Battlestar Galactica season 5 - (spoiler alert!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Just watched the premier episode of season 5 (or 4.5, if you want to number it that way). Wow!

I've been a fan of this series from the start; and this new season keep delivering the awesomeness! Too long a wait since the end of season 4, in my opinion..

Many questions answered, and cans-of-worms opened in this latest episode:

- SPOILER ALERT! -

So now we know who the 5th cylon is - and the timeline of the series has become much more definitive! I'd always suspected (since season 3, at least), that the series was playing in the future, but now we know (do we?) that it's the far future: Two thousand years, minimum!

The origin of the twelve colonies is now established - Earth is not the thirteenth colony?!? It was just called that by the remnants of the last cylon war, who went on to Kobol, perhaps?

And the 'mastermind' of the creation of the cylons? The mysterious 'fifth' - who we now have identified: "It's all in place!" Will we see more of this in the 'Caprica' spin-off?

So, at the end we have the fleet, such as it now is, leaving Earth yet again - all this has happened before - no lingering? Although they left it ambiguous as to whether there are future revelations to be discovered on Earth.

Thoughts? Predictions? More ramblings later after I've had a chance to digest the episode further!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I just read some of your post because I haven't see this episode yet, 4.5 maybe, but they say it's still 4, and yes it was a looong wait just to see it finish forever haha.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Why are you here?

You have no tv!

Typical ...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Okay wait - now I'm confused!

Suddenly the fleet's human-cylon detector works perfectly, and on thousand year old bones, no less? And all human on earth at the time (presumably, our present day) were cylons?? And if Ellen's the fifth, then what's Starbuck? Some kind of copy/clone? And were the cylons created twice, on Earth, Kobol, or Caprica??

Aargh!!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The episodes 5 is still in the process!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

There is so much that was wrong with that episode.

First of all, you would think that when they discovered that all of Earth's inhabitants WERE CYLON (let's assume the friendly Cylons told them how to analyze bones, but you are right they writers 'owe' us that), that they might have spent a little more time PONDERING THE IMPLICATIONS as opposed to laying listlessly in hallways and having drunken drama-queen-I'm-too-sissy-to-commit-suicide-encounters.

And I agree, Cara could have been a little more thoughtful about what exactly she is, (or isn't) as opposed to simply posing and then passively/pensively burning her old corpse.

And why are they leaving Earth? Wouldn't it be much more prudent and logical to spend a bit more time excavating to try to figure out what exactly happened and what this means for the race of 'humans'?

It seems to me that there is a line of logic that would dictate that the 'humans' from the 12 Tribes are the descendants of the survivors from Earth, which means everybody's a Cylon and the Final Five engineered the whole thing to see if they could create a different outcome or if it is simply their nature -- in this version they have programmed forgetfulness into themsleves and their 'line' of new proto-humans, give them a Religion/Belief-System and see what happens.

(Since Tygh fracked Six and knocked her up, we know that at the very least the Final Five have procreative capabilities)

I HATED THAT WHOLE EPISODE, the only good thing is that what's-her-face shot herself after they scared us all into thinking they were going to start another snoozefest-storyline with her, but fortunately that was just a nasty McGuffin on the writers part (which took-up way too much very valuable, last season time).

EDIT: to fix many, many typos (I wrote the original post while doing three other things) and to add a few more choice thoughts... Enjoy!

[edit on 19-1-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt

There is so much that was wrong with that episode.

First of all, you would think that when they discovered that all of Earth's inhabitants WERE CYLON (let's assume the friendly Cylons told them how to analyze bones, but you are right they writers 'owe' us that), that they might have spent a little more time PONDERING THE IMPLICATIONS as opposed to laying listlessly in hallways and having drunken drama-queen-I'm-too-sissy-to-commit-suicide-encounters.

And I agree, Cara could have been a little more thoughtful about what exactly she is, (or isn't) as opposed to simply posing and then passively/pensively burning her old corpse.

And why are they leaving Earth? Wouldn't it be much more prudent and logical to spend a bit more time excavating to try to figure out what exactly happened and what this means for the race of 'humans'?

I had the same thoughts, but then I thought about past episodes and the characters, their blind hatred towards the cylons, especially the president, for good cause, but there were flaws in their way of thinking. Not enough curiosity etc.

So what I'm saying is, the things that annoyed you in this episode probably is to be expected from these characters lol.

Anyway when that girl shot herself, it was a bit of a suprise, it makes me think if there is another reason for it, but probably not, she just gave up, and wanted the happy feeling to last forever, so she killed herself lol.

Anyway I'm glad it's back! I think that this episode was just to set the path for what's to come, and the next episodes will concentrate on things we want more. I think the episode felt lacking to me because there was no Dr Baltar and Number 6!

Hope they are in the next episode.

[edit on 20-1-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

The humans didn't figure out that the bones were Cylon in nature. The Cylon's scanned them using their technology.
Baltar informs Roslin when she proposes her theory about the bones being human "that's what we thought until we tested the bones."
Six finishes "250 skeletons so far. From four different sites on the planet using our protocols."
Baltar interrupts "the results are conclusive."
Adama "What's your point?"
ColTigh: "Their not human. Their cylons."

