It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl laughs for 12 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
A Chinese couple are desperately seeking a cure for their daughter who has been laughing non-stop for 12 years.

The mother, Yang Longying, of Chongqing, says it started when her second child, Xu Pinghui, had a fever when she was just eight months old.

"Ever since then, she has been laughing uncontrollably," she told the Chongqing Evening Post.

The couple say the situation worsened when she reached two years old because she lost her ability to speak and could only laugh.

The girl's father, Xu Weiming, a construction worker, has spent virtually all of his wages, plus extra money he has borrowed, for medical treatment but to no avail.

"Seeing her laughing, we feel even sadder than if she were crying," he said.

A neurologist at Chongqing Medical College is now suggesting a brain scan to try and establish the cause of the girl's condition.

www.ananova.com...

Ive never heard of this before, how is that even possible? Is there a way she can be cured?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
GOD DAMN!

Put her on some heavy narcotics.... Tranquilize her for a day....

If that doesn't do it, theres some bolts missing.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Would you please watch your filthy mouth!
Your vulgarism is against ATS rules and makes ATS look BAD!
I’m so sick of the cretins on here who can’t follow a few simple rules to make this community a better place!

This poor girl and her family - GOD BLESS THEM!

I listened to a TED talk the other day.
A doctor who he himself needed electroshock therapy.
It was extremely successful.
I wonder if it could help this girl?
I'll try to find the URL for the TED talk and post it here later.

*P*E*A*C*E*

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

I listened to a TED talk the other day.
A doctor who he himself needed electroshock therapy.
It was extremely successful.
I wonder if it could help this girl?
I'll try to find the URL for the TED talk and post it here later.

*P*E*A*C*E*

TED Talk or not... I cannot believe you just suggested electroshock therapy.

Just because you've recently seen something that contained electroshock therapy doesn't mean it's the super solution to brain problems lol

seriously.. wow... just .. wow.

I am sure something less horrific and barbaric could be utilized to help the poor girl, she must have ROCK solid abs, I can't stand laughing for longer than 30 minutes let alone that long.

It sounds like it could be neurological? chemical / hormonal .. ?

It would be nice if they updated us but we'll probably never get to know.

[edit on 1/16/2009 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Actually, this is not completely impossible. There are many examples of pathological laughing and crying after TBI (traumatic brain injuries). I suspect that the "fever" was high enough to cause some organic brain damage.

Here is a link on pathological laughing:

Pathological Laughing

I do feel for the parents and this unfortunate child.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Would you please watch your filthy mouth!
Your vulgarism is against ATS rules and makes ATS look BAD!
I’m so sick of the cretins on here who can’t follow a few simple rules to make this community a better place!

Gee someone trying to push their religious agenda on someone else. How novel!

Revolution-2012, consider yourself religiously flamed! However, I'd pay no attention to this person. ATS is religiously neutral and this person has no right to do what they just did. I think she/he needs to re-read the T&C page themselves... and say a few Hail Marys for being so overtly hateful.

Perhaps he/she thinks it's cool to marginalize someone else by calling them vulgar and cretin - or that ATS rules don't apply to the deeply self righteous?

Go figure!

IRM

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Put her in a TV room and play the entire Police Academy film collection back to back. I'd give her less than 12 hours before she starts crying.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

WTF.

Silo's (legitimate) grievance was to do with Revo's obnoxious and blase use of the phrase "bolts missing" to refer to the brain damage suffered by the little girl.

Not everything is a religious conspiracy you know...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
GOD DAMN!

Put her on some heavy narcotics.... Tranquilize her for a day....

If that doesn't do it, theres some bolts missing.

Just what i was thinking, i am surprised a country like china, has not opened up her skull, and messed with her brain, and fooked her up. All in the name of science.

Why is this even news worthy.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

I bet to differ. Revolution-2012 said GOD DAMN!... which we all know is considered blasphemy to the religious folk - which silo13 then retorted with "GOD BLESS THEM" just to reinforce her agenda.

It's not my fault you refuse to see it for what it is... oh.. and by the way who said anything about religious conspiracies? No one but you! It appears conspiracies are in your head.

reply to post by silo13

I do feel sorry for the girl and her parents and it may just be that the girl is now mentally impaired from the fever she suffered when young.

However, shock treatment is kind of like prescribing leaches but nothing surprises me on this forum. Hell, why not go all the way and give her a full lobotomy? That's completely draconian!

IRM

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I don't think anyone's even concerned. What really bothers me about this message board is the fact that it has a condescending tone to it. Kinda reminds me of the fabled civilisation of Atlantis.

