It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well, I'm trying not to panic, but I live in Los Angeles; actually in a "so so" area. I wish I could get out of here. I don't have family anywhere and I'm tied to my job. If this goes down, it's gonna get really, really ugly here. People are going to take what they need. I've seen this happen when the economy hadn't crashed and burned. They're going to take from stores and other people. Yes, welfare and such is another story that goes back for many decades but this is now. People are not going to sit around and wait to see what happens if they don't have the money they've been accustomed to receiving, all of a sudden, to feed their babies, to buy diapers, to pay rent, to buy medicine, to feed themselves, etc etc etc. I don't know how anyone can say not to panic in a situation like this, for people who live here.

I'm a widow with two daughters and have never owned a weapon. I would hope that I would never have to defend my or my family's life over food or other items. But when it comes to "me or them" I guess we have to do what we have to do. Geez, geez, geez.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I'd like to make clear that it isn't END OF THE WORLD.

BUT,

The provision of basic human needs (such as food and water) is under real threat.

That's why i say stock up.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This says it all:

On Monday, State Controller John Chiang sent an urgent letter to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and top legislators warning that the most populous state in the nation is "less than 70 days from running out of cash." Chiang said he "cannot stress enough the crisis we are facing," saying California is literally "weeks away from a meltdown."

Well it certainly is melting as far as I can tell!

Source Dec 08

Hey lets pay the bankers to not tell us where the money is going...

Elf

[edit on 16-1-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Sorry. I'm not asleep so don't need waking thanks
Nor am I unaware that people will likely undergo some serious hardships because of this. But you'll excuse me if I don't panic. This isn't the end of the world... I refuse to act like it is.

But I never said it is the END OF THE WORLD.

However, the evidence is overwhelming that the provision of basic human needs (such as food and water) is under real threat. That's why i say stock up.

link   
reply to post by Jinni

Yup... alarmist... in reference to you specifically... Why?? Because we have to DOOOOO something before it's TOOO LATE!

How do you get out of your fetal position long enough to post?

And yes I know what ignorant means... I asked you what "an ignorant" is... since you felt compelled to call me such.

link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Is very interesting to see and read post from people that still in this day and time with all the signs, news and reports given by the government on the nations state of affairs will tell that is nothing wrong with the nation, I call it denial.

Sad but it happens, California is not the only state that is in trouble other states has been relying on Bank loans to keep the local government working.

Sometimes I just get amused by some of this post.

Thanks for bringing this link.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by marg6043]

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Can we do away with the back and forth nit picking with each other. I am honestly trying to grab information from this thread and have to read through this bickering.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by jhill76]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
reply to post by Jinni

Yup... alarmist... in reference to you specifically... Why?? Because we have to DOOOOO something before it's TOOO LATE!

How do you get out of your fetal position long enough to post?

And yes I know what ignorant means... I asked you what "an ignorant" is... since you felt compelled to call me such.

Yes, I mean't what I said.

WHy "BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE?" - well, when shops run out of stock and they aren't replenished then it's too late.

I don't see why you take so much issue with this. All I'm saying is to prepare -quickly-.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Ten U.S. States Now Facing Bankruptcy

California
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 22%
Gap: $22.2 billion

Arizona
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 19.9%
Gap: $2 billion

Florida
Gap: $5.1 billion

Nevada
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 16%
Gap: $1.2 billion

Rhode Island
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 13.1%
Gap: $430 million

New York
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 9.8%
Gap: $5.5 billion

Alabama
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget):
9.5%
Gap: $784 million

Georgia
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 8.7%
Gap: $1.8 billion

New Jersey
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 7.7%
Gap: $2.5 billion

Maryland
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 7.2%
Gap: $1.1 billion

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Maybe simply because I see all the theatrics and dramatics as distasteful and abhorent. Why comment on my post if you disagree with me?

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Resinveins]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinni

WOW, of course screw the taxpayer first, I would like to see The Gov. and other high state officals - say they will work for free, since the taxpayer isn't getting anything.

Think they will? Of course not! I always thought California was one of the wealthiest states in the U.S., how did they get to this point?

UFB - I bet we will be singing that Queen song many times this year, as each of our states takes their fall "Another one bites the dust"!

This of course hurts the people who need it the most. I would expect riots to pop up over there, when people aren't getting food etc. because they aren't getting welfare.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinni

I don't see why you have such an issue with someone who advocates looking at things in a calmer manner. I guess that makes us even.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Ten U.S. States Now Facing Bankruptcy

California
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 22%
Gap: $22.2 billion

Arizona
Gap: $2 billion

Florida
Gap: $5.1 billion

Nevada
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 16%
Gap: $1.2 billion

Rhode Island
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 13.1%
Gap: $430 million

New York
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 9.8%
Gap: $5.5 billion

Alabama
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget):
9.5%
Gap: $784 million

Georgia
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 8.7%
Gap: $1.8 billion

New Jersey
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 7.7%
Gap: $2.5 billion

Maryland
Budget gap (as a % of the total budget): 7.2%
Gap: $1.1 billion

finance.yahoo.com...

