It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

If its just the minority that uses drugs and gets wellfare checks ten it wouldn't be a problem would it?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Is there any part of your reasoning that includes the many on welfare due to apathy and the unwillingness to do anything to help themselves? Also with about a quarter of the illegal population in America , or about 3 million, that live in California do they in anyway play into your reasoning too?

So with about 33 million living is California you have out of those 3 million illegals, and a million on welfare. That is a lot of people not paying taxes while sucking the most out of the tax bucket.

Then when you add in the cost of living the picture gets grimmer. With California’s 39,000 Per Capita it looks to be about average, but when it is compared to a state with a lower Per Capita like Alabama’s 30,000 the actual wage needed in California to meet the living standard of 30,000 in Alabama is 48,000 dollars. So this just represents a lot of people who need extra assistance from the Government. Now when most of this is concentrated in the southern parts of California, it continues to burden local Government well past their abilities.

In the end you have a small percent of the total with the greatest tax burden, while also having a large number of people using tax money without paying into it.

No wonder California is broke.....

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
For reasons unknown to me people seem to think that people that do not work, get free everything and do not pay taxes are what keeps the state on its feet. The reaoning behind it baffles me. Getting rid of the welfare system and the illegals would be like getting rid of a bill you have to pay. The illegals skrew up everything and the welfare people just take and take. I say state housing for people on welfare. No checks the are given food and a place to stay while they look for a job. It would be like a jail but you would be able to come and go. For the illegals we should make mexico build a prison by the border that we can just drive over and drop off by the truck load.
I say give out the tax refund checks and tell the people on welfare to get to work and stop having kids.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Exactly!!
The cost of living is so messed up because of these people. The affordable places to live in southern california are packed full of illegals and people on welfare(high crime areas). So if you want a place where you can have a little peace of mind you have to pay out the *** for it.
Low-income housing- for people with low income
The street or state housing- for people with no income.
Don't you think if we got rid of welfare these people would either get jobs or leave? And i would not care where they left to if they want to run from work their entire lives thats okay with me.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
"Why aren't all the music and movie stars doing a benefit or donating to the state that keeps them working? Is it not as good publicity as adopting children from poverty stricken countries? Heaven forbid they take some of their hardly earned money and help their own country's poor."

-RedHatty

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I am not sure if this has been touched on yet as I don't have time to go back through ten pages. But California is not accepting any more tax returns and are asking that people hold them. Just talked to my book keeper have to get my taxes done but cant file them with the state it seems. The Fed taxes are fine and they are issuing the instant checks at places like H&R Block.
On the upside if you did file before the 10th you should be receiving a check, my sis in law got hers today. If not hold em I am going to call in tomorrow and find out what I am supposed to do with the papers.
Off and running before my book keeper gets another grand outta me

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie
I am not sure if this has been touched on yet as I don't have time to go back through ten pages. But California is not accepting any more tax returns and are asking that people hold them. Just talked to my book keeper have to get my taxes done but cant file them with the state it seems. The Fed taxes are fine and they are issuing the instant checks at places like H&R Block.
On the upside if you did file before the 10th you should be receiving a check, my sis in law got hers today. If not hold em I am going to call in tomorrow and find out what I am supposed to do with the papers.
Off and running before my book keeper gets another grand outta me

OK, I know that quoting the post just above your own is frowned upon, but I think it is important to make sure this quote does not get lost in the shuffle; I want people to know, in no uncertain terms what I am talking about.

I work for the California State Franchise Tax Board.

I happen to work in the customer service departmant.

I state this as a form of "Bona Fides"; a sort of "Trust Me", if you will.

The State of California has NOT I repeat, NOT "Stopped accepting tax Returns" from filers!!!!!

I'm sorry XOXO Stacie, but your bookkeeper is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

Furthermore, if the State had decided to stop accepting tax returns, there would be an annoucement on the Franchise Tax Board's internet homepage (HTTP//www.ftb.ca.gov).

What HAS been announced is that State tax REFUNDS have been delayed from issue for 30 days by order of the State Controller's office. This delay is the result of the State's current fiscal emergency.

Again, California, to the best of my knowledge, and I would be amoung the first to know otherwise, [i/i]is STILL accepting state tax RETURNS!

