It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't all anonymous posts posted? It can be done.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I have seen so many anonymous posts not posted of late that I think it time to rethink the anon policy. Why for instance in this day of technology can we not make the anonymous post truly anonymous.

I for one would like to see all of the anon posts, not just the select few that the mods find interesting, or that they think actually add something to the thread.

I think many truly very important anon posts are being left out because possibly it would be too shocking, or perhaps the posts are vile and filled with all kinds of inappropriate discourse.

Still, I think it very disturbing that these posts should be left out of the threads.

Why not allow the anon to0 be truly anonymous by scrambling the ip address of the anon poster, and then instead of posting the anon to the thread, to take the hassle off of the mods, just post them in a single thread called anonymous replies.

The bad ones could be labled as mature content, and one would have to click on the age agreement as seen on other sites to view mature content.

Also, please tell me again why many of my anonymous posts were never posted? Is it because of the fact that my isp address is recognized as a registered member, so that it would truly not be an anonymous post if posted?

I think we could figure out which thread they were talking about, and no more need to have to censor them either.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Just my thoughts, but a thread for anonymous posts would be problematic simply because it would be out of context.

And as for allowing anonymous posts to fall outside the T&C would invite registered members to post anonymously simply to route the T&C. Not only that but anonymous postings can be spam magnets, which is why I assume, at least in part, that they are checked by a mod before actually being posted. Of course being checked first also makes them naturally more subject to the T&C whereas registered posters may slip under the radar simply from the volume of posts.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I don't even understand why they opened up anon posting. If you wana post, just register.. it only takes a min.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Okay, so post them to the original threads then with the mature content agreement if needed. I think the real reason could be the problems the site could have from posting sensitive truly anonymous info, you know, something too hot for the site to handle etc.

At least that is one of the main reasons I think that most anon posts are not posted.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow
I don't even understand why they opened up anon posting. If you wana post, just register.. it only takes a min.

You must li8ve a very sheltered life, which is okay, but some of us have experienced things we really can't mention unless it is truly anonymously.

That would be the main reason to allow all anonymous posts, but again I think it too problematic as far as the PTB wanting to know who posted the particular anon post/s in question.

The subpoenas would fly fast and furious I think.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Yes, but... it's a conspiracy site

(Cue Ominous Music)

That wasn't a facetious response. Paranoia is in the nature of the site and posters. Not all posters, but some obviously. Anonymous posting is one of the best features of ATS, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
But it doesn't even matter at this point right? They don't scramble the IP so unless you are posting from a one time IP you could still register for that one post instead of doing anonymous.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Does anyone know of a site that allows truly anonymous posting. It would be a very interesting read to say the least.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
anyone wanting to post so truly enlightening info, or even controversial for that matter, can forward it to me in any form and i will make sure its up there on the new threads & posts. Even if i disagree with the points..., thats freedom of information and i will be the first one to back it up if there is need.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

But it doesn't even matter at this point right? They don't scramble the IP so unless you are posting from a one time IP you could still register for that one post instead of doing anonymous.

Using a site that is specifically for web anonymity takes care of of the unscrambled IP.

I don't know that most anonymous posts are truly by people too paranoid to register, but they could be. I think that's a lot of the point.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
Does anyone know of a site that allows truly anonymous posting. It would be a very interesting read to say the least.

This is the only way to truely post anonymous www.whats-my-ip.biz...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It would cause too many problems, this of how many ridiculous posts and replies that don’t follow the T&C would be up. It would waste everyone’s time.

Personally I hate the whole anonymous post thing, if people feel they have something important to say, why not take the effort to sign up, why hide?

Because of this, I have put “Anonymous” on my ignore list – it’s great, I don’t see any of their posts at all now.

Mikey

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I beleive that there was such a site in Germany that allowed annon USENET posting. They basically stripped off all of your IP info and reposted from their servers and discared your stuff.

But they were sued by Scientology and were shut down if I recall

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I for one would like to see all of the anon posts, not just the select few that the mods find interesting, or that they think actually add something to the thread.

Its not a matter of what we find interesting but rather a simple formula:

Does the post conform to the Terms and Conditions of the site?
Is the post relevant and related to the topic at hand.

I approve lots of posts in forums you NEVER have seen me post in as a member.

If we allowed instant annon posting it would be a nightmare to keep clear all of the spam and off topic posts. It would also take alot of time away from our regular mod duties which can be formidable even on a slow day
. We try to be as dilligent as possible clearing the posts, but the needs of our members will ALWAYS have priority.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
We've explained this before.

No need to get into it again.

top topics

join