It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battlestar Galactica season 5 - (spoiler alert!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

A new tournament has just begun. We have huge participation this time; there's 16 debate currently ongoing in the first round! Check them out at the link in my sig.

And the new avvy is "Mr Clean". I like his eyebrows.

Oh my, there's a Wikipedia page, of course:
en.wikipedia.org...

Comes in handy when cleaning up the aforementioned resurrection gunk.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
OK you they've brought Gauis and six story back. He's really becoming the Jesus figure, I noticed his strongest right hand 'apostle' was Paula/Paul... maybe Im just reading into it?

Do we think he's going to be Daniel, ? How else can he tap into a six? Crazy is also an option, I accept that. But gosh I do enjoy him and all his stupidity, he's the most human person on the fleet.

Ellen is back to being a drunken slapper...Good.

I hope they still answer the questions raised from the beginning, like why Gaius is communicating with cylons. Will they find a home etc....
Interestingly, one of the questions seems to have been answered, the cylons maintained there was 1 creator or god, but it was the 5? The 6 still mentioned God> What do they mean? Do they refer to Ellen as creator, I thought she said they were creations by humans from the original tribes? Or did hshe say they were created by the same creator for humans? I think I missed something there.. .They now know they were created by Ellen etc.... Not that I really care about the God thing, but its been quite a focus of the show.

How many more eps till the end? What in Hera's name can replace it?

[edit on 21-2-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
One of the things I've always liked about the show is how they play with stuff - like the Cylons being like the US occupying Iraq and the humans taking the place of the Iraqis. It turns out that the "one true god" religion came from the Centurions, which is hardly what you'd expect. Certainly Vavil doesn't seem to go for it.

The original show was heavily influenced by Mormon theology because the creator was a Mormon. Apparently "Kolob" was a planet or something in Mormon myth.

The whole business of how Mormonism came into being is kind of interesting, if you've ever looked into it, btw - there's an angel/ET type figure who gets the original prophet to go and dig up the Book of Mormon, or something... sorry, memory is hazy and I'm feeling too idle to link even the wiki entry. Huh.

But, yes, it's the way RDM and whoever else is willing to subvert our expectations of the good guys and bad guys and what they believe in that's part of the charm of the series.

And WHAT an episode! I found it quite upsetting at times. James Callis is really good at portraying Baltar's hopeless weakness for the fair sex... that scene where he's chatting up the woman whose son is also named Gaius - and thinking he's named after him - it's squirmingly embarrassing. Good to see the old Six back (chip six, as she's known on other forums).

And Ellen... that Earth Mother persona didn't last long, did it> It didn't last five minutes once she was reunited with Saul. Getting Caprica to lose the baby... will she pay for that I wonder? It definitely suited her - it means Caprica's grip on Saul is weaker, and you can't help thinking that the pull of a millenia-old dysfunctional relationship is incredibly strong.

And you know Boomer and Tyrol are going to get it together again.

It IS becoming a bit of a soap opera - but quite a lot hinges on the personal relationships.

Saul is still my main man, though. He's loyal and vulnerable, with a good heart, tries to do the right thing but fraks up occasionally... and his performance after losing the baby was immense.

The scenes with Ellen were brilliant, too. Her seemingly casual "who'd you frak?" comment, and then going off the deep end when she found it was Six... and the whole business with the vote... devious bitch. Just trouble, still. Remember when she tried it on with Lee back in season 2?

Gaius has GOT to have Cylon blood somehow, somewhere... got to. The one thing I find implausible about the character is that he's so obviously weak, yet seems to attract followers. This is a contradiction I find difficult to swallow.

But if he's Daniel, how come Ellen hasn't sought him out? It doesn't make sense. Of course, if he IS Daniel, it not only explains his having Chip Six in his head, it also explains Chip Gaius in her head - remember when she was back on Caprica in Season 2, when we first met Anders? D'anna put Caprica and Boomer together and Chip Gaius was warning Caprica Six about D'anna's machinations?

I don't know if I go with the Christ comparisons, though. Gaius is too weak and too much of a **** for that to work for me. Interesting Paul/Paula observation, though.

I bet when Sam Anders wakes up he's got all his memories back. That'll be interesting.

