It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG! California controller to suspend tax refunds, welfare checks!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What I am finding troubling about all of this is all this" California is getting what they deserve" spew...
Dont you realise that they are just starting with Cali? It is the biggest state in the union with the most people right now. If they can take down Cali and get it under control then they can take YOU down even faster. Dont you realise that this isn't just a California "problem" it is NATIONWIDE! If you think your state isn't in this you need to start doing some intense studying and NOW!

You sit on a message board spewing about how all Californians are getting what they deserve. What about when it's your turn? What then? California may be the state to come up with stupid crap laws; but aren't most of your states the ones that turn around and follow them too? Aren't your states the ones getting in line BEHIND California to default? Before you answer that one you better double check. Dont be fooled YOU are NEXT.

STOP DELUDUNG YOURSELF' ! We are all going to get this, it has been years in the making. They have planned well for this and there isn't anywhere in this country you can hide from it. There isnt anything we can do to stop it now either. It has gone so far down the pike that it is inevitable!
Those of you who think that SSI isn't next are wrong too. The fed owes so much money to so many people that they are going to stick the SSI people out to dry too. If you can't work you are out of the loop plain and simple. Over the past 2 years they have cut more out of the SSI bennifits than any other time in history. They have done this knowing that the people on SSI couldn't pay for any of it either, the checks come from them so they do know how much people can and can't pay for.

Perhaps instead of sitting around gloating over California being the first one to admit we are all screwed. You should be planning on how YOU are going to take are of your own. I mean really people think about it. We are supposed to be the what 7th largest economy??? Yet we are in default??? Where is YOUR state on that list??? STOP with the BLAME GAME and get your head wrapped around what YOU are going to do to protect your own from the coming storm! Stop deluding yourselves and get moving on preparing ways to protect your way of life and your families.

And to the Europeans....YOU have NO room to talk...YOU got taken over yeara ago. Gloating over the "American idiots letting this happen" is the biggest JOKE of the century! At least we dont have cameras on every street corner yet....
and bobbies that tell us when we can breathe.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

that's sad.

My great grampa, grampa, and Pa all knew what form of government we have and willingly served to defend it, as have I.

Guess the dumbing down of America had been happening for longer than I thought.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I found this a few weeks ago, and submit it as proof that where we are now was well known as where we would be a year ago by the powers that be. Pay particular attention to the publication dates.

brooklynian.com...

What will happen when this is general knowledge, do you think?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I reiterate, Many if not all of these programs are Federally funded, it is a red herring to think that it is a local or regional problem!!!!

The Government is OUT OF MONEY and can no longer supply the funding to the State and local levels...

The weaning process has begun!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
They knew this was coming.

In 2005 they were set to introduce the “The California Deficit Prevention Act”. It was amended and introduced as the Federal Deficit Reduction Act of 2005.

it was signed and passed by Bush on Feb 8, 2006.

Prior to 2005:

2000 - article describing California's 38Billion deficit crisis and outlining some reasons why it happened.

By the end of the fiscal year of 1998 the California state budget was $52.9 billion. By the end of the fiscal year of 2003 it was $78.1 billion. increase of 47.6%.

It goes back much farther. They blamed everything from trades, to earthquakes. Immigration to inflation.

What they never did do was actually cut spending. Raised taxes? yes of course, but when your states spending is in excess of it's income it matters for not what and how you raise taxes as they represent only a very small portion of income in the big picture.

California Budget Crisis

Take a look at this:

California State budget history

This ball started rolling way back in the late 1970's and has gained speed exponentially in the 80's.

The lifestyle of the state is not conducive to spending restrictions, it's California after all.

This is a fantastic site to locate your state's spending from current fiscal year and back to 1992 or earlier (depending). There are a TON of great links as well.

I think other states are in just as bad or nearly as bad shape.

Government spending

it's a very scary situation for those in california with no employment income...not much of a consolation for the State to offer a 5% interest on all IOUs. Big deal if people cannot eat or pay for their shelter.

Edited to add: in 1992 the state sent out IOUs and did offer a 5% interest rate on the money owed. It hasn't been confirmed if they will offer this again in the current IOU situation.

[edit on 1/17/2009 by justgeneric]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
for the benefit of those of you who don't follow links, I quote:

As America Collapses US Government Secret Plans Revealed

Posted by indglass on May 21, 2008

A secret meeting of Congress discusses immanent martial law.

