It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor plans to lay off hundreds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
January 15. 2009, Maryland Governor plans to lay off hundreds of state workers....

www.baltimoresun.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
FTA:

Click here to find out more!
Text size: increase text sizedecrease text size
Governor plans to lay off hundreds of state workers
O'Malley, legislature faced with closing $1.9 billion budget shortfall

By Gadi Dechter and Laura Smitherman
January 15, 2009

Gov. Martin O'Malley is planning to lay off hundreds of state workers and is asking for other labor concessions to help close a nearly $2 billion budget gap projected for the fiscal year that begins in July.

That warning came hours before the Maryland General Assembly convened yesterday with ceremonial speeches pledging "One Maryland" unity.

But signs of discord soon surfaced between the Democratic governor and lawmakers, who must ratify the budget, revealing tensions aggravated by economic woes that are sure to grow as the 90-day session unfolds.

When he submits his budget next week, O'Malley will ask the legislature to approve between 500 and 1,000 layoffs, aides said, in an executive branch work force of more than 70,000.

I see more and more states dealing with budget shortfalls. I am now wondering who is next. I just can't see how we can bail out a corporation then see people getting laid off, delaying tax refunds and other stuff. This is just amazing.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
its called systematic take over..

its a war going on here...

People who print money vs the people who value it

the usa and the world are in deep # they are trying to work out some kinda well you have this i have this kinda thing...

and we the plebs are stuck in the middle unless we start kicking some ass

i await the ass kicking trust me on this

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by theresult

the elites will throw you in the FEMA genocide camps

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
California

Maryland

Who's next?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Hey. Just FYI Tennessee is getting it too. The news said about 2000 regardless if the government helps out or not. We are like 8 million off budget. My husband and I are both out of work and cannot find jobs and we have worked since highschool (about 16 years) with no problems. We have never been without work. Gets better every day don't it.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Get rid of a lot of these state workers and hire contractors.

Most of the state workers are lazy, overpaid, and most contractors could do a lot better job for less money.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Yep!

Tennessee, Alabama, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maine, Idaho, Virginia, Michigan

The list just keeps getting longer

top topics

join