It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Men Breast Feed a Child?....YES!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Odd as it seems, men can lactate. In their 1896 book, Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine, Dr. George Gould and Dr. Walter Pyle recount several occurrences of men breastfeeding their young. The stories include a sailor who put his son to his breast to quiet him and started producing milk; a South American peasant who sustained his child with his own breast milk during his wife’s illness; and a Chippewa man who put his infant to his breast following the death of his wife and produced enough milk to rear the child.
The phenomenon hasn’t stopped. In 2002, a Sri Lankan man named B. Wijeratne lost his wife and was left to care for their 18-month-old daughter. When the child refused powdered milk, Wijeratne tried something different. “Unable to see her cry, I offered my breast,” Wijeratne told a Sri Lankan newspaper. “That’s when I discovered I could breastfeed.”
Wijeratne isn’t alone. All men can breastfeed, because they possess the two most vital components for lactating—mammary glands and pituitary glands.
blogs.static.mentalfloss.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It seems that very few people know that men can literally breast feed children, so I thought, that while this subject may raise some uncomfortable social questions, it could very well save lives as well.

As is so often spoken of here on ATS, if the proverbial SHTF the knowledge that a man has the ability to breast feed a child could prove to be valuable.

I am sure we can all come up with various scenarios in the SHTF case where it may be necessary for a lone man to care for an infant child, and I would be willing to give it a try if it meant possible saving a life, and that is why I posted this in the survival forum.

But there is other aspects to this knowledge that I find rather interesting, for instance why do men not currently breast feed there children?

Men would you be willing to breast feed, even if it were not necessary, say to just give the mother of your child a break?

Women would you want your child's father to breast feed your baby if it were not necessary?

Does the thought of a man breast feeding a child seem to be beyond strange and almost perverse, and if so why?

If you had a male friend or family member that you knew was breast feeding a child how would you feel about it?

IMHO male breast feeding to save a life OK, male breast feeding when there is other alternatives, strange if not plain old wrong.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
i don't think it's just a case of milking it though, i think it's the result of a hormone imbalance, is it not?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It makes sense that some men can breast feed, since the parts are identical. One gender doesn't have as much estrogen obvieously hence not at much breast developement in men. Hopefully most people know that men can lactate under certain hormonal conditions. Most men, even though they have the parts, wouldn't be able to produce milk to my knowledge.

There is no difference between a male breast and a female one, except maybe more hair for the male
I don't find it gross because I'm no way involved, let them do whatever. Strange and wrong are subjective, if it works, go for it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wellnot to milk the point
but after doing some digging on this it appears that there is many cases of men breast feeding when there was no alternitives.

And this is used by some fathers as a way to bond with there children

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Why ofcourse men can theoretically breastfeed, as they do possess the needed glands. However, for this to occur, there HAS to be some sort of hormonal imbalance, OR adding. Men cannot breastfeed naturally, without any of these imbalances or adding of hormones, as men simply are not ment for it, despite what feminists say

However, transgendered males on hormone-treatment can, with the addition of certain hormones, start to produce HUGE amounts of milk, to the point that it can be a direct problem for them.(Although some of them find it quite nice.
)

But other then that, it doesn't happen in "satisfying" amounts, as there simply is no need for it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Do you think Facebook would allow pictures of men breast feeding?

I wonder in the past if this is discouraged to keep men as the bread winner and the women at home. Divide and conquer though stereotypes.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
No there doesn't.

The act of putting the child to your nipples and them sucking on the nipple and areola (while you look at them) is what CAUSES "the hormone imbalance."

I'd expect that a large number of men would rather leave the baby in the field and walk away and chalk it up to "survival" though.

[edit on 2009/1/15 by Aeons]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
No there doesn't.

The act of putting the child to your nipples and them sucking on the nipple and areola (while you look at them) is what CAUSES "the hormone imbalance."

I'd expect that a large number of men would rather leave the baby in the field and walk away and chalk it up to "survival" though.

I would have to agree with you, there is numerous case histories in which a male was able to produce enough milk (naturally) to actually feed a child.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
Do you think Facebook would allow pictures of men breast feeding?

I wonder in the past if this is discouraged to keep men as the bread winner and the women at home. Divide and conquer though stereotypes.

In that case, I think pics of "SheMales" is more logical; Daddy and Mommy at the same go.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The first time I see some big hairy dude wearing one of those harnesses and breast feeding a baby in a public place I am going to call the police......then become violently ill...then gouge my eyes out with a plastic fork.

In that order.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It is possible for men to breast feed males can produce milk; males have mamary glands just like females those of a female are significantly larger though.

If you get the right conditions it is very possible but the quality of the milk and stuff that's another issue in itself. It has happen before is not that unusual.

Anytime a male finds something like a white dried out substance around the nipples its a good chance that it is milk. Males just after birth have been known to lactate

Males do give off milk but not as much as a female however if you gave any male progesterone he will produce milk like a female.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

The first time I see some big hairy dude wearing one of those harnesses and breast feeding a baby in a public place I am going to call the police......then become violently ill...then gouge my eyes out with a plastic fork.

In that order.

Yea not a very pleasant visual.

And what about the poor kid when he gets older and learns that Dad nursed him

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Show me a guy who can shoot draft beer out of his teets...then you will have a winner on your hands.

Milk...meh...not so much. Maybe that is where that skim milk comes from.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by deepred

Originally posted by BlackOps719

In that order.

Yea not a very pleasant visual.

And what about the poor kid when he gets older and learns that Dad nursed him

Better dead than nursed by Dad?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

No there doesn't.

And no, it doesn't In that case, each and every single Master-dude that were in to S/M would start to produce milk, which they don't.

This is also the case why not all females can produce milk, despite trying to feed the child, because they lack the hormones needed.

The act of solely putting a child to the nipple only stimulates the production of a few drops of liquid, at most. and that is without the hormonetreatment. And even then, it doesn't even occur immediately.^^

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
im gonna go shave my chest just in case

im thinking of all the money im gonna save on milk now

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightchild

No there doesn't.

And no, it doesn't In that case, each and every single Master-dude that were in to S/M would start to produce milk, which they don't.

This is also the case why not all females can produce milk, despite trying to feed the child, because they lack the hormones needed.

The act of solely putting a child to the nipple only stimulates the production of a few drops of liquid, at most. and that is without the hormonetreatment. And even then, it doesn't even occur immediately.^^

No, it doesn't. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. A baby triggers totally different processes in your brain than S/M. Nor is the process the same.

S/M and babies - somehow you think that these would in ANY way be the same in the brain. Oy.

The act of putting a baby up to a WOMAN'S breast only will stimulate a couple of drops - at first. It often takes a couple of weeks to get up any signficant production.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
im gonna go shave my chest just in case

im thinking of all the money im gonna save on milk now

Shaving is a good idea!

I hate hair in my cereal!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightchild

No there doesn't.

No, it doesn't. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. A baby triggers totally different processes in your brain than S/M. Nor is the process the same.

S/M and babies - somehow you think that these would in ANY way be the same in the brain. Oy.

The act of putting a baby up to a WOMAN'S breast only will stimulate a couple of drops - at first. It often takes a couple of weeks to get up any signficant production.

I actually have a quite good idea of what I am talking about, as I have spent decades in the HBTQ-Community and as such, also known a good number of Transgendered people, and therefor; also knows a good deal about hormones and their effects, aswell as the effects from the lack of them.

Sorry, you have to provide some better sources and evidence if you want me to think this statement is anything more then another nonsensestory from a group of wishthinking redstockings.^^

top topics

<<   2 >>

join