It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Have You Stopped Doing Since The Economy Got Really Bad?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

My mom was thinking of putting some money from her 401k into stocks, because she doesn't have any in there and the market is so low right now. Credit unions is probably a really good idea, though.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Hon, my daughter is lucky she is still alive that is because the car she was driving was mine and not hers as she has a very small car, my car only two years old got total so the insurance pay for the reminding balance.

Now that we don't have the bill on the car feels a lot better, still I miss my car but is not a priority right now for me to get one right away, as I don't work and my husband just bought a new one last year.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

That's awesome, that should really help a lot. I know my parents don't want to take money out of theirs until they turn the age where they can get it without huge penalty. But if the home equity loan falls through because my dad got laid off, they're going to have to take out a lot... and they might have to still take some out to help me with college, since I don't know how much I can get in loans, and they don't even have that much in there...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by amari

Yeah... I wish we could make more money =(
Some people just aren't that lucky, even with great educations and stuff.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Haha, part of the reason I'm not driving is that since I got my license, I haven't had a bad crash... and I just... I know odds say I will have one eventually and right now would SO not be the time.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
so wait....the economy has gotten really bad?

I thought that was all just media hype. I've always lived within my means(what a concept), and therefor haven't had to cut back on anything.

I still travel(goin to cancun on the 31st), still eat out every night that I can(thai tonight).

I just looked that global economic collapse right in the eye and said gimme yer best shot, I can take it......

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SANTA CLAWS

Right now we're buying the cheapest that we can, wherever it comes from. I know it won't help in the long run, but in the short run, every dime counts.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I feel sorry for the parents that are having difficulties and still have children that needs to start college, we already did that with our children, when the economy was a lot better and we had plenty to give for their education, if that was to happen now my children would be in a lot of trouble.

We are thinking on refinancing but not for money just for the lower interest rates as ours is high compare with the rates now.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

It's bad here. I mean, prices for my mom's commute to NYC on the train soared, my dad got laid off again (despite him having a PhD) and I don't get any help from college or the government to pay for my education, at least the first year (42k a year).
It's pretty bad. I can't get a job outside of school besides tutoring because I'm competing with adults for even jobs in restaurants or retail. Lots of things got way more expensive.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

wow, what a paranoid reason for not driving....
I'm driving more than ever, and my tabs are a few months expired, and my seat belt is busted to.

I haven't been able to get in a wreck yet despite my wreckless driving, but I do sometimes kick the &^%$# out of my car for fun. The other night I kicked out the parking light, because...why wouldn't I? I just a car anyways?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

wow if it gets any more depressing then I suggest you come see the Dr.
Swing by my bar and drink like a fish, don't forget to tip well or next time yer drink will be so weak that it won't be enough to whisk away your woes.

Yes, cheers to having an economy proof job!
Drink up guys!
Hell I'll even buy you one.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I mean, I spent $32 yesterday on a book full of scholarships. I've applied for as many as I can, but even with excellent test scores, a 3.9 cumulative GPA and 4.3 last term, and being in the top 10%, somehow I didn't qualify for many of them. I'm still waiting to hear on some, but it would take a miracle.
My dad only worked from Feb. to Dec. in 2008, but that's all colleges see, and even though he was laid off now it was a good job, so college and the government can't pay for anything, they can only look at how much he made in 2008.

My boyfriend applied to the same college and he is waiting to hear back. If we both get in, we would try to get a cheap apartment third trimester of our first year, and it would cut back a little bit on college. If he gets a lot of financial aid, we'll both work to fund my education.

It's ridiculous. I can't freaking pay to go to my top choice school, and they can't do anything about it. I need to take out tens of thousands of dollars in loans...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Haha, when I turn 21 I'll be sure to stop by ^_^
And yeah, it's so annoying, because when I first got my license I used to drive everywhere and go on all these little day trips. Now it's not worth it, between the gas and wanting to not get in a crash, and now that my dad's home he doesn't want to get up to drive my mom to the train so she has one car and dad and I share the other, which is a pain but I understand...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Pretty much everything but breathing!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
My wife got layed-off from her job October 31.
I got layed-off from my job on December 31.
So with both of us now layed-off, and collecting unemployment,
you might revise the question to be
"What are you doing since the economy went bad and you no longer have a job?"
Answer NOTHING. NOT A DAMN THING! Staying at home, looking for jobs over the internet as much as possible to avoid burning gas unnecessarily.
And brother, there are not a lot of jobs to be had these days, unless you are in the medical field. Looks like this is gonna be a long year!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by SANTA CLAWS

Right now we're buying the cheapest that we can, wherever it comes from. I know it won't help in the long run, but in the short run, every dime counts.

I do understand, that's what my friends said 20 years ago..... their jobs are long gone now and Americans (& them) still buy the products they made here
NOT ME

But again I do understand

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cbxer55

My dad said when we went back to unemployment this week, he saw more people than ever, and many of them he remembered from the last time he had been laid off.
It is incredibly hard to find a job these days, unless you know someone.

Unemployment checks rock, until they stop coming. And if you don't have a job before then, things get hard.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
What Have You Stopped Doing Since The Economy Got Really Bad?

I don`t exhale as much as i use too , i try and get the most out of each lung-full .

I miss the days when i could breath easy.

link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Hahaha, that's a good way to put it.
I've been sleeping more. That too.

link   
For the most part, I've luckly been okay and I've tried to help my friends anyway they can. Luckily a lot of luck came my way after high school so I've been buying my friends lunch and some pizzas whenever we met up in the past, and they used their money to pay for their debt/tuition for Uni. Aside from that I've been trying to learn Guitar, playing games and generally trying to sleep when I can. Functioning on at least three hours of sleep each night and going to classes from 9 until 5 is no fun..On top of being on the conforming drug--I mean A.D.H.D medication...

meh read it wrong it said STOPPED doing (that's how tired I've become)
I guess I've stopped taking Cruises around town
. Stopped dining out a bit, and generally started driving less altogether.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by PoisonousPoison]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join