It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

I hope you're right

Actually I pray you are right.

But just in case, I have invested heavily in Lead and Food Stores

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
And all those on welfare, where the rest of the nation gets about $250 a month in checks, Californication recipients get about $850. Oh boy, they might have to realize what it really means to be poor and jobless in the real world.

Ever been to LA? $850 a month is pretty piss poor. $50k a year and you are lower, lower class.

The problem is that when you cut off the milk they will have no alternative except to riot, steal, and fight to survive. When people have nothing and no means they, like you, will do what it takes to survive.

This is a bad sign. Sure the Federal government will step in, but this will open the gate for all the states to make the same threat.

However, we have nothing to worry about if most of the other states in the USA are flush and making their budgets.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
perspective?

If Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger were to fire every employee in state government tomorrow, it would easily patch California's enormous deficit, right? Not even close.

But surely shutting down all state prisons would do the trick? That, too, would only get him about a quarter of the way there.

Now what if he were to close every prison and cut off funding for health care and other services for the poor? Now we're in the ballpark.

Consider that $40 billion is the amount the state shells out of its general fund each year for the public school system.

Payroll for California's roughly 230,000 civil servants tallies a mere $18 billion — not including legislative aides or people who work for the state's courts or university systems. (Those 149,000 additional folks aren't under the governor's control, but even if Schwarzenegger could fire them, their salaries wouldn't be enough to patch the $40 billion deficit.)

California's shortfall is larger than the entire yearly budget of every other state except New York. It exceeds the gross domestic product of more than 100 countries, including Syria, Costa Rica and Kenya.Closer to home, it's 40 times the size of San Jose's general operating fund, which pays for most of the city's basic services. And it's a devilish 666 times the size of San Jose's projected deficit of more than $60 million in the fiscal year that begins July 1.

How Big is California's Budget Hole?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This in my opinion is what Colin Powell and Joe Biden we're speaking of. What else is there that they could speak of with such confidence that it was going to happen within days of a new President in the USA?

Maybe not planned but definetly forseen.
Ahhhhhh The plot thickens. Now it will be other nations watching the mayhem in the US and react a like a cue to follow.

Happy New Year!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Mongol General: "What is best in life?"
Conan: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
perspective?

If Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger were to fire every employee in state government tomorrow, it would easily patch California's enormous deficit, right? Not even close.

But surely shutting down all state prisons would do the trick? That, too, would only get him about a quarter of the way there.

Now what if he were to close every prison and cut off funding for health care and other services for the poor? Now we're in the ballpark.

Consider that $40 billion is the amount the state shells out of its general fund each year for the public school system.

Payroll for California's roughly 230,000 civil servants tallies a mere $18 billion — not including legislative aides or people who work for the state's courts or university systems. (Those 149,000 additional folks aren't under the governor's control, but even if Schwarzenegger could fire them, their salaries wouldn't be enough to patch the $40 billion deficit.)

California's shortfall is larger than the entire yearly budget of every other state except New York. It exceeds the gross domestic product of more than 100 countries, including Syria, Costa Rica and Kenya.Closer to home, it's 40 times the size of San Jose's general operating fund, which pays for most of the city's basic services. And it's a devilish 666 times the size of San Jose's projected deficit of more than $60 million in the fiscal year that begins July 1.

How Big is California's Budget Hole?

Mongol General: "What is best in life?"
Conan: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Does anyone realize how bad the Terminator is?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Looks like Maryland is following the California game plan, didn't they notice how poorly it's worked in Cali?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The way things are going I do believe that america will break apart, So if i was you i would brass myself for it. I can't wait for Dixie to rise again

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

Psy op facts? as did you know the Population of the USA is 600 million?

That is a Fact. 1 in 4 working does not equal more people working than not.

Excuse me but the Population of the U.S. is not 600 million. It's just over 300 million. And out of that 300 million we have a labor force of approximately 150 million. The other 150 million are children, retirees, elderly, and faithful democrat voters that sponge of the working class.

Remember, facts don't bite. They are your friends...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
If they stop payments to non- citizens, they will be fine.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Man, id be so angry if this happened here..
I'm sure CA residents will be.

Sounds like things are going to get out of control there. They have too. Who would want to go along this!?!
Before you know it, other states will be pushing the same calls on everyone.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
You have your"GENERATED CRISIS", they did tell you after all. Didn't you listen?
It isn't only California, it is the entire USA.
The entire civil and military service of the USA is on high alert.(For us don't delude yourself.)
You basically have till the end of this month, at the current pace.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Let the tax payer try giving the state an IOU when you can not pay, they will take everything. This to me is on grounds with the Boston Tea party.

What scares me , here is what I see in the future. So many people become homeless, that the government sets up housing AKA: worm camps.

We will give you a place to stay and work in exchange for food.
All your debt that must be paid off from that FHA loan you took out and we backed up it up when you foreclosed, well we want you to work off that debt.

Don't like it? Bang.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

www.mercurynews.com...
Looks like its happening.......

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
If this happens in NY I am out on the street in one month!

