It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO over city of Edmonton, Alberta on Jan 14 / 2009

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Awesome point, however.....................this disappeared about 10 minutes later and the most important point, it never reappeared the next night.

Plus, I forgot to mention, originally it was making weird moves and if you see the handheld video portion, you will see that this was at another angle that was not in alignment prior to this video, I put the full vid on megaupload, the link is in my fourth response in this thread.

Another thing to mention is that origianlly, this thing was pulsing a red light that was really large, which is what caught all our attention to the balcony patio window.

But, your point is excellent, great intelligence was there to show how it could have been Venus.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
reply to post by PAYBACKCOMESSOON

If you were facing South/South West, it would be Venus...probably not seen very well from far away due to city lights and haze, then when you zoom in it gets clearer.

If you were facing North or East, then it would not be Venus.

Give it up That light is WAY WAY to big to be Venus. Not a bad guess but Venus can't move that fast across the sky. If that was Venus it would mean Venus is about as close to us as our moon. Is that the case? I think not.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by LucidDreamer85]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My post sounded kind of mean and I posted it before I saw the two comparison videos.

Actually a really good job providing some evidence to your argument. Realized I can't make the same but it just doesn't seem right to be Venus.

I've only ever seen venus about the time right as sun is setting and it was a small spec dot. Hard to see and it never moved that fast at all.

Maybe it's diff because of my location on earth compared to his but I'm going to watch the full vid again.

I still think we should keep trying to figure it out and not say it's Venus or a ufo. Lets keep this going.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
By the way, check out the comments under the video, you will see there were others actually trying to chase it that night, and even tried to let the media know, but, we all know the media right lol.

Alot of people messaged me to tell me they as well seen this weird vessel flying around, 100% not Venus, guaranteed not a normal flying craft of any kind the public is aware of.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PAYBACKCOMESSOON

Was the object in the WSW?

As the example shows, Venus would have been visible to you. Did you also see Venus at the same time? In a different direction?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Yes, seen Venus deeper South at the time, which was a fraction of the size of the object in the sky, in fact I believe it may be in the vid as a small spec of light, venus definitely was not the object moving around this night and for the record, there was a second handheld vid portion prior to this video by a few minutes, I am adding some contrast to it and getting ready to put this portion up tonight as well for another observation where you can see the red light hue emanating from the unit.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
IF you have not seen the close up of this object, check it out on this thread
CLOSER UP ON UFO

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
hi, i live in edmonton, and although my perspective is slightly different than yours would be from a highrise downtown, i am currently looking at a big, bright light in the sky in the west / southwest direction. its slightly above the horizon, (just above the roof line from my point of view on the ground in my back yard).

in fact this light has been in the general area every night since i moved here to edmonton.

i originally thought this to be jupiter, since jupiter has been big and bright for months, but as the people here have done the homework for me, i believe this must be venus after all.

i've been watching this body every day, and i can first see it during the day well before the sun sets, and in the daylight, it looks like a tiny white dot in the sky, higher in the sky and more to the south.

i watched both videos you've posted, and although it seems interesting how fast the light moves across the sky, i'm just not seeing enough movement in any other direction to determine that this is not venus, (or another celestial body).

i have to add, that it is still impressive how bright and beautiful it is lately though. i still do a double take if i happen to catch it out of the corner of my eye.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I just caught a look at what you are talking about, but....

I was always told that when you try to capture the moon, it may look massive to the eye but the camera records it as a small circle because of distance, so I would assume that the same would be for planets.

I also know that to capture stars in a picture you need to use unbelievably slow shutter speeds, so.....

I dont know what else to say other than the star I just seen that you refer to doesnt seem to be the same one I seen a few nights ago, and the thing was defintely moving to catch my attention to begin with, like literally moving like a plane does, but, if it was Venus, I guess it danced around for a minute or so lol, cause other people tried to follow it as well.

The light off of Venus tonight was similar for sure, but a little more distant and not as large as what I seen that night, but good observation anyways, sure made me think twice.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
well then i am sad to not have seen what you saw. i go outside about once an hour or 2 to watch the sky for a bit, figures i missed something good!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
PAYBACKCOMESSOON, which was the model of your camera? I know, Sony, but what model?

second line.

[edit on 17/1/09 by depthoffield]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I'm thinking that it could be a plane. I used to live in a building with a similar view and when there's nothing to obstruct your view of the sky, things don't disappear as quickly as they normally would (planes, birds, etc.). If the plane is traveling at a slight angle, this would explain the apparent arc-shaped path in the sky. I want to see a real UFO as much as anyone else but I think this is a case of mistaken identity.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I've been reading all of the posts tonight and have come to some similar conclusions.

Venus was -definitely- and almost frighteningly bright tonight, and she was certainly giving us a dance in full color! Venus has the "ability" to glow red, especially since we have orange street lights for her light to bounce off of.

HOWEVER, I have been tracking an object all night that seems to reappear in the same spot, and then drift off, just like the original post described. It's extremely bright and definitely not a natural light (too white). I assumed that the police chopper was out tonight, but after reading these posts I'm not too sure.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by depthoffield
PAYBACKCOMESSOON, which was the model of your camera? I know, Sony, but what model?

HDR SR7

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PAYBACKCOMESSOON
HDR SR7

Ok, it was a confirmation for me.