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Firstly, BSG rocks
secondly, this episode didnt.

Does that make Cara a cylon if there are 2 of her? Is the constantly pissed drunk slapper wife of saul just a red herring? We saw her shagging that cylon on new caprica and there was no red spine remember ?

After 2000 years why is Cara's body the only one still with flesh and clothes? she lifted a heavy body, not a skeleton like everyone else had ( i know Im being picky) They were in a wet environment and bones only last a couple of hundred years outside of extreme dry heat or water logged conditions

So Saul was forgiven and given his old post back...weak!

Why is the President (moses copyrighted character) not dead if its earth? Moses dropped dead at MT Nebo when he pointed to the holy land without making it there, and she was meant to do the same, maybe this isnt earth? The propechy was right because they got the arrow of apollo from it...anyway....

They said the 13th tribe was cylon, but the 13th tribe left the old planet (not caprica, the orginal one when they had the gods , cant remember its name now) before cylons were made? confused

I never understood why they didnt check cara with the cylon detector that Gauis made when she came back from the dead...

The names they use Thrace , Apollo, Gauis etc are all ancient names which I always thought meant they would end up in a classical period earth, so im not sure this is earth?

Most importantly why didnt Zarac change his hair from the 70's apollo style?

Anyway its starting to get messy for me. Hope some one can clear up things if I missed them.
But it still the best show on TV

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I think Kara was there recently not 2000 years ago, and somehow came back but doesn't remember how.

I'm a bit confused too haha.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Yes it's sort of like they decided to make a list of all the questions people would want answered in the last 10 episodes, and then answer them all, confusingly, in one.

I do think that Kara is not a Cylon, but rather a clone/duplicate of some type. And she was duplicated when her raptor blew up (or was transported?) to Earth, thus the corpse she found (the original Kara?) is not very old.

So, what if we have:
1. All humans live on Kobol, thousands of years ago
2. Kobol disaster of some sort
3. 13 colonies leave, one goes to Earth
4. Earth colony genetically diverges
5. Earth invents "human downloading", into cloned/duplicated bodies
6. Survivors of Earth (the final 5) leave Earth and live hidden from 12 remaining colonies
7. Final 5 'encourage' the creation of Cylons on Caprica
8. Caprican cylons revolt, under hidden leadership of final 5
9. 12 colonies destroyed, RTFF sets out, series begins

That would explain why the humans bones on Earth all tested as 'cylon' - their genetic drift matches the template for the 'humanform' cylons.

Plus, perhaps Kara was duplicated, somehow, by an automated Earth downloading / recreation system, mentioned by Tigh's wife, Ellen, in the past, as being "all set", and somehow still active?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

spoiler alert

Lemme guess...even more of the crew are now Cylons?

It's why I could never get into this revamp. The whole thing of the old show was that the Cylons always had trouble finding them. With a Cylon (or FIVE) on board...wouldn't it be kind of a done deal, and the humans go bye-bye...???

I'll take my Cylons with shiny armor and red, back-and-forth lights for eyes, thanks...and Viper pilots that actually fly in space and have dogfights.....

I tried watching a few episodes and it was more like West Wing in Space...

And, I liked Baltar as a traitor obsessed with power and revenge on Adama, sitting in a Base Star, gabbing with Lucifer on his next big failure....

:shk:

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I accept this hypothesis MR MClean, it's nice and tidy.
Still wobbly on Kara and time jumps, but i hope they get to that.

So, what if we have:
1. All humans live on Kobol, thousands of years ago
2. Kobol disaster of some sort
3. 13 colonies leave, one goes to Earth
4. Earth colony genetically diverges
5. Earth invents "human downloading", into cloned/duplicated bodies
6. Survivors of Earth (the final 5) leave Earth and live hidden from 12 remaining colonies
7. Final 5 'encourage' the creation of Cylons on Caprica
8. Caprican cylons revolt, under hidden leadership of final 5
9. 12 colonies destroyed, RTFF sets out, series begins

That would explain why the humans bones on Earth all tested as 'cylon' - their genetic drift matches the template for the 'humanform' cylons.

Plus, perhaps Kara was duplicated, somehow, by an automated Earth downloading / recreation system, mentioned by Tigh's wife, Ellen, in the past, as being "all set", and somehow still active?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I've been a huge fan of this programme from the start and am sad that it's drawing to a close.

I think that although Edward James Olmos was incredible to start with, they guy who plays Saul Tigh has just surpassed him and built an amazing character. When he gave the poisoned drink to his wife... and then to find out she's the fifth. Ouch.

And when the four Cylons are discussing what to do and someone says something about owning up, Tigh just growls, "the airlock's gonna get pretty frackin' crowded..."

I've enjoyed the two episodes so far, although I guess I was glad that Dualla blew her brains out for the same reasons as TheWayISeeIt. It was also something of a shocker.