Talk about disinformation!!

Deny ignorance, verify rumors!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

AND I QUOTE: PRINTED IN HUGE ORANGE LETTERS ACROSS MY FORMS

FORMS PENDING STATE APPROVAL
DO NOT FILE

They are accepting e-files that are now SITTING and waiting till the state will once again accept them "into the system". I am not sure why you claim they are as there is no tax preparer in the State that has been given the go ahead. My planner has been in the biz for over 45 years and has NEVER been told that an e-file or mail file would be accepted; but would sit for the next 30 to 60 DAYS till they got things back on track!

YOU MY DEAR ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG or do not work for the people who are refusing to take the tax files into the system. NO TAXES ARE GOING INTO THE SYSTEM! THEY ARE NOT GOING IN! THEREFORE THEY ARE NOT ACCEPTING THEM! plain and simple not hard to understand NOT a PLAY on POLITICAL words!

Not in the system means NOT FILED.

Now once they do start taking them into the system; its going to be by date turned in . This part of the game is going to take them months to straighten out and that IS FROM A REGIONAL MANAGER. Not a desk worker.

And to further refute YOUR disinfo and rumor claims is this enjoy!

(Sorry about the black marks but you aint seeing how much I get!
)

i475.photobucket.com...

[edit on 24-1-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Not to sound racist or anything, but doesnt California love their illegals? How much of a drain are they on financial resources? How much do they use and what do they contribute? Instead of sanctuary cities and free medical (all paid with, with YOUR money). Why not have to show proof of legal residency. Maybe if they packed up and left the state would have money to pay the people that actually are supposed to be there.

Just wondering.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
There seems to be a lot of people on here making wide general assumptions about this situation, almost supporting the collapse of the welfare system?

The fact is, this system is in place for a reason, whether or not you agree with the methods for qualifying for state help, the collapse of the system will affect everyone, not just people scrounging and living off of other peoples tax.

For someone to suggest that it is "ok" for state welfare to collapse because they think the majority are falsely claiming or don't have a right to is naive to the extreme.
These are the kinds of arguments that people should make to change policy on the system, not to support the end of the system.
The collapse of the system will force hundreds of thousands into immediate poverty, disabled, elderly, genuinely unemployed.

The social and economic trouble that this would cause is immense. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Those who cannot survive without state help will have no other choice but to turn to crime. That's after the rioting and looting of course. And who's going to clean up that mess? Yep, the tax payer.

Like it or not, people pay taxes. Like it or not, people claim assistance and the taxes you pay go to support them.
By all means call for reform of the qualifying standards, but no one here should be stupid enough to suggest that the entire system should be allowed to end because they think too many are undeserving.
That's just mind numbingly moronic.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

The forms you refer to were not, I'll wager, printed by the State, but by your tax service.

It is not the State that is refusing your return; it is your preparer service that appears to be holding the transmission of your forms to the State. Big Difference.

I used the State's Cal-File program. I filed my return electronically, on 01/15/2008.

After reading your reply above, I have just finished checking the status of my return.

Current status is "ACCEPTED" and being processed.

Hopefully, my (meager) refund will beat the State Controller's February cut-off date of February 1st and I'll get my actual refund instaead of an IOU. (That was the very reason I E-filed in the first place!)

If you go to the Tax Board's official web-site (ftb.ca.gov) you will see that there is no mention of the State refusing to accept tax returns.

And stop and think about what your preparer is saying for a moment:

The State is in dire need of all the funds it can get, right? A primary source of the State's revenue is received through income taxes.

If the State were to stop accepting income tax returns, it could not collect the taxes associated with those returns.

Why would the State cut off its primary source of revenue just when it needs every dollar it can get?

More likely what is happening is that preparers, like H&R Block, concerned that their RAL's (Refund Anticipation Loans), their so-called "Rapid" or "Instant Refund" re-imbursements might be delayed by the State's 30 day refund delay.

That would represent a serious cash-flow problem for the company. The interest they stand to lose on the money they're paying out would not be covered by the fees they charge for the RAL.