Sony HDR SD7:

Imager and Processing
Sensor Size (in.) 1/3

Lens
Optical Zoom 10.00
Digital Zoom 20.00

Focal Distance Minimum (mm) 5.40
Focal Distance Maximum (mm) 54.00
35mm Focal Distance Minimum (mm) 40.00
35mm Focal Distance Maximum (mm) 400.00

Judjing the video, which first is un-zoomed, and then fully zoomed, i estimated before in previous post (with "eye precision") you have above 15x. A second look, and confirmation of characteristics, give better value of 20 x zoom

Now, at 10 x zoom (optical), you have 400mm focal length in terms of 35 mm film, and for 20 x zoom (optical + 2 digital), give 800 mm focal length in terms of 35 mm film.

So, mathematics said that at 20 x zoom, you have
2,5 degree of field of view, (horizontal, longer frame side)
and this is what we see there, when you zoomed to the max.

Now, Earth spin itself one rotation per day, so 360 degree in 24 h, it means 15 degree / hour. Every star/planet wich is fixed in the sky, will move with this speed: 15 degree/hour.

Now, measuring from your youtube video,

starting from 0:38 and until to 3:38, that orb moves about 1 quarter of the frame (again "eye precision"), that means, relativ to field of view in zoom state:

2.5 / 4 = 0,625 degree

This beeing in 3 minutes, in an hour it will be 20 times more:

So in an hour your orb travel 12,5 degree.

Comparing with 15 degree/hour, we are in the error interval.

So , your orb, not only have the appeareance of Venus, like I enumerated in previous post, but it have its speed too!!!

And you make other mistakes, too:

Originally posted by PAYBACKCOMESSOON
Yes, seen Venus deeper South at the time

No, Venus it was almost to the WEST. Try Stellarium again.

I also know that to capture stars in a picture you need to use unbelievably slow shutter speeds, so.....

For bright stars, like the hypnotic bright Venus, you don't need unbelievably slow shutter speeds.

You said about orb moving , attracting your attention, beeing red glow, morphing (in the other CLOSER UP ON OFO) etc. Phage showed you how Venus may be on film like misterious orb, i have my own experiments on bright stars (try this: www.youtube.com... or this: www.youtube.com... )

What we have here is just Venus acting, and your story with some flaws,

I think you are in deep confusion, and i don't want to conclude you mislead us.

[edit on 18/1/09 by depthoffield]

[edit on 18/1/09 by depthoffield]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Ok here is a video I did of Jupiter shot through my Sony handy cam on 21/9/08 at 40x optical on a tripod.I know it is not Venus but the same effect can be seen of the way at that mag the planet moves through the field of vision and you will see that I have to move the camera to center the planet in the 3 min video.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by X-tal_Phusion
I'm thinking that it could be a plane. I used to live in a building with a similar view and when there's nothing to obstruct your view of the sky, things don't disappear as quickly as they normally would (planes, birds, etc.). If the plane is traveling at a slight angle, this would explain the apparent arc-shaped path in the sky. I want to see a real UFO as much as anyone else but I think this is a case of mistaken identity.

I was going to say that or a helicopter with the search lights toward the camera.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I was wondering that as it takes 15 minuets for a star to move off
and in 4 minuets, this seems quick.

Again an unknown bright thing in the sky that people dislike my ideas
of the Tesla craft.

ED: 15deg/60 min x 4min video = 60/60 = 1deg of movement.
What ever it was it moved off.

[edit on 1/21/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Greetings to all who may read this. Sorry for bringing up an old topic, but I couldn't resist.

I am the new guy on this site (just joined tonight). After reading through some of the basic requirements and protocol topics, I decided to use the search feature to look for threads related to any lights seen over Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

So I found this one....

The video that is supposed to be posted in this thread on Youtube has been removed (from the youtube site) so I couldn't watch it.

However, I too have seen lights over Edmonton and I submit that this guys story is probably true. The lights I saw (summer 1995) flew directly over the downtown core (right over our heads), at a level barely higher than the tallest building, making NO sound what-so-ever. These lights were round, large, in a group formation and moved fairly quickly. Again, I say, there was no sound at all. Believe it or not, I actually contacted the guys in the air traffic control tower at the Edmonton International Airport, and they stated that there had been no activity on their radar in the downtown area at that time. So, whatever was flying over our heads, was doing it without being caught on radar. Take that for what you will.

I know of several other people living in Edmonton who have also seen lights at some time. There is definately something going on there.

Anyway, again I'm sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I wanted to get my two cents in and sort of help to explain that there have been lights over that city numerous times.

Cheers,
DG

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
welcome, dgreg!

since you did bring up this thread again, i just wanted to state that since last january, i have seen several things in the edmonton sky that i have not been able to explain (to myself anyway).

between the 2 airports, cold lake, and the now 2 police helicopters that routinely fly circles over neighborhoods for hours at a time, several nights a week, there are lots of lights and craft in the skies here. there is slightly less light polution than i was used to before moving to edmonton, so i've been able to even see plenty of satellites as well.

however, there have no doubt been a small handful of things that i have never been able to easily identify as any of the above mentioned.. a few things i am still trying to convince myself were just small flocks of birds flying steadily and quite quickly in small >< (v) formations of 3 to 6.. it was easy until i saw a definate flock of birds fly over and were easily decipherable, with their staggered, more lazy appearing formation, and their fluttering wings against the wind currents, etc. several weeks ago my husband and i watched some kind of craft fly almost directly over us, with some strobing and some solid red and white lights, that we had to assume was either a helicopter or plane, even though it was relatively low, and made zero noise.

who knows what these things that we sometimes see, but can't explain, are! i'm still looking though, and waiting to see something i'm absoultely certain of!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join