It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is going to University a waste if the world really does end?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sometimes I think going to University is a waste. To start off, I was the type of guy who never tried much in school, I graduated from high school when I was 19 because I got kicked out once missing a semester. Well Im 20 now, and Ive basically matured more and Im not up to my delinquent ways anymore. So now Im just upgrading my marks at home and finding a job. Im hoping to go to University in 2009 for a 4 year degree. Possibly Political Science and History. Sometimes I think it will be a waste because id graduate in 2013 and the world will end before that....

What do you guys think?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I think that you should go for it! People have been looking for the end of the world for hundreds of years and outside of maybe the 10 commandments, nothing is written in stone!
I say reach for the stars and good luck to you now and in the future!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It really depends in what you are aiming to gain from it?
Other than that, if you have the money, the time, the will, and the ability to do it, then do it. If you are missing any of those 4 things I would suggest rethinking it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bellus55

Every generation believes they are the last generation. Every generation has prophets of doom and yet we are still here.

Use that gray matter in your noggin and stay in school. The quality of the rest of your life depends on that.

The books in a University Library are far more reliable than the ridiculous pile of garbage you can find posted all over the Internet. Those facts will help you to be able to discern fact from fiction in the rest of your life.

You can either serve the people who go to the University or be one of those being served. It is all up to you.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm graduating from college in 2013. I don't think it's a waste because I don't think the world is going to end.
^_^

Edit- And technically I don't have the money for it, but I do have the grades.

[edit on 1/15/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

what you gotta ask yourself is....
even if the world doesn't end...is paying a buncha cash to go a a high priced college just to get a degree so I can slave away for the man really worth it? especially if you know you aren't that great of a student?

I know plenty of people who can't pay off their loans, or ended up with jobs in completely different fields than they studied for.

I'd spend your 20's traveling and meeting hot chicks. Get a degree when you've had a little time to process the world around you.

my 2 cents

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Even if the world were to end in 2012, which i seriously doubt, you should absolutely go to school.

There's no such a thing as knowledge wasted, and learning is always its own reward...

...wow that sounded a little after school special-ish...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm going to have to add "Blaine" as a friend since this is the 2nd thread where he takes the words out of my fingers.

...but I will add....I am 41 and in my last semester of law school and owe $125,000.....so what. I worked in the real world for years since my undergrad back when the Berlin wall came down.

1) if the world was to end....no better way to go then to be living the college life and owing money when you die.
2) if the world doesn't end then you have still not wasted your time or efforts. I can't imagine in the economy of today how any highschool grad has a chance unless they have some skill with cars or other labor intensive area or make it to "hollywood" (American Idol) or some other luck. play the odds my friend. Those that brag that they have made it without school are either a) lying or b) one of the lucky. because.......
3) people, employers, care about that dumb piece of paper. Look at the dolts they parade on Fox and other media that are "experts" they get that label because they have written something or went to some school or whatever. Now unless you plan on becoming the next "Joe the Plumer" than you should go to school and if that means loans up the whaazoo, then so what.
4) anyone that tells you University is a waste of time and money are at best ignorant and at worst just jealous. 4 years of fun living off of loans is worth it.....Its like camp. I was a crap student and went to college for the piece of paper.....almost bit me in the butt since I had no idea that almost 20years later I was going to try to get into law school. I paid off my big school loans over the years and it was no more painful then a damn car payment......guess what....you will always have bills if you are one of the many of us that can't pay cash for their house or plop $32,000 for a car.
...Live my friend and the degree is always something you can use. Maybe when you are my age you might want to go to law school too. You need that piece of paper to do that.
.....So, it is a win/win to go to school in every scenerio.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Some people can't live like that. I myself feel that I don't need things that I can't afford with the money I have. What kind of life would I be living if I was always worried about bills and loans, always slaving to pay back the money that I spent, but never earned? What kind of life is it where money and things and the approval of people who don't even know me take control of my life? I am not going to college, so I guess I must be ignorant. And if I do end up being a plumber or even worse, what does it matter to anyone but me, as long as I am okay with it others' opinions shouldn't matter.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by cancerian42]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
But if nothing happens in 2012 then where will you be?

