It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is YOUR education?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I wanted to do this regarding to the economic turmoil.

It is posted across these boards that some members are struggling to have any leisure time while others are living well. So tell me...

How old are you?
How far of an education do you have?
What did you specialize in?
Do you still live with your parents/family?
What type of economic background did you grow up in?
Regarding your education - did you do good in school?
Do you have a job?
How much did you make X amount of years ago and now?
Are you searching for a job?
Do you blame the economy?
How do you consider your financial responsibility?
Are you happy?
How long has it taken you to become to the point where you are in life, whether that being an uphill or downhill turn?
Who did you vote for in the past election (If you did not vote say so)?

This thread is not made for ANY judging of morales or ethics. We all have been given a different hand and I am curious to see the backgrounds of the people that post here on ATS!

[edit on 16-1-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I will start first. Add any information you want, but try to at least answer the questions I asked. Do not tell me I am trying to commit acts of fraud...this information is very general and could apply to hundreds of thousands of people. Just do not tell us your life story and all will be good

-I am 17.
-I am a Junior in high school.
-I plan on specializing in aerospace engineering.
-I live with family.
-A middle class family (nice house, got a first car from parents and cell phone etc).
-Top 10%-20% in school.
-No job.
-Applied at many places around my area for a job.
-Mildly. Trying to get a minimum wage job when many stores closed down sucks...no work experience does not sound good compared to those who do.
-Pretty decent (speaking for parents).
-Am I financially responsible? I would like to think I am to some extent - not that I make any money.
-Yes I am happy.

-Regarding my battle, I have been trying to do much better. Through out elementary and middle school I probably missed 300 days of school, yet still did better than almost everyone. I am trying to get my act together before its to late so I have a chance at a well paying job that I can enjoy.
-I would have originally voted for McCain but now further research leads me to sway to some other 3rd parties.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
How old are you? 23
How far of an education do you have?degree
What did you specialize in? engineering
Do you still live with your parents/family? hahahaha,not for many years
What type of economic background did you grow up in? poor
Regarding your education - did you do good in school? when i turned up
Do you have a job? no
How much did you make X amount of years ago and now? more now than before
Are you searching for a job? yes
Do you blame the economy?no
How do you consider your financial responsibility? eh.....
Are you happy? yes (the secret is to not give a damn about what other people percieve to be important and do your own thing)

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Europe]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Answers contianed in quote.

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

How old are you?... Above 43 Below 50
How far of an education do you have?... HS Grad, NMSU/ASU Masters EE/ME
What did you specialize in?.. RF propegation/EM spectrum/Electronic design
Do you still live with your parents/family?...

What type of economic background did you grow up in?.... Middle Class
Regarding your education - did you do good in school?.... Excellent
Do you have a job?.... Self Employed
How much did you make X amount of years ago and now?... 65K-80K
Are you searching for a job?.... Self Employed
Do you blame the economy? ..... No
How do you consider your financial responsibility?.... Responsible
Are you happy?.... Very
How long has it taken you to become to the point where you are in life, whether that being an uphill or downhill turn? ..years and alot of hard work
Who did you vote for in the past election (If you did not vote say so)?..did not vote.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 16-1-2009 by RFBurns]

[edit on 16-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Exactly why I threw in the Are You Happy question

I put down the living with parents Q because I do since my age and I know there are others on ATS that do also.

edit - I have added one new question in the OP...thank you for the replies. This is not the only reason I made this thread, but I think it is good for each of us to know how each of our lives are going to fully grasp what we say to each other and understand each persons perspective on various matters.

edit 2- I will also be editing my OP continually to add more questions that I seem relevant...if you have any you would like me to put into it post them up and I will do so!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
How old are you? - 18
How far of an education do you have? - Senior in High School, Accepted to college
What did you specialize in? - Going into Human Ecology- Marine Mammal Ethology/Cryptozoology. (Self-designed degree program)
Do you still live with your parents/family? - Until the fall
What type of economic background did you grow up in? - We weren't loaded... but we were okay... things have gotten worse though.
Regarding your education - did you do good in school? - 31 on the ACTs, 3.9 cumulative GPA, 4.3 GPA this term. All A's this year, honor roll all years, top 10% of class/school, advances in all the areas of state tests... you get the picture
Do you have a job? - I have two interning jobs, on and off. I also tutor.
How much did you make X amount of years ago and now? - Last year I made 9 an hour in the beginning of the year at my job in a gallery. I quit, though, and now I don't do much other than school.
Are you searching for a job? - My dad is. I'm searching for money for college.
Do you blame the economy? - It's sure not helping. Especially regarding getting money to pay for college...
How do you consider your financial responsibility? - I do spend a lot, but I'm trying not to now, and in college I plan to work as well.
Are you happy? - Not really, haha, 42k a year for school...
How long has it taken you to become to the point where you are in life, whether that being an uphill or downhill turn? - I was doing really well before the staggering price of college popped up. That and my dad losing the job he had last year, and the circumstances of me not getting financial aid.

