It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is one year too short for marriage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have known my fiance for about nine years now. We were always attracted to each other and were good friends since the day we met. A year ago I started dating her and fell in love. I asked her to marry me six months latter and she said yes. After a year and a half together we will be married, is that too soon? The first year we were together I was in Iraq, 4 weeks together is all we've spent in person, as a couple.

I'm curious as to what other people have to think of this, though it will not change my mind on marrying my love, I want nothing other then to hear oppinions.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by killacaboose

Believe it or not my husband and I dated for a few weeks and got married and have been married now for nearly 24 years. Its hard work and I don't think that changes if you date for a week or for years. Good luck!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Don't worry about it. Your first marriage is just practice for the next 2 or 3 that come along as you grow older. That been my experience; as with most of the people I know.

All my ex wives and I are all good friends along with my current GF. Just one big happy family.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I don't think it's too short. I'm in a relationship that has worked VERY similar to yours. More time as "just a couple" is not going to change our feelings for each other and it probably won't with you or your fiance anyway.

I don't really agree with whaaa, my boyfriend is in NO way practice for anyone else. Even if something happened between us and we were torn apart I know that I could probably never love someone as much as I love him. He's the love of my life and he knows it.

Congratulations for finding someone you love so dearly, it's exceedingly difficult as years go on.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well, you've known each other for 9 years....so any BS is pretty much over and done with, so I'd say you have a pretty good foundation there...

Don't worry about it. Your first marriage is just practice for the next 2 or 3 that come along as you grow older. That been my experience

Not for me...I married my best friend, and she's definitely my soulmate...no practice marriage for me...going on 5 years now...(as of end of this month)...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thank you all very much, this information has been usefull and only reassures me that what I'm doing is right and Whaaa I hope things work out for you.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Hey everyone, don't get me wrong; I hope everyone finds the love of their life and lives a storybook life. It just took practice for ME. It's not
my ex's fault that I was a self obsessed, drunk and philanderer; and that was when I was being nice.

It took awhile for me to learn that relationships are a two way street.

I learned my lesson and have been happy to be abused and and constantly scolded for over 5 years now. just joking....

[edit on 16-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thanks again people continued commentary would be appreciated if anyone else would like to add something please feel free.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Since you've known her for 9 years and still want to be with her, I don't think that's too soon. You've known her for a long time. I would say that if u guys don't live together then u guys should live together first before getting married. For me marriage isn't the hard part, it's living together. That's when you get to really know your partner. Good Luck!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
ahaha for sure living together is your next step to take. If that is compatible which I'm pretty sure will work out since you know each other for that long, then marriage will definitely follow. You know each others strengths and weaknesses, there is nothing that won't surprise you or do you wrong that you can't perceive.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Wow I've not been on here for a long time! Thanks again for everyone who posted. As of June 13th 2009 we married and have lived happily ever after, the end. Haha j/k it's been a journey for sure but one I'm stoked to have taken with her.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I don't think so. My husband and I knew each other for 2 months before we got married. On March 14 of this year we will have been married for 14 years. I was 20 he was 21. It has not always been easy by any means, but anything worth having is worth fighting for.

I would say most people know within months whether they want to get married. Doing it may be a different story . As long as you both know it won't be a fairy tale and you love each other, you will be fine.

Edited to add that my old eyes must have missed the date on the op!

Ok move along.... nothing to see here.

edit on 2/9/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join