March 13, 2008

On March 13th 2008 there was a secret closed door meeting of The United States House Of Representatives in Washington. In the history of The United States this is only the fourth time a secret meeting was held by the house. Even though Representatives are sworn to secrecy by House Rules XVII, some of the members were so shocked, horrified, furious, and concerned about the future of America by what was revealed to them inside the secret meeting, that they have started to leak this secret information to independent news agencies around the world. The mass media said almost nothing about the secret meeting of the House, mentioning only one of the items being discussed. (The new surveillance techniques that are going to be used by the U.S. Government to watch all American citizens). The story was first released in a newspaper out of Brisbane, Australia revealing the contents of the secret U.S. Government meeting and plans for America including all of it’s citizens. Shortly there after, David J. Meyer from Last Trumpet Ministries found it and made it more available for the world to see.

Here is what was revealed:
The imminent collapse of the U.S. Economy to occur sometime in late 2008
The imminent collapse of the U.S. Government finances sometime in mid 2009
The possibility of Civil War inside the United States as a result of the collapse
The advance round-ups of “insurgent U.S. Citizens” likely to move against the government
The detention of those rounded up at The REX 84 Camps constructed throughout the United States
The possibility of public retaliation against members of Congress for the collapses
The location of safe facilities for members of Congress and their families to reside during massive civil unrest
The necessary and unavoidable merger of The U.S. with Canada and Mexico establishing The North American Union
The issuance of a new currency called the AMERO for all three nations as an economic solution.

dprogram.net...

[edit on 17-1-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Maybe it's already been said... Those IOUs for tax returns in Cali will NOT accrue interest or late penalty fees. Either way, I think one more dilemma and Cali will explode.

Let's see...

- Riots over police shootings, escalation to standoffs, misuse of lower justice powers, you can get away with murder if you're famous (just don't rob anyone at gunpoint), etc.

- Increasing fear over earthquakes and other natural disasters looming over our heads.

- And don't forget that whole power fiasco with Enron buying out PG&E and selling our power to Arizona for twice as much as we were paying, thus extorting Gov Davis/Cali to buy our own power BACK from PG&E at 4 times the rate if we wanted to keep it. (And many blame Davis for putting us in that jam when there really wasn't much he could do, other than sending in the Nat'l guard and requisitioning the power stations at gun point, which would have been illegal anyway.) THANK YOU DEREGULATION ! ! !

Well, we've been through worse times and I'm sure we'll get through it. And there will be more to come in the future.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
pb.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/12/3/95.pdf -

Not sure if the link will work it is a PDF document which discusses a period of time in the Soviet Union where Scientists and Doctors were reduced to finding any job they could just to barely survive. It gives from a medical and psychiatric view point the professionals in 1987 and of their state of mental health after being forced into poverty.

EVERYONE is going to be affected by this loss of economic stability.

If the link does not work go to this Google search page and click on the second down entitled : Medical Refuseniks in the Soviet Union and their patients.

History knows no other way then to repeat itself. If we look at how it has been accomplished before we can then see it clearly in the now. And until people wake up and stop being in personal denial it is destined to be repeated. Hard to believe I know but true non the less.

The biggest difference is that of people involved now verses even 10 years ago.

Here is the google page, I urge to read the PDF.

www.google.com... spell=1

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Flux8

Then people need to send in IOU's for the money they owe...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They have been saying this for a few months now, that if CA legislature cant get a budget passed, everyone will get IOU's for state tax refunds, and whatever else the state needs to "pay" because they cant get a state budget passed. I hope that means that legislators will also get paid in IOU's until something is done. BUT, this was expected by the people of CA because our legislators care more about their own agendas and not about what is best for the state.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NightoftheComet

We have one more problem, is not only California we have about 10 more states that are coming clean on how their deficits is affecting them.

Is not only California after all.

See one of the major roles of the federal government was to lure states into becoming Dependant on Federal aid and loans.

Now the Republic and any independence that states used to have is gone.

This avoids states from getting off the union and away from central government.

Greed, big government, corruption and dirty politicians has done all this to our nation.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I can't imagine even wanting to defend myself if this starts happening to every state. What kind of life are people willing to live before they decide it's too horrible?
I can see myself starving to death in the corner, unless of course I'm not killed by rioters or taken away on a FEMA train.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Europe

Yes, the boom was primarily due to the fac that we had a industrial base and became the producers of the products that were then distribute across the sea.

Now our industrial base is gone to countries that you are very familiar with when you look at the manufacture origin.

No longer we have the means to support our economy from within.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Europe

Yes, the boom was primarily due to the fac that we had a industrial base and became the producers of the products that were then distribute across the sea.

Now our industrial base is gone to countries that you are very familiar with when you look at the manufacture origin.

No longer we have the means to support our economy from within.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
When asked by the Mongol General: "What is best in life?"

