It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you point me in the direction of something similar to my style?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Ok, so I don't know what my style is, it's a bit jumbled, overly detailed, and probably attempts to do too much. I'm really big on recursive or hidden images, I often rotate my drawing and completely abandon whatever I was doing on the previous rotation for the current one. The drawings are entirely in lovely mechanical pencil, i think color would be a bit much for me at this point.

I'm worried that I can see a lot more in this than other people can. I do want images hidden, but easily noticeable when pointed out. So if it looks like a jumble even with some legend guidance let me know.

Basically I know nothing about art and have no training so I'm not sure what other artists do this sort of thing. I love Alex Grey but he's not exactly what I'm going for, but artists like him would be good too. Thanks for taking a moment to look at my drawings and helping me out. Have a great one.

I'm posting an untouched upright pic, the same pic with a 'legend' of what I see, and a pic of it rotated to its side.

The pics aren't great but hopefully they give a general idea of what I'm going for...

The legend isn't complete by any means, there is basically a large bust (large trap), a smaller but more complete waist up, and the rib cage was part of another but I haven't gone back in to clean it up. And no, I didn't spell 'shoulder' wrong when I said 'soldier', they just happen to be in the same place

The woman may end up being a mermaid or something, and it appears she may be pregnant. Towards the right is water splashing up against some rocks, or a mountain. Only the first 'splash' is completed, it needs some more off shoots, but hopefully you can see it hitting the rocks and moving around. I was trying to get a reflection going in the lower right corner but it's one of those things where I think I can see it, but I wonder if others can.

Thanks again. Oh and the sketch is incomplete, i'll post another pic of it after I work on it later. I do a LOT of erasing and moving around.

EDIT: If you see something in the drawing that I didn't mention, then let me know. I would love for someone to find something that I didn't see. I often end up getting to this point and realizing I drew a great hand that I didn't even see. So if you saw something unknown to me it would make my day.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Parabol]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
WOW, that's fantastic.

I love the style and you make me jealous. I'm quite creative but only good with technical stuff. I'm self-trained in graphics but really enjoy the works of true talent like yourself.

btw..I can see a nice bent arm with a fist in the first picture you showed..just below the head.

Have you ever tried creating a mask and moving it around your workspace as you rotate and draw? You'd get some interesting results perhaps and a few nice surprises when you "unveilled" it at the end (when you've run out of space).

A bit "giger" in style too...HR Giger site(alien)

Great stuff, keep posting your work here for us to see.

cheers....nerb

[edit on 19/1/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
nerbot

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. I checked out Giger's stuff and he's awesome, such an amazing sense of detail to his work without feeling stuffed up. And plus, he created the Alien character which was incredible.

By mask do you mean another sheet of paper with a shape cut into it? I'm not entirely sure what I should be imagining here.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

Yup, any piece of paper, any shape and size opening.

Enough for you to see some of the area you work in but not big enbough to see the complete work. say..6"x6" ish!

Just work your way around the sheet, turning and moving the page/mask.

Join up with bits you've done that enter the cut-out as you work.

Just play.

Have fun and don't forget to post something else here....cheers..nerb.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

A bit "giger" in style

Yep, exactly what I pictured when I saw it. Escher to a lesser degree, only for detail....

How do you get that dark with a mechanical pencil?

You may want to consider using some other, art pencils, such as a 6B or Ebony for darks, and a variety of H pencils for more detail. Should be available at any craft or art supply store. (and you may want to use a kneaded rubber eraser if you don't already...they pick up the pencil...not tear up your paper)...

new topics

top topics

join