If in fact you were told by your preparer that the State is "not accepting tax returns", I'd like the name, address, and phone number of the preparer (U2U me if you would prefer) so that I can refer this matter to the proper investigation unit.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Bhadhidar]

"FORM PENDING STAE APPROVAL" means that the form itself, the 540 C, which, BTW, is printed by the tax preparing service, not the State, is pending approval from the state for its format, content, and method of calculation.

It does not mean that the taxpayer's return entered on the form has not been accepted as filed.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by spliff4020

Actually, "Illegals" contribute quite a bit to the State's economy. Remember, most of them come here to find work.

If you are working (and your employer isn't paying you "under the table" in cash, a whole separate issue!) you are going to be paying taxes just like any other citizen.

The only economic "drain" on the system illegals pose is their need of state funded medical assistance, because their employers don't provide health insurance. Public education for their children is paid for by the taxes they pay on thier wages, just like everybody else.

As to those illegals who are not paying taxes because they recieve their wages in cash, "off the books"; well, isn't that more a problem of their employers (typically legal citizens owning/running the business) breaking the law, not the the illegal?

Generally speaking, illegal workers are more likely to pay their taxes, willingly, than citizens; the last thing an illegal resident wants is to draw the attention of the State down on him for not paying his taxes.

Being in the country illegally can get you deported.

Evading your taxes, as Al capone discovered, can get you thrown in jail!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

You cant get a RAL for state returns only federal and that FORM is what the STATE sent them to use as of January 20th. They are required by LAW to now tell the filers that the forms will be turned over to the state but will NOT be processed until the holding date has expired.(30-60days) What the heck is so hard to understand about this? They ARE taking the forms but AREN'T PUTTING THEM INTO THE SYSTEM! Yeah they may need the money but if you are due money your forms are WAITING APPROVAL!

Maybe, just perhaps the site hasn't been updated yet?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
The fact is, this system is in place for a reason, whether or not you agree with the methods for qualifying for state help, the collapse of the system will affect everyone, not just people scrounging and living off of other peoples tax.

I don't think you would find anyone here that doesn't think we need a welfare system. What most are debating is what may affect the collapse of the system, or the bankruptcy of a state. This in a state that has high taxes already and we all can see there is something draining the tax bucket faster than we can put money into it.

I’m sure another big part are wages that are needed to offset the cost of living there. As I posted before, a person who makes 30k in Alabama would need to make 48k in California to have the same standard of living.
This is a huge problem that's puts a vast percentage of the working population in California under services paid for by taxes too.

Along with this and many other reason we do have a welfare problem in California, since they run a very high 3% of the population which just happens to be the largest of all the states, so we are talking over 1 million on welfare. That is 1 MILLION…now add in 3 MILLION illegals to the formula and we have a problem.

For someone to suggest that it is "ok" for state welfare to collapse because they think the majority are falsely claiming or don't have a right to is naive to the extreme.
These are the kinds of arguments that people should make to change policy on the system, not to support the end of the system.
The collapse of the system will force hundreds of thousands into immediate poverty, disabled, elderly, genuinely unemployed.

Ok, so were do we get the exta money....

Things need to be fixed, for the guy who actually pays high taxes is not the problem but also feels the pain.

The social and economic trouble that this would cause is immense. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Those who cannot survive without state help will have no other choice but to turn to crime. That's after the rioting and looting of course. And who's going to clean up that mess? Yep, the tax payer.

Great, ok lets double my taxes, ya that is it....

There becomes a point that I will need to turn to crime to pay my taxes, or hey I can go to jail for not paying them...that's a great crime....

When a person is busting their butt to pay 3000 per month in house payments/property taxes, save 15% after taxes for long term saving, Save for college of three childern, while providing the a good life, for someone who makes 150k and is paying 50k in fed/state/soc/med taxes that knocks the gross to 100k, 70k after savings/college, 34k after house/taxes...that leaves about 3000 dollars a month for everything else, so how much of the that do you want more in taxes?

Now do this this same thing with someone who makes 100k and they live about the same as someone who makes 50k.....

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I know people that are bilking the state and on the welfare roles, but I also know others that have lost their jobs, unemployment is gone and have no choice. It would be wrong to punish those truly in need that do the right things with their welfare money like paying rent and utilities and buying the bare necessities. I agree those people that abuse the system need to be forced to do something to contribute.

