It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned Soviet Nuclear Light houses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Abandoned Soviet Nuclear Light houses

englishrussia.com

So, the Communist Party of the Soviet Union decided to build a chain of lighthouses to guide ships finding their way in the dark polar night across uninhabited shores of the Soviet Russian Empire. So it has been done and a series of such lighthouses has been erected. They had to be fully autonomous, because they were situated hundreds and hundreds miles aways from any populated areas. After reviewing different ideas on how to make them work for a years without service and any external power supply, Soviet engineers decided to implement atomic energy to power up those structures. So, special lightweight small atomic reactors were produced in limited series to be delivered to the Polar Circle lands and to be installed on the lighthouses. Those small reactors could work in the independent mode for years and didn’t require any human interference, so it was very handy in the situation like this. It was a kind of robot-lighthouse which counted itself the time of the year and the length of the daylight, turned on its lights when it was needed and sent radio signals to near by ships to warn them on their journey.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-1-2009 by world_dogma]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is scary but interesting at the same time. This is the second time I've seen where "tourists" have gone to an abandoned nuclear site and snapped pics away. The other one was where people went to an abondoned island in the Pacific that was the site of nuclear testing. The tourist photographed themselves sitting ontop in the concrete dome that capped the waste underneither. Great photos too.

englishrussia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-1-2009 by world_dogma]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
also found this article as well relating to fixing this problem.

www.bellona.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I would love to visit that place.
Would make a great place to go when the TSHTF.
Last place anybody would look.
Are the reactors still present?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Quite interesting.

There is an abandoned nuclear missle site and adjacent bunker a few miles outside of town. Most of it is cordoned off now, but the university owns at least part of the land and used it as an observatory. It was quite strange; they had the telescopes built right on top of the place where the missles used to be sunk into the ground!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
here are a few related articles about some of the nuclear batteries found in different places.. Most are getting found when people take the metal for scrap.

www.nti.org...

www.nti.org...

www.nti.org...

www.nti.org...

www.nti.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What a radioisotope thermoelectric generator looks like...

www.bellona.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I made a thread 4 years ago about these lighthouses and their nuclear components. It's easy for terrorists to steal them to make dirty bombs...

700 Nuclear Batteries Targeted By Terrorists

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Hellmutt,

sorry if I'm repeating a thread. I did a quick search on russian nuclear lighthouses on ATS and didnt find anything..

But it is interesting.. just one more way we as human ensure we pollute for future generations to come.

World_dogma

new topics

top topics

join