It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has ATS considered charging for membership?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
i quite like this site and given enough incentive might even pay a fee to be able to use it.

kind of like other sites where basic membership is free but you have to pay for additional features that make the site either more fun or easier to navigate etc, etc.

just wondering.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
if it does, its numbers will fall and this site will be but a memory.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ll__raine__ll

'information should be free', that's the type of mentality of most people on here I'd say, and if they changed that a lot of people would leave, not only because they couldn't afford it but because of the first statement mentioned.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I have been think about starting my own ATS-like forums for a while now. If ATS started charging for membership I would start building my own ATS-like forum immediately.

[edit on 16/1/09 by Pfeil]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
A fool and their money are soon parted. Why offer money when it's free? Sure it will keep out a lot of the hoaxers/jokers but it will also keep out people who are interested in this stuff that cannot afford it or refuse to pay for it. With the economy the way it is and people getting laid off and worrying about paying mortgages and putting food on the table, it would be impossible for some to justify paying for extras. Even as cool as this site is.

[edit on 1/16/2009 by Blueracer]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

i'm not saying information shouldn't be free. i'm not even saying "paid" membership should be compulsory so there's no need for anyone to leave.

all i'm saying is ... perhaps there is a way for ATS to make this site bigger and better (if they want to that is) by charging membership fees for additional features.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well at the very top of any ATS page; is an ad that links to the ATS online store. People can pay for stuff over there.

Membership fee? .. sorry, this is a place for discussion and research, NOT for education.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

i didn't know this place wasn't for education ... and i'm not sure what that's got to do with my thread anywayz, lol. but i've learned a lot about different things since i've joined ATS so whether or not education is its purpose ... it's educational none the less.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Given the amount I paid for the ATS book, I would say the site is getting some income from somewhere.
$20 bucks for a book I just -wanted- is kind of unheard of for me. I love booksales and bookfairs, but there are none this season, so I just went out and bought it.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Since you wanna debate this lol

I've learned a lot here too, but nothing practical, more informational(if that makes any sense). That's why I said research and/or discussion
No paying fees or teachers round here.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

ACK!!! How dare you even suggest this!!!! Its an outrage!!!! How Un-American!!! Oh your in NZ.

I am sure the owners have thought about this before. And I think there is a reason why there is no membership fee.

They dont need it.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 16-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

yes that makes sense ... what i've learned here isn't practical but it's interesting is all.

back to the paid membership thingy. granted in this economy the idea would go down like a lead balloon but ...

again ... i'm not suggesting we all be asked to pay for what we all now enjoy for free. i'm saying maybe ATS could offer additional features that members could sign up for and pay for.

it's completely optional ...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Has ATS considered charging for membership?

Not that I'm aware of...

... the "suggestion" comes up amidst the membership, from time to time, but the answer is Always the same.

No

Free and Open Discussion for all ... limited only by the rather minimal constraints set forth in the Terms & Conditioons agreed to.

If I were to wager a Trifecta here...

- Appreciation
- Respect
- Civility

... would seem the best "bet"

$.02

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

lol

well if they don't need it then that makes my suggestion a moot point and i for one am thankful they're giving us the use of this site for free.

i'm just not convinced they don't need it. i haven't noticed any rockefellas or rothchilds among the ATS elite.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It is fun, it is easy to navigate.

If members had to pay to use ATS they would expect everything upfront and contributions would be second on the list. Where would that "up-front" come from if not the members?

Forget it, put it out of your head.

20 lashes, buy a poster and I want see 2 new threads by sunrise or the avatar gets it.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
did everyone miss the part in the original post that said ... basic membership would be free?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This has come up several times over the years... let me restate previous statements...

There will never be a charge for any service, content, or feature associated with being a member and contributing to ATS. All site features, perks, and technology -- at all levels -- will always remain free for members.

From time to time, we may examine specific "premium" content for which there may be a fee or purchase requirement (such as our book). One of the things we're looking at is a fee-based subscription model for an electronic magazine that contains higher-tier content from recognized investigative journalists, authors, and other professionals who deal with the content areas covered by ATS.

But to be clear... there will never be fees of any type associated with ATS membership, nor will their ever be upper-tiers of membership privileges that require fees.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Heh, yeah, I can understand why you wouldn't do that. If ATS had members pay for higher tier services, you might as well be starting your own little masonic lodge.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
okey dokey then ...

two lines.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I believe that your idea is elitism at it's worst, especially when it comes to a site like this. The site shouldn't be about how pretty your avatar is compared to the hick who can't afford it. It should be PURELY about the information and viewpoints you present. That's where it begins and ends.

Take a look at the GLP website for instance. They do the same thing as the idea you propose. Have you noticed that the majority of the people who pay for the added features are the ones that rack up thousands of posts yet have nothing to say? It's like their little chit chat abode with other cutesy chit-chatters, forming their own cliques. Their posts are usually moderately pro-establishment and not very heavy on the kooky side of life (which is the lifeblood of that website). They make it a bland place to be, they talk about recession and economic issues or the daily pinned Nikkei thread but don't really delve into the really interesting 'out-there' stuff. And it's all because they have their photos in their avatars and a custom sub-title underneath their name and tend to agree with all the moderators who seem to be anti-conspiracy anyway. GLP is interesting because of the Anonymous Cowards. The Cowards either present interesting information or have a savagely cuttingly funny thing to say. With the 'paid shills' and unwitting airheads on there it's all tee-hee and ha-ha.

Project Avalon / Camelot is another example of a site that went to subscription basis. It's gone completely downhill ever since. Nobody cares about the place anymore - a shame because it had a true community spirit while it was free.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by RiotComing]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join