What I don't get is why more states don't do what is done here. As long as you are able bodied, you work. If you can't find a job they put you to work in the county offices and on county properties doing whatever you are qualified to do. The amount of hours you put in depends on the size of the grant.

We cannot put millions of families on the streets. The vast majority of people on assistance are children. Children need a home, a bed that is theirs and some sort of security. We cannot as a society punish children and deserving people that are down on their luck. To do so would surely destroy our society from the inside out.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Deny ignorance, verify rumors!

I think that is absolutetly GREAT!

I think that should become the common motto of this website!

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Is there any part of your reasoning that includes the many on welfare due to apathy and the unwillingness to do anything to help themselves?

Is there any part in your reasoning that doesn't understand that people unwilling to help themselves simply CANNOT get welfare?

You are making a lot of incorrect assumptions. There are not millions of illegals on welfare, or millions of anybody who can work.

If you have a low income, you can claim for several benefits that can give you basic financial sustenance to live on. To get them, you will need to pass a ‘means test’, so you will have to give details of all your income and savings. If you live with a partner, civil partner or with your husband or wife, their income and savings are taken into account as well when deciding if you can get these benefits.

This is available to people with a low income that don’t have to look for work before they can receive benefit. These people are the:

o caregivers
o lone parents with children under 16 and
o people who are sick or disabled

www.socialsecuritylawattorney.com...

Where does it say illegals on that list? How do illegals get welfare without an ID? ID is required by the DHS, and ID's are checked with the immigration office. The only thing illegals can get is medicaid for their children, IF they are born in the US.

Again your hysteria over welfare is silly. And again what if all those people get jobs? Why did you ignore this point? I think you're just envious of what other people have because for some reason you're dissatisfied with your own life. You haven't even thought of the problems that having no welfare would cause. Maybe you have no compassion and wouldn't even take a second look if the streets were full of homeless mothers with new borns?

In financial crises the poor always get hurt the most. We didn't get our rent rebates last year, something some of us rely on.

And again what about corporate welfare? Or is it only the poor who don't deserve a little help when they need it? Only the poor are responsible for their own problems?

Nine Myths ABout Immegration

The Houston Chronicle January 25, 2008
Illegal immigrants swarm into our country and quickly jump on the welfare rolls. They cost hard-working U.S. citizens billions and billions of dollars in taxes because of this subsidy.
That's a familiar, easy charge leveled by critics of illegal immigration. But is it fact or fiction?
It's actually a myth, according to the Congressional Research Service, the investigative arm of Congress. This point is highlighted as one of the
"top five immigration myths of the campaign season," a list put out by the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Source

The reason I asked if you have ever needed to be on welfare is because I have, due to a disability before I got SSI, and I know for a fact it's not easy to get if you can work.

Learn, and stop the silly hysteria...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I know I've already posted this comment before but I've got to say something again...It is sad how this thread got hijacked. It seems most people on here want to blame the illegals in this country, at least in California, for all the ailments. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS the illegals are not the cause! Our elected officials are the problem. And please don't interpret this as me saying "oh the poor illegals". I think there needs to be some major reform regarding how this country deals with people that essentially break our laws by entering without following the rules. But I thought this thread was about the financial conditions in California. I guess I was mistaken.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Is there any part in your reasoning that doesn't understand that people unwilling to help themselves simply CANNOT get welfare?

You are making a lot of incorrect assumptions. There are not millions of illegals on welfare, or millions of anybody who can work.

I didn't say they were on welfare, but they are a big tax drain while only providing a minimal amount of sales tax back into the system.

So you have a large number of people on welfare...1 million

3 million illegals soaking up services

High cost of living that 30,000 dollars in Alabama is 48,000 dollars in California, so you have a large percentage of workers that need services too due to this higher cost of living...

These were 3 different events I was talking about in my last post.

I'm just explaining why California is so screwed up, and it is not the tax payers fault nor should the tax payer burden more than they already do. I am also not suggesting welfare should be cut, but improved, though it is hard to not see how 1 million people is a very large number. I also think the illegal situation in California is out of control and is huge burden on that state. Finally the cost of living drives the cost of government too while putting people below the poor line where in other states they would not be.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Xtrozero]

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join