So, next week... Sam wakes up... will Sam recognise Gaius as Daniel?

Also, if Boomer can find the fleet in the Raptor, how come the rest of the Cylons haven't yet showed up? I'd say that's got to be soon.

After last week's episode, I felt really buoyed... after this weeks I feel a lot sadder and more insecure for all of them. It couls all go horribly wrong - and Gaius' speech about losing Galactica bit by bit was bang on the money... which is why he got his guns... I smess a showdown with the Sons of Ares coming up, too...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
For those of you getting confused lately like me lol, this guy summed it all up, now I have a much better understanding, assuming he got it all right.
poptimal.com...

I love all the characters in Battlestar Galactica, each one is great in their own way, but to me I just love Dr Baltar! Like someone else just said, he might be the most human character there. To me he's also the most entertaining and possibly the most interesting character on the show.

Also in my opinion Baltar is not really that weak, I think he's possibly one of the strongest characters on the show, it may not be obvious like Adama's strength for example, but Baltar obviously has problems he faces daily, yet he gets through it, and comes out winning each time. He may appear weak, he may even think he's weak and he may make weak choices, but there is powerful strength behind all that. Strength that comes from overcoming his weakness.

A good example of his strength was when he talked to Gaeta , Baltar tried to forget about their past with each other, and tried to help Gaeta in his final hours before death. That was a great moment, one we should all learn from.

rich23, I forgot about that moment with Baltar in the sixes head instead! Very interesting.

The last episode wasn't that great, but I know the next few will be amazing, can't wait!

[edit on 21-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I reckon Sam wont remember a thing, but Ellens meant to remember everything anyway I thought? After her resurrection?

Have they explained why they wiped their earth memories? the final 5?
How long were they on Caprica etc. When did the memory change take place?

There was a 1st cylon war with the toasters remember? Were they there then?
Why would their 'children' skin jobs work with the toasters if they were made by peaceful cylons?

me con-fu-sed!!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The reason the Final Five didn't remember is that Cavil wiped their memories and substituted false ones, and put them into the colonies for a ringside seat at the attack.

I admit I'm confused about the timeline and who attacked Earth originally... if it was the Cylons how come the human Cylons had evolved and how come... oh... head hurts... don't know.

If I make sense of it I'll post again...

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Gosh How did I miss that part about the memory wipe? Still doesnt make sense? He acted like he didn't know the final 5 only Deanna did?

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

You need to have seen Episode 4.15, that's where it all came out, when Ellen downloaded.

But it does explain why he had to have D'anna boxed when she'd seen the faces of the Final Five. He wouldn't want her running around shooting her mouth off about that.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
A few brief episode notes:

1. EJO can't play "drunk Adama" worth beans. It was painful seeing him try.

2. Ellen's line in sickbay, when everyone was talking at once, was great: "You're always poisoning me! Drowning me in poison!". I guess she's not in denial, or anything.

3. Baltar's line, line of the episode: "True strength comes from within.... And guns! Bigger guns!"

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Boy
you aint kidding! I didnt realise he was meant to be drunk? :w:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Gosh, on my own here... I thought he was ok at the drunk thing. He has to do it a lot, lately, after all. I agree about the Baltar line, though. But talking of painful - the scenes where he's rationalising obvious self-interest through altruism - those I find painful to watch, perhaps because James Callis makes it all so naked.

Actually, now that I think about it (this is an edit addition to the post) we didn't see the discussion in which Baltar persuaded Adama to give him guns. I think there's a good reason for that - they couldn't make it work. Sober reflection leaves me of the opinion that the last thing Adama would want to do is give arms out to civilians, especially ones led by Baltar.

"I don't know how you did it, Gaius". Indeed.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by rich23]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Very emotional type of episode, I liked it.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I've just found this thread, and really appreciate all the information. I wonder if someone can help me out, I don't always pay enough attention.

I've 'got' how the final 5 were placed to have the ringside seat for the war, but how was it engineered that they would all be rescued? Or was John/Cavil expecting them all to die?

It seems a bit of a coincidence that they should all play such a key part in the fleet and out of all the thousands of survivors, they knew each other or were so placed that when they started to awaken they were in the same vicinity.

