It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

No I believe these things occured but also believe many things are portrayed with a spin. We weren't there and things may have been a little different. You know how when a story is told by the time your kids kid tells it it has their flavor on it. You get my point?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation
Very good and how we should all be. Unfortunately we get comfortable in life and everything becomes just a motionless repetative thought. I don't fit your typical Christian mold and don't follow religion but worship what I believe in my own style. I look like a biker, lived a wild life (drugs, alcohol and jail until late 20's) and then grew up. I used christ as my source but it worked for me. To each their own but we need to all be educated and a little more tolerent

And that's great for you. Not quite my style, but if everyone were the same, we'd all be really bored by now. As for a "mold" I don't really jump to categorize people into them, they do it themselves. I think everyone finds their own way and can find their own spiritual happiness through that.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

Of course I know that. The history books are written by the "winners" there's always a spin, there's no doubt. There's a good chance that things happened differently and that we don't quite have all the facts. But people have been killing in the name of God, whether they're christian or otherwise, for a good long time now...in recent history alone.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It's a stupid phrase to have posted on the side of a bus, and the advertiser probably only did it to get under the skin of those crazy "spiritual" nutjobs.

It worked, but one has to weigh the benefit of standing up for one's own spirituality versus the benefit of pissing a bunch of religious folk off because you disagree with them. Who really wins?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Though true they have also been killing regardless of God. Plenty of sick twisted people who claim morality and beliefs but are nothing more than dilusional, power hungry people who want Godlike power and base it on morality.

Kind of sounds like our moderen day government.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

What's next, an Atheist suing a church,temple or mosque because they preach religion?

Even though we all know it's only directed at Christianity.

For those of you who claim Christians aren't tolerant. Let me see the real balls you atheist have and tell the muslims their God doesn't exist. Since it's an alleged anti God sentiment, why is it always directed at Christ. Why not muhammed?

It's not 'only directed at Christianity' or Christ - you just perceive it to be that way because you are a Christian and are obviously very touchy about it. As for telling Muslims that we believe there is no Allah, plenty of us have. I certainly have, just like I have told Hindus that I don't believe in their Gods, the same way I would tell anyone of any religion the same thing if they ask for my opinion. I'll be honest, and polite, because I respect other peoples' right to believe what they wish. I'm not looking to convert anyone, I don't go about declaring my disbelief with a megaphone the way you see many religious people declaring their faith, and I think you'll find that's the case for most athiests...

That's good and as I stated I condemn no one for their beliefs. We all have our reasons for what we decide but I don;t go around trying to convert people and I don't condem people and ridicule them for their systems...

You condemn no-one for their beliefs? Haven't you been doing to that to athiests in your recent posts?

The only reason most people on here voice their opinions so blatantly is because theirs no fear of physical repercussion. In prison it's what we call a gate ganster. All talk on lockdown but soon as the gates open their cowering and recieving what they brought upon themselves.

So are you saying that if I met you in the street and we got talking, if the topic of religion arose and I voiced my opinion you would cause me physical harm? That's the kind of belligerent attitude we've seen from a lot of Christians throughout history. Not that different to devout Muslims, eh? From what you've said I get the impression that you are someone who has 'done time'...banged up for doing the Lord's work were you (i.e bashing heathens)?*

..."EVERYONE" should be considerate of others and we should all keep our beliefs to ourselves.

No offence, but doesn't that mean you should shut up then?

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Jesus (even as an archetype) is basically one's Conscience anthropomorphized. The situation being thus, the atheist must attack the religion related to this archetype in order to exact revenge upon that which represents their conscience, and who is an archetypal reminder to always to what is right - and that their will always be consequences.

The vast majority of athiests aren't rebelling in any way or wish revenge on Jesus (or any other deity) because we don't give it a moments thought. I think you are being rather vain (isn't that a sin?) if you believe athiests place any importance on something that to us isn't there. We have got better things to do with our time than dwell on what we see as the equivalent of a fable. Nor do we need an archetypal reminder of what is right. Man has known what is right or wrong since long before the idea of Jesus...