Stay in school. If University life where you are is anything like it was for me, you will have plenty of fun

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206

what you gotta ask yourself is....
even if the world doesn't end...is paying a buncha cash to go a a high priced college just to get a degree so I can slave away for the man really worth it? especially if you know you aren't that great of a student?

I know plenty of people who can't pay off their loans, or ended up with jobs in completely different fields than they studied for.

I'd spend your 20's traveling and meeting hot chicks. Get a degree when you've had a little time to process the world around you.

my 2 cents

Since when can you not spend your 20's getting a degree, or grad school, traveling and meeting hot chicks? I've been doing all three with no problem. And for every person you know who cant pay their loans, I can match with someone I know who can. that doesn't mean much does it?

To the OP, yes, go to school. Please don't let the hype of 2012 deter you from furthering your education.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The world is not going to end. And in 2013 you will be a 24 year old man with no degree because you decided not to go to college.

Live your life because the world is not ending any time soon. A car accident, cancer, heart disease, or diabetes will kill you before a big catastrophe happens that ends the world.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Really, no one can tell you what is best for you, we only think we know what is best for ourselves, so my only advise to you is whatever you choose to do, don't choose it just because another person tells you to or you think you have no other options, choose based on what you really want. And whatever you choose, have no regrets over that decision.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Humans have always been fascinated with their own death, destruction or destruction of other things (Why I'm not to sure) but 2012 is just another year (To me at least). Will still be in college, still playing games, Probably continuing to play Guitar as well as draw. Worrying over something that is still up in the air will make you miss the wondrous things of life.

I'd say go for the Uni

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well look at your options.

Get some degrees.... Or don't.

Either way you can still make a living, maybe not as good without a degree.

However, clouding yourself in thoughts of end of the world nonsense is just worthless.

Hell, I give it a chance it could but I don't care. I keep moving, and doing what I think is good.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Since when can you not spend your 20's getting a degree, or grad school, traveling and meeting hot chicks? I've been doing all three with no problem. And for every person you know who cant pay their loans, I can match with someone I know who can. that doesn't mean much does it?

yeah you can pull off all three, I never said it was impossible....but for every person that can I can show you one that can't, doesn't mean much does it.

I don't know that yer really making a point here. I met a lot of brits while traveling and they said it's like a right of passage in the UK that after high school you go out and travel the world for as long as possible. getting life experience will make one a better student, that's all I'm sayin. I don't think he should skip college because of 2012, but I don't necessarily think people should go str8 from high school to college to work either. It's good to have some adventures in there somewhere. Ultimately this kid is gonna do what he wants, but I reckon if he's the type of guy who's worried about 2012, and admits to not being the best student either, then it seems logical that he should focus his life on other things, it's not like he doesn't have time.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bellus55
Sometimes I think going to University is a waste. ... What do you guys think?

I think that going to a University if the world DOESN'T end is a waste. There are 5 exceptions to that: 1) If you are going to be a doctor of some kind 2) If you are going to be an accountant, 3) If you are going to be a lawyer, 4) If you are going to be a teacher (only because it is required by law in most places), 4) If you can pay for it with cash.

I would advise young people to find what they like to do, learn how to make money at it, and start a business doing it. If someone had told me that right out of high school, and I had followed that advice instead of going to college, I would be retired by now.

Think of it this way, if it costs you $5,000 a semester, that's $10,000 a year, or $40,000 over 4 years. (Not even remotely considered an expensive school). That's about 40% of the cost of a house in most rural areas in the United States.

"Education" is now a scam in the United States.

Besides, think how much less money they would have if Bill Gates, Michael Dell, or Larry Ellison had actually finished college, instead of droping out.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Im in Canada guys, so going to a University here isn't as much as a hassle as it is in the USA. If Im not mistaken I think the tuition costs are lower, I can get a loan and pay it off when im done. By then it will be 2013-2014 anyway. I think I should go, just gotta get my marks up first.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Definitely, especially if the costs are much lower than the one ones here in the U.S. Again just forget about 2012 as well as end of the world scenarios. Main priority right now should be grades and well financial stuff as well if you do intend to attend a uni.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Stay in school. There are no guarantees for a good paying job when you get out but atleast the confidence of trudging through calculus will stay with you for challenges later in life. Plus a degree almost always puts you 1 click above the next guy in hiring.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join