It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question that may sound stupid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm relatively new here as a member, but I've been reading the site for years and i figure someone here may be able to answer my question:

I live in Eastern North Carolina (USA) and for the last 8-9 months the moon is in the sky all day and a t night. My question is if the moon is in the sky over the eastern US all day, what are the people on the night side of the planet seeing? Please be kind..this has puzzled me for most of the last year. Didn't think it was possible for both sides of the planet to see the moon at the same time.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I live in Arkansas USA and I saw the moon a few days ago durring the day.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by clynikk
I'm relatively new here as a member, but I've been reading the site for years and i figure someone here may be able to answer my question:

I live in Eastern North Carolina (USA) and for the last 8-9 months the moon is in the sky all day and a t night. My question is if the moon is in the sky over the eastern US all day, what are the people on the night side of the planet seeing? Please be kind..this has puzzled me for most of the last year. Didn't think it was possible for both sides of the planet to see the moon at the same time.

I live in Southern Cal and the moon is up what seems like close to all the time, day, night, whatever. For years, I mean, since I was a youngster, I'd never thought about your question before though. Well, maybe they just see an empty sky? I mean, what do people in the Northern hemisphere see? Wow, it's probably a really simple answer and I'm going to feel really dumb when someone posts it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
There are phases of the moon. From full moon to new moon. When there is a new moon in your part of the world you will not see any moon in the sky.
This link might help.
wiki.answers.com...
Then type in... why can you not see a new moon?

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Muundoggie]

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Muundoggie]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by clynikk

Download this program, it's great for tracking the moon, planets or even the stars.

Should also answer your question

www.stellarium.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muundoggie
Geez. Did you not learn anything in school? There are phases of the moon. From full moon to new moon. When there is a new moon in your part of the world you will not see any moon in the sky.

That was a really nice way to answer people who are admittanly claiming ignorance on a subject. Thanks for the answer, no thanks for the snippiness.

I'll give you $100 if you could tell me every single thing you ever learned in all of your years in school. Some things people retain, some they don't. It's just the way it is.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Layla

My apologies for my "snippiness" but I just get so tired of people that are unable to think. Or can not do a simple search on the net. The OP did say "please be kind" and I wasn't. Guess I just needed to vent. Sorry!
I get frustrated with people on this forum that can't spell or even use grammer properly. But then I guess they may not have a good understaning of the English language.

I would really like to know what is being taught in school these days as it has been 40 years since I was in school.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
To OP. I don't know what you are seeing, but if you are seeing it all day and all night for 8-9 months, it is not the moon. It can't possibly be the moon. And slightly further north from you, there is no such constantly visable moon to be seen.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
i live in eastern nc also.if you keep watching the sky you'll be amazed by what else is going on up there.the moon may not seem to go anywhere, but some of those "stars" sure will.but keep looking at the moon,because eventually you'll see something you can't identify fly across it.we've come to enjoy our regular nightsky company,they can be awfully entertaining.they're almost like family.they probably know more about us than our kinfolk.
shine a light or two at 'em you'll get a response you never thought you'd get from a"star".it's a great game ,but i'm never quite sure who's winning

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by wehere

What do you think you are seeing?
There are plenty of satellites orbiting the earth that sometimes look like stars. Friends and I sit out in the night and search for these satellite to see how many we can spot. One night we saw 12 in about an hour and a half.
If you can get a telescope it gets real interesting.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
i think i'm seeing things ican't identify:
i have atelescope, i've correctly identified satelites &constellations. however, none of these things interact or seem surprised when i akknowledge them.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muundoggie
reply to post by Layla

I get frustrated with people on this forum that can't spell or even use grammer properly. But then I guess they may not have a good understaning of the English language.

Me too, but do you mean 'grammar'?

You see, that's the problem; it's a kind of keyboard dyslexia, where we type the words in a hurry, and sometimes the wrong spelling comes out. You see it on TV, billboards and in official documents. Eventually I expect it will change our language, where 'to, too and two' will become 'to'.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Sir/madam.....I know what the moon looks like. What I am seeing is the moon..it is visible now and it it 10:46 am here in NC. Trust me the moon never goes away here....can't explain it.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Muundoggie

I'm not really sure what you were taught in school 40 years ago and don't really care, but I think that any person that's not totally blind knows what the moon looks like. As for the grammar....well it's obvious from your spelling that they didn't teach that 40 years ago . Getting back on topic.....for some reason the moon has been constantly visible here...day and night. Hopefully someone else from this area will post and verify what I am saying. Will try to walk outside and take a pic to post .

[edit on 12-1-2008 by clynikk]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by clynikk

Trust me. If it has stayed in the sky for as long as you say, it can't be the moon. The moon isn't in a geosynchronous orbit, and it hasn't been missing from the opposite side of the world for the last 8-9 months. If it looks like the moon, then it's more likely to be a holographically disquised alien mothership than to be the moon. But if you're going to use pictures as evidence, I'd expect a 24 hour video feed to prove that it never leaves the sky.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I live in Australia and I see the moon at day-time... I've also questioned this occurence since I was four (I'm 13 now)

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Here in southern Canada, sometimes I see it during the day, other times no, but it's usually cloudy.

Two nights ago it rose about 4 am in the SE sky.

top topics

join