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Faced with these truths, many people would rather retreat into the existentialist mindset, where even the most mendacious and abhorrent behaviors can be viewed as inconsequential and therefor be excused.

Another implication that athiests are more prone to deviant behaviour - ludicrous! Where is your evidence? Can you honestly produce a longer list of athiest perverts than I could of religious perverts?

*edit - I see you have been in prison.

[edit on 17/1/09 by sotp]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by whitl103

Have a read back through the thread, the reasons for the advert are explained...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by nerbot

Ever seen a bus advertising a "bar & grill". Do you assume the driver isn't a vegetarian?

Yes, I do. And I would bet money if you were honest, you would admit to doing the same.

Oh please! You're telling me that when you see an advert, any advert, on a bus you'd automatically assume the driver is complicit? So if there was an ad for the Army, you'd think he was a soldier? Or is there was an ad for car insurance from Aviva, he must have his insurance from them too?

I have NEVER looked at an advert on a vehicle and assumed the driver, or any of the other occupants, agree with that view. I am intelligent enough to know it is just an advert, chosen by an agency working for the bus company to reach a target audience.

I am actually quite astonished that you would assume the driver subscribes to the beliefs of an advert on the side of the bus.....

Thankyou for backing me up there. I was astonished as you were when he said that. For a member with such a reputation I expected better.

Ah well.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by stumason

That's good and as I stated I condemn no one for their beliefs.

err.....

You are nothing more than trouble makers trying to cause division and have no actual cause. Just a bunch of atheist punks.

Rrrrright!

Way to go!

Originally posted by sotp
The vast majority of athiests aren't rebelling in any way or wish revenge on Jesus (or any other deity) because we don't give it a moments thought.

Bang-on! It's mainly here in the ATS forums that I am caused to consider these things. 99.9999% of the time it's not an issue and doesn't bear thinking about.

[edit on 17/1/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You are nothing more than trouble makers trying to cause division and have no actual cause.

Excellent job both contradicting yourself and making our point for us...

We have no cause!

Therefore, as we keep telling all you believers, we aren't trying to convert you to our way of thinking! It's just not what we do. You are the ones who have dreamt up this 'athiest crusade'...

[edit on 17/1/09 by sotp]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
i like how its perfectly fine to drive a "praise jesus" bus though.

[edit on 17/1/09 by Ghost147]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I didn't and don't condemn them. that was called sarcasm. trying to anny a certain few who were doing the same.

Errrr,

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm sorry if I missed someone saying this, but you guys do know that he is still driving buses right?

The company he worked for had other buses without the advertising he found offensive. They agreed to let him drive one of those buses if they are available. If one isn't available, he agreed to drive the bus with the "There Probably Isn't A God" advertisement.

Ummm.....I don't see the issue.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

How much you got?

Precious little. I quit my last driving job due to a policy change I could not accept, was employed for 4 months, and am now under-employed. Yet, I still have my integrity and sovereignty.

Does being a commercial delivery driver in Central London and southern England for 4 1/2 years count?

Yes, it does. It also means you are either very inattentive to the world around you, or are lying through your keyboard. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just have no idea what year this is.

--------------------------------------
reply to post by stumason

So if there was an ad for the Army, you'd think he was a soldier? Or is there was an ad for car insurance from Aviva, he must have his insurance from them too?

In the former, I would assume the driver wasn't a pacifist. In the latter, I would assume he/she had no serious problems with the company advertised.

I have NEVER looked at an advert on a vehicle and assumed the driver, or any of the other occupants, agree with that view. I am intelligent enough to know it is just an advert, chosen by an agency working for the bus company to reach a target audience.

Wow, there are so many enlightened people on here. So I can either believe that no one makes rash initial decisions based on appearance, or I can listen to almost a half-century of reality... sorry, I think I'll take reality.

Now go a. and tell me you have never cut a truck off in traffic either.

I am actually quite astonished that you would assume the driver subscribes to the beliefs of an advert on the side of the bus.....

I am actually quite astonished that you are astonished. Years iof dealing with humans have taught me to always believe the worst in human nature and never to expect the best. So far, that seems to be working, at least when concerning actions and not words.