[edit on 1/16/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

How old are you? 24
How far of an education do you have? 1 year trade school
What did you specialize in? welding/automotive/fabrication
Do you still live with your parents/family? no
What type of economic background did you grow up in? middle/upper, up for debate now
Regarding your education - did you do good in school? hell no
Do you have a job? yes
How much did you make X amount of years ago and now? 40k now, last job who knows been 6 years
Are you searching for a job? kinda but good luck right now
Do you blame the economy? nope, im not to much for blaming others/things
How do you consider your financial responsibility? uh my credit is in the 700's. does that answer the question? that one might of gone over me head, sorry.
Are you happy? hell ya, gotta love the grind

sorry RF,for cramping your style but i did not feel like retyping the questions,hope ya dont mind. ps answers are in the quoted stuffs

i dont vote,criticize me but i really dont think it really does jack. educate me if ya disagree.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Tungsten core]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
With grades and test scores like that how did you not get any scholarships? Are educational scholarships a thing of the past and are most of them only reserved for sports sadly?

What college are you going to that makes it so expensive/out of state fees/on campus?

What does your dad do?

guys - I added a new question or two in the OP so if you do not mind edit your posts when you can and include it

Reason why I included who you voted for is because statistics show that "Smarter" (Don't debate me on this for the love of god!) people vote for democrat while it seems poverty stricken people also. I just want to do some comparing here with that

Like I said before - feel free to add anything you guys and girls want to your posts outside of the questions...all I ask is to answer them but more info the merrier.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Reason why I included who you voted for is because statistics show that "Smarter" (Don't debate me on this for the love of god!) people vote for democrat while it seems poverty stricken people also. I just want to do some comparing here with that

Not trying to debate here just trying to clarify,is it the rich that vote for the republicans then? once again not looking for anything more than an understanding!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
How old are you?17
How far of an education do you have?I'm a high school senior.
What did you specialize in?being the best person I could be.
Do you still live with your parents/family?my mom.
What type of economic background did you grow up in?poor most of my life, now middle class, but probably not for long.
Regarding your education - did you do good in school?I did great until I found it mostly pointless.
Do you have a job?no.
How much did you make X amount of years ago and now?none.
Are you searching for a job?not right now.
Do you blame the economy?For what?
How do you consider your financial responsibility?Excellent.
Are you happy?most of the time.
How long has it taken you to become to the point where you are in life, whether that being an uphill or downhill turn?17 years, ?
Who did you vote for in the past election (If you did not vote say so)?I did not vote.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
With grades and test scores like that how did you not get any scholarships? Are educational scholarships a thing of the past and are most of them only reserved for sports sadly?
-It's because a lot of them are linked to financial need, which I don't technically have, according to the legal guidelines on this form called the FAFSA. Some are sports, some are religious or related to companies or clubs that your family belongs to, but the truth is more people are applying for scholarships than ever before. I also went to public high school, which may have been a bad choice. I met with my principal today who is personally looking for scholarships to sign me up for, and I signed up for a ton of them myself... it's just... the odds are against you. Good grades get you into college. Miracles get you scholarships.

What college are you going to that makes it so expensive/out of state fees/on campus?
-It's out of state, in Maine. It has only 300 kids so it doesn't have a ton of money to give out in the form of scholarships. It needs a lot of money because a huge percentage of the students are international, and the school usually pays for their full tuition. They also have really awesome professors, labs, and food programs (all organic/free-range or vegan)... but it adds up. It is the first college to attain carbon neutrality (Green college) but the new dorms with solar panels and composite toilets were really expensive, even if they do help the environment. Also, the school has a HUGE opportunity to travel abroad, wherever you want. So a lot of money goes to that, too.

What does your dad do?
-He's a chemical engineer.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Although the OP might not mean any harm, offering any personal information whatsoever that ANYONE can read over the internet is NOT RECOMMENDED!

I have no ill intention here, and don't mean to troll or derail your thread. Knowing more about the people you're engaging in conversations online with seems like a cool thing to know,,,however,...you're just asking to be a target if you publicly announce how much money you make. on a forum that, again, anyone can read.

Listing your credentials would also be an indication of your income, again possibly making you a target.

Trust me, finding out who you are, and where you live is not as hard as you might think.

P.S. No need to jump in and explain proxies or onion routing, and yes...your personal information at your ISP level is only as secure as the integrity of their employees.

Peace

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

With your stats scholarships are easy to get, but you are going to a boutique college and not a major research university. The College of the Atlantic only has a ~20 million dollar endowment. At a research university you could probably get 1/2 to 3/4s of it paid for. Its sort of interesting too, because a research university is likely to be far more prestigious than a teaching college.

