It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Chromodynamics and you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Ok I'd like to state that I love science and technology, I spend a good deal of time reading up on it when I can and my question goes out to any or all who know (or think they know) about QCD.

As stated in Wiki "Quantum chromodynamics (abbreviated as QCD) is a theory of the strong interaction (color force), a fundamental force describing the interactions of the quarks and gluons found in hadrons (particles made of quarks or gluons, such as the proton, neutron or pion). It is the study of the SU(3) Yang–Mills theory of color-charged fermions (the quarks). QCD is a quantum field theory of a special kind called a non-abelian gauge theory. It is an important part of the Standard Model of particle physics."

en.wikipedia.org...

I am by no means a scientist or an educated individual however I'm curious if someone with a tolerence for an amature with aspirations of greatness, could explain in there own words what QCD is and what it achives. I'm at an understanding that David Politzer, Frank Wilczek and David Gross were awarded the 2004 Nobel Prize in Physics for discovering this theory, but why what did it do to make the world a better place?

Thanks for you time and please only serious replys

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Well I can give you an idea, QCD outlines the interaction of Virtual particles falling under the strong nuclear force (the strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, electromagnitism and gravity make up the standard model) under variying circumstances and how their interactions form the baryonic (normal) matter that most of our universe is made of. It's really hard to explain not using mathematics, but I hope that kinda makes sence; it's basically just another peice of the puzzle in modern physics explaining how interactions of the virtual particles came to create matter and how the fundamental forces operate. It's also another peice in forming a Theory of everything, that's why it's important. Hope this helps!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by 29083010384959]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well not completely but that's what I get for jumping into something way over my head
Thanks for your reply I suppose I'm back to the books for now to continue my quest for knowledge. Thanks for your help.

new topics

join