--------------------------
reply to post by GamerGal

Man refuses to work in store that sells condoms because he's catholic. Man refuses to drive NASCAR car that has a military sponsor because he's a pacisfist. Man refuses to work in steak house because he's a vegetarian. Man refuses to work in movie theater because some times gay or lesbian couples go to the movies and he's a homophobe. Sound ridiculous? The same crap this guy is doing.

No, it doesn't sound ridiculous. What sounds ridiculous is a devout Catholic selling condoms, or a convinced pacifist advertising for the military, or a strict vegetarian serving steak dinners.

Maybe if these beliefs are some sort of public 'club' label that means less than a minimum-wage (or close to it) job for them, then it might make sense. I'm sorry you truly believe in nothing and have no absolute moral base.

Some of us do.

If a store sells some thing that is what they sell. What's next a Mormon working at a liquor store suing because they sell alcohol?

Excuse me, but where has anything about lawsuits been mentioned? The guy simply decided that continued performance of that job under those conditions was unacceptable to him.

Now what's wrong with that? Are you actually advocating slavery for that driver? That's exactly what it would be if he were somehow not allowed to refuse a job.

Hint: Slavery is a bad thing.

-----------------------------
reply to post by sotp

"We don't hate athiests...unless they refuse to do or act or think like we want them to."

Now exactly where has it been inferred that this driver hated anyone?

"How dare these athiests show intolerance...they should do as they are told... by us!"

Exactly where is this driver trying to say that his company cannot run these ads? Where is it stated that this driver is telling anyone what they can and cannot do?

I know, I know, you want to turn this into another tired old 'Christians vs. Atheists' thread. Don't you already have enough of those? This thread is about a driver responding to an advertisement accepted by his company that he found offensive. he did nothing illegal or immoral; he simply exercised his right to not be involved in something he found offensive.

Now, if you do not agree that he has that right, then you, like GamerGal above, are recommending slavery. I thought we got rid of that in what? the 1860s in the USA? Apparently there is a push to bring it back. I will condemn any such a drive, whether the participants are Christian, Atheist, Muslim, white, black, green, purple with pink polka dots, homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, tri-sexual, omni-sexual, anti-sexual... I will forever and always deny any suggestion that any human being should be forced to act in direct opposition to their free will! Even if those being coerced into such slavery are called GamerGal or sotp.

--------------------------------

The only reason most people on here voice their opinions so blatantly is because theirs no fear of physical repercussion. In prison it's what we call a gate ganster. All talk on lockdown but soon as the gates open their cowering and recieving what they brought upon themselves.

All I can add is "Amen!"... and a star.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I also strongly believe that Atheist wouldn't also travel in a bus that had biblical writings on the wall and said dinosaurs and humans liver together? He wouldn't also drive or travel in a bus that had orthodox Jews traveling in it. How is it all of the sudden that atheists have the right to paste baseless propaganda about religion with meager scientific facts that can easily be answered. If the atheists have the right to paste anti religious slogan then the bus driver also has a right to protest against it. That is why they have Unions. They're not slaves that they should drive in any conditions.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Salvatore_Rubberface]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

lol.....you do a lot of "assuming" don't you?

Ever driven in London, ever been near a London bus?

Why do you assume drivers are the same everywhere? People can rant as much at vehicles as they do the drivers and don't automatically link the appearance of every vehicle to the driver. That would be plain ignorant wouldn't it?

Bus drivers don't design, create, print and paste adverts on buses. They are not responsible for the appearance of the bus or how much smog is belched out or how dirty it is inside, they are there to drive the bus from a to b to c etc.

Do you assume people never consider these things or do you simply assume everyone is as dumb as you percieve your fellow americans be?

Years iof dealing with humans have taught me to always believe the worst in human nature and never to expect the best.

THAT explains a lot doesn't it?

Now go a. and tell me you have never cut a truck off in traffic either.

"I have never cut a truck off in traffic".

As a commercial driver I respect similar drivers and personally would ALWAYS signal a truck the "OK" to pull in if they had overtaken. It's called professional courtesy.

