It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormons baptize holocaust dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
well it was a pracitce that was to be discontinued, but apparently the mormons had never stopped, and why? because the jewish need to be saved, wow.
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040410/ap_on_re_us/baptizing_the_dead

AF1

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   

"It's ridiculous for people to pretend they have the key to heaven," said Rabbi Marvin Hier, dean and founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles. "And even if they say they want to do somebody a favor ... it's not a symbol of love. It's a symbol of arrogance."

That about sums it all up.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This is quite pathetic, a freind of mine is a morman, and might I say I am finding it quite hard to remain freinds with her cultish close-minded ways.

Deep

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I know they were doing this as reciently as 1999. My daughter, at that time a LDS (Mormon) youth, was given the names of Jewish people, and the youth did baptisms for them in the Orlando, Florida Temple.

Remember, in '___' techings, many things continue after Death, including Marriage(s), Sex, and re-production. In order for families to be together forever, if Covenents that were not made in this World, your surviviors will do that work in the Temple for you.

The LDS church has the largest Geneology Record system in the World. The reason is so they can do these "works" in the Temple for their Dead loved ones (Including baptising the Dead)

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I live in southern Utah -- Mormon breeding grounds, perhaps. Anyway, I was a Mormon for a long time, but split because of things like this. We were taught that people could not go to "heaven" if they were not baptized -- baptisms for the dead, as they are called. I always thought it odd that God would not let people into "his kingdom" because they hadn't had the opportunity to explore the church these members live by. Very contradictory, but isn't most religion?

Basically, from what I remember, the process was rather simple. Usually performed by the younger crowd -- 12-18 -- baptisms for the dead were performed in a Mormon temple. A temple authority stands in a baptismal font with the subject, recites a prayer (funny thing, they always told us to pray with our heart; doesn't seem to be the case) and dunks them. This was considered a very moving experience -- quite frankly, I never cared to do it.

They still happen, too -- my sister, who is a member, went no less than a month or two ago.

Hitler has also had baptisms for the dead performed in his name. Interesting, eh?

[Edited on 4-18-04 by skamarth]

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This isn't far fetched from the Christian point of view.

It doesn't matter if your a Mormon, Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, or any other of the thousand of different sects of Christianity.

They all believe that if your not Christian you will go to hell.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

They all believe that if your not Christian you will go to hell.

Pretty much all religions say this same thing.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Pretty much all religions say this same thing.

Wrong.

Islam does not share that belief.

It is written in the Noble Qur'an that Jews, Christians, and Muslims will all have their reward with God.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Wrong.

Islam does not share that belief.

It is written in the Noble Qur'an that Jews, Christians, and Muslims will all have their reward with God.

What about Buddhists, Hindus, Shintoists, etc.? Atheists?

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
What about Buddhists, Hindus, Shintoists, etc.? Atheists?

Surah 2:62

Those who believe in the Qur'an, and those who believe in the Jewish Scriptures, and the Christians and the Sabians and who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord: On them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

I don't think the true identity of the Sabians has been revealed but I've read essays that it may be the people in Asia.

However, it's written whoever believes in God and the Last Day and works good deeds shall be rewarded.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I always wonder how the Mormons would like it if they and their ancestors were consecrated to Judaism, Islam, paganism, etc. Can you imagine the furor?

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
What does it matter? These people are dead, so they are not choosing to be baptized into the Morman religion. As such, can this posthumous baptism really affect their afterlife?

Conversly, what if the Mormans are right and these posthumous baptisms do help these souls get into heaven? Aren't they doing a good thing then?

"If you don't have faith in God then die and find there is an afterlife, you go to hell and lose everything.

If you have faith in God, then die and there is no afterlife you have lost nothing.

If you have faith in God, then die and there is an afterlife, you get to go to heaven.

Therefore, you have nothing to lose by having faith and everything to gain." - Albert Einstein

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by Mr No One]

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Mormons DO NOT believe "non-members" will go to hell. They believe that only those who reject the truth after it has been revealed in its fullness and then afterwards deny the truth will be cast out to live with the devil.

Might I also add that Hell is not only a place, but a thing. Hell is having to live eternity knowing that you could have done better. Hell is living eternity alone, knowing you scewed your life up. Hell is nothing but eternal unworthiness and guilt. No amount of baptising will clense a guilty, unrepentant soul... dead or alive.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The yahoo link is dead. Odd

Anyway, on an off-note, while attempting to find a valid link This thread showed up as about the 6th link on google. This is ood.

top topics

join