That story didn't have a happy ending neither.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
i dunno, until i see avideo i don't believe this one. This is from a country even more absorbed in propaganda than us. As for the whole thing about Revolution 2012... He is new apparently, it was wrong to be so harsh. BTW: i have said damn on here before and it was accepted. Put God in front of it and lose points. Neutral indeed.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Rock hards abs! Laugh Out Loud.

But seriously this is very unfortunate for the family. Could she have some form of autism?

BTW, "God Damn" is not a violation of T&C.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I agree with the "these people need our prayers' aspect. Remember, every thought is in itself an action, whether positive or negative, its up to us.

Obviously, this girl has some kind of brain damage (like a record player playing over and over) and maybe, just maybe, our thoughts/deeds/actions/prayers can help... even if its just one little iota.

12 years of nonstop laughter? Tell you the truth, i'd LOVE to meet this girl face to face.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
How would she eat? How would she sleep?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Ahem. Let me reinstate my incorrect language.

Dameth thy lord and savior for allowing such insanity upon a poor young soul, and Dameth thy lord and savior for allowing ethiopians to starve to death, but in the mean time God Bless them so that they can all be happy.

Jesus Mary and Joseph, when are you coming to the land of ATS to save these poor souls from their own self-induced insanity for lack of normal lives, save me to!

Blah, don't we ALL have a few bolts loose? Just saying, do something to try and help.

And I will say damn mixed with whatever pronoun I Bush damned feel like.

Damn is not a profane word, it is a noun and nothing more..

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

what language did he use that you got offened by? was it GOD DAMN? Are you religious by any chance?
On topic, that sounds like a really debilitating disease.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy

Just because you've recently seen something that contained electroshock therapy doesn't mean it's the super solution to brain problems lol

I am sure something less horrific and barbaric could be utilized to help the poor girl, she must have ROCK solid abs, I can't stand laughing for longer than 30 minutes let alone that long.

Actually, all though I dont know if ECT would be appropriate for this case, ECT is not horrible or barbaric anymore. People think of EST and are reminded of the scene in the movie one flew over the coocoos nest where macmurphey(Jack Nicolson's character) is forced electracuted and forced into a seizure while awake.

Now days it is done very different, although it is somewhat rare to be done. They actually put you under now and give you a temporary paralysis drug so you dont kick around. You dont feel anything and the treatment actually does help for things such as depression.

I have known one person who has required EST. She was mor of an aquaintance really but she confirmed that they do put you undernow, they do prevent you from kicking around. She comfirmed that it is not painful or anything. She had it done because she had an issue with extreme depression. She had no success with anti depressent drugs. She said it really helped.

Here is a link to the mayo-clinic website that explains How it is done today

Now with all that said, I dont know that it would help some one who cannot stop laughing but I guess her treatment will be up to the doctors anyways.

I hope there I hear more about it, It seems like an intruiging case. I recall a case where a person had the hiccups for years and years. Very interesting.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy

Actually, all though I dont know if ECT would be appropriate for this case, ECT is not horrible or barbaric anymore. People think of EST and are reminded of the scene in the movie one flew over the coocoos nest where macmurphey(Jack Nicolson's character) is forced electracuted and forced into a seizure while awake.

Now days it is done very different, although it is somewhat rare to be done. They actually put you under now and give you a temporary paralysis drug so you dont kick around. You dont feel anything and the treatment actually does help for things such as depression.

I have known one person who has required EST. She was mor of an aquaintance really but she confirmed that they do put you undernow, they do prevent you from kicking around. She comfirmed that it is not painful or anything. She had it done because she had an issue with extreme depression. She had no success with anti depressent drugs. She said it really helped.

I do not endorse drug use for depression either.. It has to be the dumbest idea ever to electrocute yourself to become more sane, or happy.

Thank god more and more places are outlawing it, it is barbaric regardless of the pretty drugs they give you to counter-act it's horrid appearance.

There are less dangerous ways of dealing with depression, sure I've felt exhilarated after I've been shocked, but I have better ways of making myself better.

I guess each to their own right?

*Yells at furniture and tells the invisible person in the chair that they ruined my childhood*[gestalt therapy]

That'll surely make you more sane.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

This girl and her family are living in hell.

Electroshock is not the bogyman it used to be.

You’re put under general anesthesia and given massive muscle relaxants.

You gain PEACE from this.

And no - it isn’t like a frontal lobotomy (many people confuse the two) and NO you’re not turned into some type of zombie.

You get your *senses* back.

It’s by far NOT barbaric.

How she’s living now though, is.

*P*E*A*C*E*

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join