I am disabled and survive on Social Security Disability, I am unable to work and don't have any idea what I could do. I have very meager amount of food stored, but admittedly have dipped into it to survive. I cannot imagine what is going to happen if they really do cut these payments.

If this happens, we are in more trouble than we have been in for a very long time. I am not going to panic, but this is troubling.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Further proof that extreme Liberalism can destroy anything in its path.

Expect a mass exodus from that bright blue state which will result in the Californication of the entire country.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
OMG indeed.

This is money people overpaid into the system that has already been spent by the CA government. Money spent that was not the government's to spend. This is absolute thievery! This is far from lawful taxation.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Further proof that extreme Liberalism can destroy anything in its path.

Expect a mass exodus from that bright blue state which will result in the Californication of the entire country.

They'll have no idea what's going on. They'll move away having not learned a goddamned thing about the dangers of rampant liberalism because they've been sheltered from reality for so long. Then they'll move in to the still-economically-viable areas and eventually vote in the same kind of liberal idiots that they have "leading" CA right now. Talk about baggage!

The exportation of failed ideology.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by Jinni

WOW, of course screw the taxpayer first, I would like to see The Gov. and other high state officals - say they will work for free, since the taxpayer isn't getting anything.

Think they will? Of course not! I always thought California was one of the wealthiest states in the U.S., how did they get to this point?

UFB - I bet we will be singing that Queen song many times this year, as each of our states takes their fall "Another one bites the dust"!

This of course hurts the people who need it the most. I would expect riots to pop up over there, when people aren't getting food etc. because they aren't getting welfare.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by questioningall]

'What happened' to California is one of the worst fire seasons in a decade, drained the state dry, as well as the other things people so 'astutely' mentioned. As for what that other poster said about Californians making more on welfare than other states, try again, your average mother with one child only makes about 325, not 850. Welfare agencies in cali are cutting parents off, most folks only get for their kids now. I know far too many welfare families that are on the take just so they don't have to go out and get real jobs. Sad but true. So another drain on the state. There are others. This has been coming for months now, way before that December notice. The legislature can't seem to agree which way is north, much less what should go into a balanced budget. These people act like they have never done their jobs before. One side doesn't want to raise taxes, the other side doesn't want to take cuts, so they've been deadlocked for half a year now, ever since June or July. As for folks that don't give a care about the blind or disabled, well, I have noticed that some so-called 'normal' folks are jealous of the 'free money' disabled folks get. Tell you what, you can have my SSI check every month, but you have to take my epilepsy as well, sound like a deal? Let's see you keep your job after your first seizure.

Chrono

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chronogoblin
As for what that other poster said about Californians making more on welfare than other states, try again, your average mother with one child only makes about 325, not 850. Welfare agencies in cali are cutting parents off, most folks only get for their kids now. I know far too many welfare families that are on the take just so they don't have to go out and get real jobs. Sad but true. So another drain on the state. There are others.

Since a single mom with one kid would only receive $188 a month in most states, I stand by the fact that Californicators make a LOT more in welfare than other states. Even if the parent was cut off and only the child (1 person) it would be only $122 a month in most states.

Most welfare recipients have more than 1 child, and the California average welfare payment is about $850 (CALWorks)

This has been coming for months now, way before that December notice. The legislature can't seem to agree which way is north, much less what should go into a balanced budget. These people act like they have never done their jobs before. One side doesn't want to raise taxes, the other side doesn't want to take cuts, so they've been deadlocked for half a year now, ever since June or July.

But remember, you residents of California elected these people, the rest of us didn't.

As for folks that don't give a care about the blind or disabled, well, I have noticed that some so-called 'normal' folks are jealous of the 'free money' disabled folks get. Tell you what, you can have my SSI check every month, but you have to take my epilepsy as well, sound like a deal? Let's see you keep your job after your first seizure.

Well, SSI is a Federal payout, not a state one, so it really doesn't apply here, unless you get an extra check from the state on top of your SSI.

While epilepsy can be quite debilitating, it can *usually* be controlled through medication. I have many employees in my company who have epilepsy and they have even had break through seizures at work. They are still employees.

To fire someone because of an illness is a Federal Offense - Lawsuit city.

My employees who have epilepsy prefer to work rather than get an SSI check, since the SSI is only about $500 a month and work brings in much more than that, as well as gives them very much needed credits for full Social Security later in life.

If you are looking for a place that may hire you, PM me and I'll give you the company name - we have stores in every state.

Edit to add:

'What happened' to California is one of the worst fire seasons in a decade, drained the state dry, as well as the other things people so 'astutely' mentioned.

May I just say Louisiana... Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Ike. Strange how even with Federal Assistance only going (now) to rebuilding the Levies that the Army Corps of Engineers didn't build right the first time, Louisiana is managing to stay within budget. The entire coastline of this state has been completely ravished, many of it's residents have never returned, yet it still has a working economy - despite it's government corruption.

California is home to 11% of the US GDP and can't pay it's bills. Someone need to learn how to balance a checkbook over there.

[edit on 1/17/09 by redhatty]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join