Awesome info there!

That gap has a lot of billions.

You heard that saying "Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for a day, give him the means to catch his own fish and he can feed himself for a lifetime".

Bailouts are the fish.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ok here is the Official SSI information for January in California.

You can also on the link find your county/state if interested Here SSI By state US GOV Stats

I wont post the entire table but these are people who receive SSI aid as sick, poor or of special needs in California, and at least 1 million people will be affected!!!!!!

Total Recipients 1,228,578

AGED 360,374

BLIND 17,992

DISABLED
CHILDREN 147,464

Adults 702,748

So if you fall into one of those categories, like became disabled this month, you will have no help for this month in the interim, and it appears those already on the SSI will be affected!!

AGED BLIND and DISABLED CHILDREN!!!!!
Gov link
These payments are broken down on the link, for example a blind person cannot cook without help in many cases.....

How are they going to Cook?

Disabled Kids need to pay for carers, who is going to pay?

If Arnold pulls a pay cheque this month he should go to Jail.

Elf

edit to add... ok nice one arny

Schwarzenegger, a multimillionaire, has declined his $212,179 a year salary since he was elected

but I bet the rest have not and further this was speaking yesterday:

To conserve cash, Schwarzenegger has ordered state offices shut for two days a month and all workers to take two days of unpaid leave each month. The impasse forced a state panel on Dec. 18 to halt funding for $3.8 billion of construction on schools, roads and other public works, a decision officials said might cost tens of thousands of jobs.

and

Schwarzenegger, a 61-year-old Republican. “The truth is that California is in a state of emergency. Addressing this emergency is the first and greatest thing we must do for the people. The $42 billion deficit is a rock upon our chest and we cannot breathe until we get it off.”

Bloomberg

[edit on 16-1-2009 by MischeviousElf] to add state link for SSI for ease of veiwers

[edit on 16-1-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I tell you who is going to be in big trouble when those welfare checks stop coming, Walmart.

I made a mistake to go into walmart one night for the heck of it at the end of the month, the place was a nightmare with all the welfare recipients looking for bargains.

I can only imagine what will be going down next without the income to keep stores working.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm surprised Michigan isn't on that list..especially with unemployment being the highest in the country at 9.6 percent. It wasn't that long ago that Michigan's legislature shut down because of the problem..the answer to the problem was raised taxes. It didn't help the economy here as you can see..heh.

I'm sure other states are taking and may take the some route.

Also: I apologize to the other posters for straying off topic.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

its called colaratle damage

we are the colatral

We have been #f over since the dawn of MONEY

its a form of controll..

or shall we go back to living in the forest ???

We are witnessing the CORPATE TAKE OVER OF THE WORLD

get use to it...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

You might want to proof read that sentence.

In the interest of ATS harmony though.. I'll let the sky is falling crowd have the stage.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Nope, just like I posted earlier this week. I live in Florida and am now penniless because unemployment has only paid four out of the last 14 weeks and not at all in five. The state office has turned off their phone machines and has an automated voice system cutting off calls because "the wait time is more than an hour." No one seems to be able to get through so they definitely are off. The wait time to recieve welfare and other assistance if you qualify is something like six weeks.
When I was able to reach the agency two weeks ago I was told that there is a backup of tens of thousands of review sheets recipients have to turn in to verify employment applications before they can resume assistance, I can't even get anyone to verify mine still exists. I'm single so I don't qualify for any other aid. Good luck to anyone getting laid off soon, you may never even get paid.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Can't say I didn't see this coming...I've been warning my friends and neighbors that the state was running out of money. I even called the date as that was easy to figure out.

But the Feds don't have much help to offer, despite printing money as fast as they can, the tax base has collapsed since the stripped all the manufacturing jobs out of the country and the finacials blew up in their faces: they are just as broke as everyone else. I guess this blows the "services economy" model.

But as far as what will happen....only thing I know for sure is that the death rate for the elderly and disabled will spike, and the crime rate will spike. Most of these people have been living on the gnarly edge for months now...this loss will drive some greater number than would otherwise die literally to death's door. Those who can't go to school, can't find a job, what are they to do? Go in the corner and quietly starve?

Not bloody likely.

And when you add insult to injury and the state refuses to pay tax refunds to the people they just stiffed on the other payments...it's hard to say how people will react. Probably mass protests by SEIU and other unions, tons of pressure on the Legislature and massive kvetching in the papers by the elderly and disabled. The younger crowd may not be so passive for long. All it take will be a spark, and protest will turn into riot quick enough.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join