When this series ends I'm planning to watch all 4 series on DVD over a few days to see if I can follow it better.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

I imagine there might have been some kind of compulsion or steering from Cavil. Sort of a like a 'trigger', for example when Boomer shot Adama in season 1. Or, there might be 'steering' of a higher sort: the "one true God" pulling the strings, or something the Cylons have been calling the "one true God". I was happy to see a mention of that in this latest episode (will have to watch it again for the exact phrasing), I was worried the "manipulated circumstance", such as the fleet's presence at the supernova and the Temple of The Five, might be forgotten and left unexplained. I'm hopeful now that it's something that will be addressed in the series wrap-up. Whew!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Only two episodes left! One of them being tonight!!! I'm SO excited.

Has there been a total loss of interest in this thread?

How in the frak are they going to tie up all the loose ends in two episodes? Is the last one like a mini movie of 2 hrs long?

This has been, by far, some of the best writing and effects in televsion I've ever seen. ::blush:: And I've seen a lot.

Thanks for pointing out in above post about Baltars right hand woman being named Paula. I've thought for a long time they were putting him in the 'christ' role. Also did you notice his logo/banner is almost exactly the same as that xtian fish?

So many questions. This show is going to be the highlight of my day....is that sad? Oh, who gives a frak!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed the MASSIVE "get out of jail free" card that RDM has written in?

Hint: it's to do with what happened to Starbuck.

There could be some happy endings available, maybe even for Laura.

Cavil's going to be boxed, I reckon.

Or maybe they'll stay true and keep it dark. It's humanity's final chapter, Gaius, and you'll be there to write it...

MAYBE he'll do one truly self-sacrificing thing.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

Or maybe they'll stay true and keep it dark. It's humanity's final chapter, Gaius, and you'll be there to write it...

MAYBE he'll do one truly self-sacrificing thing.

Yeah I'm also getting that feeling, he might do something that will shock and amaze people. I think he now see's what he was, and what people see in him. It's possible he's going to want to make a change.

I was hoping he was going to go to the other side, when everyone was choosing to go save the girl or not.

P.S Great acting by Baltar in the scene with his father, maybe a bit over the top, but I thought he acted pretty good!

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I check the threads on the Sci-Fi forum, apparently in the "next week on BSG" trailer, he's on the mission. He's got to be. They have to tie up the continual thing with him and Cap in the Opera House. That's why Roslin had to wig up and go, too.

I just hope RDM doesn't make too much use of that "get out of jail free" card...

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
And finally we have the 'dying leader' prophesy being addressed. Looks like everyone though it was talking about finding Earth - guess what, they were wrong! And the Opera House vision is still being brought together! The focus of Hera's music is quite interesting; I wonder if there's going to be another triggered revelation, like with the last song that activated the final five?

Here's an interesting thought: consider the situation of the final five, when they first discovered the Cylon Centurions. Would they be completely trusting? These are very intelligent people, perhaps they themselves created some kind of hidden trigger mechanisms in their future incarnations, in order to handle the various contingencies that they could have though of. What if they did all that before even first interacting with the Cylons? Since they obvious had the technology, who's to tell how much re-engineering they did upon themselves?

That would certainly explain the final five 'memory reboot'. I don't think Cavil planned that.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
What have we seen of the Opera House? We've seen that Baltar and Six disappear with Hera. Boomer and Roslin are running around in there. Is it also where the reincarnating Cylons see the faces of the final five? Is that the same place?

"You are the harbinger of death Kara Thrace"...

OK... no-one's biting about the Get Out Of Jail Free Card... it's resurrection technology. The colony must have been in orbit around Earth for Starbuck to have come back.

And I can't help thinking all those flashbacks this week meant something. More than character development... on the subject of which, I also have to say, that Six's compassionate act towards Baltar's dad sits very oddly with someone who could break a baby's neck just for the fun of it, which she did in the mini-series, if anyone remembers. (One of my favourite moments, along with her very first entrance - "are you alive?")

And I get the feeling that it won't be some kind of reboot for the final five, it'll be something else altogether... the Cylon God?

Man, it's going to be the end of an era, it really is. And those loose ends better be tied up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join