It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Have You Stopped Doing Since The Economy Got Really Bad?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

Haha, well weight loss is a plus!
I gained a good 7 lbs myself, because I eat when I get stressed, and the whole "paying full for college even though I shouldn't be and don't have the money for it" thing didn't help that situation.

I've been trying to work out more, I work out every other day in school, but really... then I just go home and eat a pot pie.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Haha, today I was in the school parking lot and I saw an underclassman that I'm friendly with get into a huge freaking SUV. I went over, knocked on the window, and when he rolled it down I said "Now why are you driving that gas-guzzler? Do you know how badly you're hurting the environment?" Turns out the car was his own personal transportation device. It's a brand new, huge van-type thing.

I'm an ecology nerd, you're right about the reduction in consumption. I guess it's a mixed blessing.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Another reason i think i have extra cash is that my food habits aren't really expensive.

I just love noodles,i eat "noddlers" as i call them just about every night and they are really cheap, all i do is cut some sausages into it, add some hot sauce and im set.

it's like $2.50 for a pack of 5

hmmm, feel like some right now...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

then I just go home and eat a pot pie.

Well there you have it..."pot" and "pie"...

great minds think alike...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

My parents didn't get themselves anything this year, either, except mom got a digital camera from my grandparents and mom and I both bought dad a book. I bought my mom a piece of pottery that I found for $22. Mom got me a set of tea, some boots that were on sale super cheap (winter boots for hiking and stuff, not Uggs or anything) and she gave me $100 towards my trip to see my boyfriend.

I miss the movie theater so badly... I don't even rent movies anymore.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gears Of War

Not necessarily healthy, but at least it saves you money. I eat Ramen like a banshee, that stuff is delicious. It's my lunch, pretty much. It's lots cheaper than lunch at school.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Well is somethings that I can not get over yet, that is the internet, the satellite TV (premium package) and Gym fees (we have to keep in shape) but my husbands company pay for half of the expenses.

We lost one of our cars (my daughter crash my car in Atlanta) that is several hundred dollars that we don't have to spend anymore.

Still I am now sharing my daughter's car when I have the need to used it (I don't work as my husband makes more than enough).

Still once we get some miscellaneous bills out of the way we can ride a downturn for the worst in the economy if it comes our way.

BTW at least my husband retirement will still be available, I mean if things get very bad and the economy collapse I wonder if the government will take away military retirements.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Actually I can't say I've stopped doing anything.

But I have just started growing my own produce and looking for local suppliers for everything.

I haven't seen a difference in my life in the UK, yet. But I have lived well within my means for the last five years. I don't have a mortgage, I have a secure job in a growing industry (Security prospers in times of crisis), I have no dependents, low rent, few bills.

I am expecting it to become a lot worse than it is right now, but I am prepared for it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
people are starting to find the benefits of second hand shopping.

I am on a VA pension and i have been finding a lot of bargains at yard sales as people sell off there stuff to make ends meet

And i just got a $53 dollar raise in my pension so i have a little extra to get thing i could not afford new but can now get used at yard sales.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I have not paid my annual car tax and it is now five months late. I am so afraid of getting a ticket, I never drive the car anyway,lol

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Hahaha, I haven't been spending money on that, either. I never did before, but I surely wouldn't now, as my boyfriend has told me that it is quite expensive for something that isn't a necessity.

My boyfriend bought himself a cigar, though, and was very proud because he rarely buys himself things and I guess he enjoyed it.

Yeah, my extra money used to go to buy expensive chocolates and expensive soaps, and certain articles of clothing. Not anymore, not since Holiday shopping, and now I don't intend to buy any for a very long time.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yes, my girlfriend says the same thing to me all the time..

"Eat more vegetables" i'm like NO!

besides i think im still young enough to get away with it for a while

link   
We really haven't changed our lifestyle much.
We live within our means.
I am more likely to abort an "impulse" purchase, decide whether it is something I really want or need.

Because of my age, I have pulled most of my money out of the stock market and put it into more conservative places, like the local credit union.

link   
reply to post by ANNED

Yes it was a raise on the military retirements I was very surprised that my husband retirement was increased by one hundred dollars, last month, usually any raise will be done by February and some where between 30 to but 50 dollars, it was some type of hold up this year.

link   
reply to post by marg6043

I kind of don't think the government would do that, but I don't know.
My car is bashed in on the front bumper on the right side and left side. One was my fault, one was my dad's. Luckily neither of us hit anything other than the side of the garage or a tree, but we don't have the money to fix it. And my car leaked some weird stuff the other week. We took it to a shop, paid the deposit, and they told us nothing was wrong =(

My boyfriend's car stopped working in the fall, and he had a ticket to fix the license plate light thing. So he had to fix it even though the car wasn't going to be driven. Then, last year he accidently his a coworker's car at work and told her, and he still owes her 400 bucks. It was like 2,000 total. He's 18, he's a student, I mean... whatever.

My car is so scratched up, and it's just going to stay that way.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I have a choice to cut back or to make more money. I decided to make more money by finding a nitch in the market place. We have been trained to cut back instead of making more money in bad times. The old saying you must find a need and fill it. I found a need, I am filling it and making money.

By the way I have a Starbucks coffee everyday thanks to making more money.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I wish I could grow my own produce, that would be a great idea.
My parents and I were thinking that my mom and I could make artwork and sell it, but the sad thing is that very few people are still buying stuff like that right now.

Produce, however, is an excellent idea. Too bad the land here, and the climate, don't really lend themselves.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Yard sales are awesome, but it's so cold right now that nobody has them. The spring should be filled with them, though. My family is planning on having one to get some extra cash and get rid of old baby toys and things.

[edit on 1/15/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gears Of War

Hahaha well when I dated my ex he was 17 and had high cholesterol, so I wouldn't be totally sure.
Stay healthy ^_^

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Good to hear more of the "doing same" or "Better"

To those who are suffering, it will get better.

CUTBACKS -- spending on American corporations who moved their operations or outsourced service overseas. STOP BUYING their products.... DO WITHOUT THEM

We are a "Consumer" NOT "Producers" now

I have cut back on most everything to a certain extent.... Except Beer

but I do drink the cheaper schtufffffffff now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join