Arnold (Conan) said: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Honestly, Californians passed on a few good choices for Governor and decided to elect a foreigner who injected steroids, growth hormone, smoked pot, cigarettes and cigars. He had ZERO political and leadership experience to bring to the table and it now SHOWS. You folks chose to be terminated by the TERMINATOR. You needed someone that could balance a check book not someone that at one time was paid for acting in a movie about a robot from the future sent back in time in the form of a DC10 jumbo jet.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
NY is right behind California. Patterson is trying to do what he can, but with the money lost on Wall Street, and NY basically like every other entity out there, broke, it is only a matter of time.

It is time for us to get real, cut what is not necessary, and stop helping other nations, we are in CRISIS here at home!

I must agree with those that say this is the beginning of the end of our way of life. I have said since 01 when I became unable to work, that for the poorest of the poor in this country I am doing pretty well. I have food, shelter, clothes, and electric. I am doing better than the vast majority of the world, yet admittedly I am way below the poverty level.

It is going to be the hardest I think, for those who have no idea how to survive with out all the "extras" they think are necessities. How many people could not survive without their dishwashers, clothes washers, cars, cell phones and yes even our computers???? Arsenio Hall said it best, "the only good thing about being poor, you never forget how to do it". It is soon going to be time for hand washing clothes, pulling carts to the store, and making every PENNY count for everyone.

Of course that is when you have at least something to work with. Thankfully in NY only a small portion of Disability comes from the state and I am certain it is the same most places. By the time they really do cancel Social Security payments we will be so far gone they will have the shanty towns and camps open.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by Jinni

WOW, of course screw the taxpayer first, I would like to see The Gov. and other high state officals - say they will work for free, since the taxpayer isn't getting anything.

Think they will? Of course not! I always thought California was one of the wealthiest states in the U.S., how did they get to this point?

UFB - I bet we will be singing that Queen song many times this year, as each of our states takes their fall "Another one bites the dust"!

This of course hurts the people who need it the most. I would expect riots to pop up over there, when people aren't getting food etc. because they aren't getting welfare.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by questioningall]

They got to this state because of the needles overspending in cali and the hollywood type scene in Cali.

Think about it. People spending dumb amounts of money on the most stupid shey just to be " cool " or " in".

Insted of throwing a party for friends...they invite extra people which cost more money for food that nobody will eat....glamorous gowns and dresses that cost the salary of many americans.
Over priced drinks ( $15-20 per drink in big cities i.e....miami, new york, chi town, many places in Cali.......That same price you can have 5 people have a few drinks but now WE are a hip new place and we have to charge more so the " Elite " will feel special.

Stupid spending like that is how the State of California is where it is.
Everything is overpriced just so the rich people can feel better about themselves because god forbid they ever spend less than $200 to get a haircut or OH NO ....they might have to use the same products as somebody who only makes 20 grand a year........eeewwwww sick thats so " un-cool" and not " in " so they want to spend more just for the image that they are better.

Sorry for the somewhat rant........I could break it down better and type it out more neatly but screw it that's how I felt when typing this.

link   
reply to post by northof8

Yes you are right this mess started with the policies of free trade and the NAFTA during the Clinton era.

The legacy of Clinton and the indifferences of the Bush administration brought the downfall of our economy to the point that is now.

If anybody thinks that Obama has the power to turn this mess around in 4 or 8 years they are dreaming.

He could maybe could start the wheels in motion but Washington is to corrupted and taken over right now to help much.

link   
So what is the best sociopolitical response to this?

If the State plans on issuing IOUs, warrants, etc, and suspending tax refunds, I submit that one possible, fairly easily coordinated plan of action would be for everyone to wait to file taxes until April 15th, then rather than pay your taxes, file for an extension instead.

Is this the wisest plan? I don't know.

Is it wiser than sending your money to be given to bankers in bailouts?

Probably.

Would it send a message the politicos couldn't ignore?

Definitely.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
California is by no means a utopia, but the situation is manageable. If you live in California, this is how you can benefit.

1. Overreport your withholdings--You now have 57 children.

A lot of people under report their withholdings so they can get a tax rebate check. They see the check as an April "bonus." It was always smart to underreport your withholdings, earn interest off the money, then pay the taxes due on April 15. Now it is especially beneficial to overreport you withholdings because you are no longer getting a "bonus" but an IOU.

2. Welfare checks

If people are getting IOU's instead of welfare checks, they are not left completely in the cold. They can sell their IOU's to somebody. Perhaps buying IOU's could be a good investment.

Let us say a particular person has a $500 IOU. You can buy the IOU for $450. If one year later, the state pays back its IOU's, you can earn over 10% interest on the IOU. That is better than any interest bearing bank account right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join