And I have to say that when Ellen Tigh first showed up, I thought, "Cylon". Then time passed and she was such a lush and a frack-up, and then of course died. Who would have thought they'd reveal the last one in such a way? I can't figure out if it's cool or lame, it's strange.

And I'm starting to really want to see Gaeta get his comeuppance. He's become a real jerk.

So - there are lots of open questions. This is neither Heroes nor Lost, so I'm expecting some intelligible answers to be emerging over the next eight episodes.

IF that was Earth, why was everyone a Cylon?
How did Kara Thrace get reborn?
How did Ellen Tigh know she was going to be reincarnated?
How has Baltar been having Caprica 6 hallucinations all along that seem to have manipulated him?
How has Roslin been dreaming about the opera house?
Where is the opera house?
What's Hera's role in all this?
What about Cavil and the rest of the Cylons?

I think one thing it's probably safe to say is that there is an element that's manipulating all of this that we haven't yet seen. I have a vague feeling that possibly the hybrids may know something about this.

We're going to have to find out who brought Starbuck back from the dead, and who or what she really is. And sooner, rather than later, I'd think. If and when that happens, we'll get closer to some answers... I hope.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz

I have to say I rather like that idea... but if so, why didn't it recreate all the people who died in the original Armageddon? Why Kara, why now?

It was cool when they found the Viper and Leoben was freaked out and started backing away from her. I can't help wondering if she does fall for him eventually. It would be funny if he really had foreseen a future where she does love him and doesn't keep stabbing him in the neck with a fork...

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Just watched the latest. A nice tight episode. Has me wondering, where was the cylon basestar response during all of this? Surely they had personnel involved.

I'm a little disappointed that we're focusing - again! - on intra-fleet discord. I would have liked to have seen more plot arc developments.

Best line of the episode:
"Well, semper frackin' fi"

And the most pointed exchange:
Lee: "we can pretend to put it behind us, exchange lofty words about an alliance, but if this is what survival has come to..."
Adama: "It's all we got, now calm down"
Lee: "It's all they left us"

Now, was Baltar referring to the pen in the neck, or the pen that signed the gun-held document, to which Gaita mis-testified?

The making of Gaita-super-villain seemed a little too abrupt to me; hopefully we won't have to bear an episode of 'him realising the burdens that Adama has shouldered', and spelling it out explicitly for the audience in an honor-ridden angst-fest.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Intense episode....

I'm feel a bit worried about Adama now. I feel pretty emotional haha.

How many more episodes do we have now?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
They've only got seven more episodes left.

Eeriest moment for me was when Starbuck kissed Lee Adama and made the crack about being alive. It recalled the really freaky first moment when the Six first appeared on board the space station where the human's waiting all on his own...

She slinks up to him and asks, "Are you alive?"

Then she bends down and kisses him as he's sitting at his desk.

Just at that moment, the Basestar blows up the station: she keeps kissing him, though he's trying to pull away in panic as the explosions get nearer.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Gaita as a super villian, he kinda doesnt cut it does he? But I wouldn't say it was overnight, I think if I'd been through what he had been through including the leg bit, I would have gone all Fletcher Christian way before the truce.
Zarek is a good villian, because you can tell this dude is p*ssed off in real life that they are re-doing his tv series!

I don't know why these last 3 episodes are bugging me? I feel like maybe they should have finished at earth, that actually would have rocked, left it open for a different series way down the track when they have more time.

Now they are changing story lines and changing characters and explaining things away, quite poorly.

I wish they would do a new series down a few hundred years down the line. Not a prequal on Caprica, did they learn nothing from Star Wars and JA JA?

This episode was better than the last 2 though, especially when Kara came out guns-a-blazin!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone's seen the previews for next week, but apparently Ellen Tigh's downloading and is going to be back next week. Now I don't normally indulge in this kind of nonsense, but I can't help myself...

OMG!!!!!!!

Nah. Can't do emoticons. Just can't get to it. There's a clear and inverse relationship between intelligence of post and number of emoticons.

Annnny wayyyy...

Is she going to be upset that Saul killed her? Where is she going to reincanate? My guess it would have to be on the Cylon fleet, so... have they got resurrection tech back? What is she going to do? (My guess is she might start with fracking the Cavils, and not in a good way...)

And, yes, of course Zarek and Gaeta went down: I was surprised that Zarek killed the Quorum, but the thing about an episode like this is that you kind of know what's going to happen. But next week: new can of worms...

And my guess is that Sam Anders will still be alive. I don't think they can off the Final Five. But of course, if Ellen Tigh can resurrect, he should be able to as well.

It was nice getting a brief flash of Baltar back to his old self again. The relationship between him and Six has always been a rich source of comedy and seeing him getting that panicky look while yet another six is trying to kiss him was brilliant. But, gosh, he's grown and learned and found God (bleurghhhh) so he has to think about doing the responsible thing.

The trouble with action-packed eps like this one is that you don't get enough time with the characters you like. It was cool that Romo Lamkin was back, but there just wasn't enough of him. Likewise Baltar. It just all seemed a bit rushed.

Only six episodes left.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join