Why do you find it hard to believe not everyone is a terrible road user?

No, it doesn't sound ridiculous. What sounds ridiculous is a devout Catholic selling condoms, or a convinced pacifist advertising for the military, or a strict vegetarian serving steak dinners.

Are you saying my strict-vegetarian girlfriend making me a bacon sandwich was rediculous too, or is she not strict enough for your definition?

All I can say is, It's a good job you're not a London bus driver. You've obviously had some bad times out there on the road, but your road isn't everybodies road and there are 6.5 billion of us and we're all individuals.

Good luck with your integrity and the job hunting.

Cheers.....nerb

[edit on 17/1/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The hypocrisy in this thread is unbelievable. I see the same members, who create the "Muslims aren't conforming to society by not doing their job for their beliefs" kind of threads, argue for this man's right to do what he did.

So what makes what did man did any different than a Muslim guy choosing not to sell pork because of their belief? Is it because he's Christian that people believe he should be immune to scrutiny? If you guys want to argue about other faiths not conforming, then at least hold an objective view on all faiths and not show any leniency for what this guy did. Inversely, if you think what this guy did was right for standing up for his beliefs, then do so when you see the "Muslims aren't conforming to society by not doing their job for their beliefs" threads.

As for me, this guy did a good thing for adhering to his beliefs and now that he knows how it feels when others push their beliefs on to him, he will not do it to others.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

reply to post by sotp

"We don't hate athiests...unless they refuse to do or act or think like we want them to."

Now exactly where has it been inferred that this driver hated anyone?

"How dare these athiests show intolerance...they should do as they are told... by us!"

Exactly where is this driver trying to say that his company cannot run these ads? Where is it stated that this driver is telling anyone what they can and cannot do?

I was merely trying to show how those statements (which you originally made) could be flipped to a Christian perspective, and that they were kind of pointless in the first place...

I know, I know, you want to turn this into another tired old 'Christians vs. Atheists' thread. Don't you already have enough of those?

I don't want to steer the thread that way at all. Any posts I have made have been in response to statements by others, as is my right. Regarding having "enough of those" threads, to the best of my recollection, I have taken part in only one other thread debating anything like this. I don't post all that often, as you can see by my miniscule amount of ATS points. However, when I see what could be regarded as a downright offensive claim made by another ATS poster I believe I have every right to defend my point of view.

As for the bus driver, I have already said I believe he is perfectly entitled to do what he feels is right for him, whether or not I agree with his point of view. I also said that he should be prepared to face whatever (if any) disciplinary action the bus company decides to take. Although, according to Slate the driver has ended up agreeing to drive a 'No-God Bus' after all (if no other bus is available)! So it's obviously not all that big a deal to him, and if that's the case why make such a fuss and go running to the press?

Now, if you do not agree that he has that right, then you, like GamerGal above, are recommending slavery. I thought we got rid of that in what? the 1860s in the USA? Apparently there is a push to bring it back...

Where did you get that rubbish from? For a company to expect an employee to do the job they pay him for is hardly comparable to slavery. As I've already said, I respected his choice and to claim I would ever advocate slavery is frankly a shocking insult.

All I can add is "Amen!"... and a star.

I suppose it's not at all surprising that someone calling themselves 'TheRedneck' (as if that's something to be proud of) would side with the guy advocating violence against those who have a different view...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I don't get what the fuss is about really.

The banner said 'There's PROBABLY no God' not 'There is no God' its just someones point of view, or what they believe. Just like Christianity.

I suppose I can understand why he would be insulted. I saw that banner on a bus today and I was kind of surprised about how it just stated it like that: ('Now stop worrying and enjoy your life').

But then again, I think he may he over-reacting about it too much. Lots of people do things every day that are against other peoples beliefs or religions, and not much fuss is made about it. Saying that he won't drive the bus is him basically saying he won't do his job.

I'm only 13 but I do think he is going way too over the top about this. People do things every day that others don't like and most of the time you just have to put up with it. There's not much you can do about some things.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join