I was kind of sad reading your response because you are saddling yourself with a lot of debt. Given the degree program, how are you going to pay all that off and what type of job are you looking for? It will be very hard to get a graduate degree with that type of program. 42k a year for 4 years is $168,000 - which is more debt than MDs take out and they can start out at $200,000.00 a year.

Your payments are going to be almost $2,000 A MONTH for those type of loan numbers. And you'll only have a undergraduate degree.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
lernmore

eh im not to big on being a big mystery,besides the worst thing they can do is kill me.
Besides who really cares,well i speak for my self but i aint got nothing to hide,except for some dirty mags and my receding hair line. so a pat on the back to who ever wastes the time making me a target or a victim haha good luck.

i look at it this way,they can do what ever they want but so can i. TOUCHE

sorry maybe i just did what you said wasnt needed? but i did it so much love and oh well

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Tungsten core]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

Yeah... I know all of this. But it's small, and I'll do well there. If I don't get any financial aid my second year if my dad stays in the position he is in now, then I may transfer.

I do plan to go to graduate school, which will postpone my loan payments and hopefully I would eventually get a well-paying job. If not... well, I can always find something else to do besides field work and research. If I had to I could get a teaching certification on top of my degrees and do that. But, I know the cost is tremendous.. that's why I'm applying to every scholarship that I can, asking family members for financial help, and hoping that my dad will get another job soon.

Edit- I could also go to veterinary school or medical school with the degree in human ecology, open a business, etc. if the research stuff doesn't work out. It's more important to me to have a job that I love... not one that pays well and comes from a school that I wouldn't be happy living at for the next four years. I've already sent in my deposit for the first term, but I will leave the school if I'm unhappy/really can't afford it...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
How old are you? 34
How far of an education do you have? Some college and technical training

What did you specialize in? Arts and Science

Do you still live with your parents/family? not since 18

What type of economic background did you grow up in? middle

Regarding your education - did you do good in school? Mediocre, until SR HS then honor roll all the way. did well in College but lacked funds.

Do you have a job? I am gainfully employed.

How much did you make X amount of years ago and now? Lets just say surviving comfortably.

Are you searching for a job? Always

Do you blame the economy? In some ways, but also my self for being unmotivated.

How do you consider your financial responsibility? I owe no debt.

Are you happy? I have a wonderful, caring wife, so yes.

How long has it taken you to become to the point where you are in life, whether that being an uphill or downhill turn? Between 18 and 29 I had it rough, I am good now at 34 but could always be better.

Who did you vote for in the past election (If you did not vote say so)? I did not vote, because I refuse to vote for someone I believe will not have everyone's best interest in mind. If Ron Paul were on the ticket I would have voted for the first time.

Adding to the descriptive,
I am self taught in a number of things.
Most of my peers look at me as being to intelligent for what I do.

[edit on 16/1/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
ravenshadow -

As you know, student loan debt cannot be gotten rid of. You cant get rid of it in bankruptcy, they will garnish your wages if you default, etc. With a loan size that large, they wouldn't even negotiate it down. Your in for life until you die or its paid off.

As someone with a few graduate degrees you will have difficulty getting into a top ranked program because you are not coming from a research university. Even if you could, researchers don't get paid well - I got one of my graduate degrees from a Top 20 school and the professors were making 90k a year in their 60s and 70s. They probably started out around 50 or 60k, which means over 1/3 to 1/2 of your income would be spent repaying loans.

You can get a college degree from a very good state university for 30k, which you'd spend in 1 year at this place.

I've just seen so many people drowning in debt that I had to comment. Obviously, you need to do whatever makes you happy.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hi guys,

As we know that professional education are increasing day by day. I have just completed BSc-IT from SMU, it is a professional education. Technology field is a vast field and it has good demand in the market.Thanks

NYK
[advert link removed]

[edit on 17-1-2009 by NYK007]

[edit on 17-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore
Although the OP might not mean any harm, offering any personal information whatsoever that ANYONE can read over the internet is NOT RECOMMENDED!

Before I read any other posts, I want to answer you. I fail to see how anything I have asked could seriously put one at harm? Hate to break it to you - the easiest way to find out who/someone is is knowing their name, and I do not have the slightest care for that. The questions I have asked are general and all it does is sort out what type of economic situation the following people are. If someone WANTS to harm you, they will, and this information that I and others have posted would more than likely mean nothing.

For those who do not want to answer the questions or some of the questions because you do not want to give out whatever information, so be it. I have had my paypal hacked before and that was a load of trouble...all turned out good in the end but I just fail to see how this information can cause harm. Like I said - if you do not want to post I am not forcing anyone to do so. Respect to you.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Care to answer the rest of the questions NYK007? If not so be it.

<<   2 >>

join