It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Me in my ATS gear at a Masonic Hall

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bushidomason

I was curious. What is a mason and what do they do? I don't know much about them, but am curious. Thanks

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

You are still operating in that false "us versus them" paradigm. Masons can barely pay their own light bills, and we have lives, no time to "rule the world". There won't be a flip, but then again freemasons aren't holding any sort of power, so it really doesn't matter.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Not sure if you just wanted bushido's opinion or not, if so just ignore me

Freemasons are men, over 18 (21 in some jurisdictions) who believe in a supreme being and having been judged by the lodge as having outstanding moral character, that seek to learn about masonic philosophy and the esoteric aspects that come along with it. Consistent with the values of the organization, we also do some charity on the side (although the main function of freemasonry is not philanthropy).

Some people say in response to the above that you could do all that on your own - and you very well could, freemasonry holds no exclusive claim to knowledge on these topics. But some people prefer to do it with other like minded people.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason

You are still operating in that false "us versus them" paradigm.

That is a straw man tactic above. My paradigms are not in question here. The cool guy in the ATS gear sitting in front of one of you "beautiful" lodges is the topic.

freemasons aren't holding any sort of power, so it really doesn't matter.

Yes the organization the denounced the KING OF ENGLAND has no power.
Yeah, Right. That is like saying Ted Turner has no influence over the media.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Screw Ted Turner! lol Sorry for the one-liner

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
That is a straw man tactic above. My paradigms are not in question here. The cool guy in the ATS gear sitting in front of one of you "beautiful" lodges is the topic.

Completely wrong. Your own post was propaganda that presented some sort of "us versus them" which is the normal conspiracy theory paradigm presented to try to demonize something you don't understand. If you don't want to be called out on your faulty reasoning, don't use it.

Also, please learn to use the correct terms if you are going to try to use big words - you would be falsely accusing me of a red herring, not a straw man.

The OP also presents this same false paradigm, so I am quite on topic despite your attempts to spin it otherwise - he acts as if there were something daring about being in front of a lodge as if masons were "the enemy."

Originally posted by TheRandom1
Yes the organization the denounced the KING OF ENGLAND has no power.
Yeah, Right. That is like saying Ted Turner has no influence over the media.

Clearly you haven't bothered to research this at all. Please tell me where freemasonry "denounced the King of England" and what exactly about that makes anyone have power? I can denounce the United States government right now and it doesn't mean anything.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

I really appreciate your input. What is the masonic philosophy if I might ask. Thank you very much for responding?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Happy to be of help. Of course with all philosophy, what defines masonic philosophy is up for debate beyond some very general terms. People choose to look at different things. I for example am particularly interested in the symbolism of certain degrees of the Scottish Rite as it relates to the development of world religions. Other masons couldn't care less about that sort of thing.

Broadly speaking, masonic philosophy involves the examination of the virtues and life lessons taught by the degrees of the lodge. These lessons vary depending on what side order you are talking about, in the blue lodge these can be many things - for example, first degree candidates learn about the importance of dividing their day appropriately, serving whatever their personal God may be, prioritizing the people and organizations in their life (God, family, friends, work, and masonry - in that order), and the basic virtues of the blue lodge (fidelity, charity, etc.).

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason

Masons can barely pay their own light bills, and we have lives, no time to "rule the world".

Really? Not necessarily. My grandfather who recently passed away was a lifetime member who died with almost 400,000 dollars in the bank.

My uncle is also a lifetime member with plenty of money.

But little ole me does have trouble paying my light bills.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

you should join. then you would be filthy rich like ME! Oh wait. Nevermind. If cotton was a penny a yard I coudn't by a pair of underware for a canary.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mason mike

you should join. then you would be filthy rich like ME! Oh wait. Nevermind. If cotton was a penny a yard I coudn't by a pair of underware for a canary.

Hahaha! Well, I think the only female role is that of job's daughters or eastern star. I am not one to join up where I am only welcome in the back seat!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I think he was trying to lighten the mood up. Nice job picking up on that.

We all have our personal goals and aparently his was to exercise his civil rights outside a masonic hall. At least he didn't just say he was going to do it and actually did it. I applaud those kinds of people. If everyone was like this instead of just all talk, things would get done around here. Maybe not right, but done just the same.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

But the money!!!!!!
How can you just walk away from all those benjamins?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

But the money!!!!!!
How can you just walk away from all those benjamins?

Well, see...............

Cause money is only a temporary fix.

The real treasure is inside of one's self, is it not? And it is free, well maybe not free, the penance involves a great price of introspection and admitting that I am not the me that others see! hahaha!

I want some ATS gear now. I wish they had a hoodie that zipped in the front.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

My dear, you may know more about the secrets of masonry then you realize. I hope you find your hoodie.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

My dear, you may know more about the secrets of masonry then you realize. I hope you find your hoodie.

I must say that I treasure my deceased grandfathers Phez and his tiny tiny lapel pin that has a double breasted eagle with an upside down triangle that enclosed the number 32! These two things, plus a giant 3 foot tall amyethst stone are all I have of his memory. That speaks volumes, IMO

Funny, I had a boss recently who wore his big ole masonic ring and I jousted with him a bit about the brotherhood and I heard later from another coworker that my boss remarked that I knew more about freemasonry than he did. And nothing that I spoke about was negative in any form.

When I asked my Uncle about the feminine aspect being left out of the brotherhood he responded with the analogy that if you had a great treasure and wanted to keep it from harm that you would hide it very carefully, would you not? Sometimes I think the brotherhood hides the feminine for reasons to protect her. I would like to think this is the truth.

But I must admit, both my male members of the fraternity did seem to have issues with thier relationships with women, but I think this was instilled from famial disfunction rather than being a freemason!

Thank you Mason Mike for what I percieve as a compliment!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Just so you know, there are several different versions of Masonry, some of them admit women, or just women.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

Just so you know, there are several different versions of Masonry, some of them admit women, or just women.

Actually I wasn't aware of any versions that admit women only, except for the two that I mentioned earlier, the sub groups. Please offer me a direction of research to find such female based groups!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Well, there's Co-Masonry, and Le Driot Humain, both allow Women and have some Lodges strictly female.
The Grand Orient de France allows women to join, though they are not initiated.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I think he was trying to lighten the mood up. Nice job picking up on that.

Why thank you

We all have our personal goals and aparently his was to exercise his civil rights outside a masonic hall.

Apparently so... i wonder what contentment feels like?

At least he didn't just say he was going to do it and actually did it. I applaud those kinds of people.

Yeah... i know right? Sitting outside in PUBLIC?

I wonder how many actually go outside....

If everyone was like this instead of just all talk, things would get done around here. Maybe not right, but done just the same.

Imagine if we all went and sat outside and exercised our freedom to read a book?
life would be so much better for us all

[edit on 18/1/09 by blupblup]

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join