It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California to hand out IOU's instead of tax returns??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Sorry I had a bit of a giggle at the expense of the Californians here...you'll all get your rebate cheques but they'll be in Chinese Yen...good wruck.

Seriously though - money that is owed to tax payers must be paid what's really funny is that in effect you're paying yourself when it's all said and done.

The gov has a legal obligation to pay out whatever is owed to those who contribute and thus if they did not could be held liable in court for failing to do so. That might not stop them from fabricating additional taxes come tax time or deferring payment indefinitely.

A deferral could be a possibility and would equate to an IOU I suppose.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This is what happens when people are over taxed. money is squandered and when it comes time to ante up the money is not there. me as a tax payer i'm not in the business of giving no intrest loans. i say for every day they don't hand back the peoples money they should be charged intrest at the top going rate.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
California has a bad habit of overspending. It is a state run by Democrats. The Governator is trying to restrain their spending, but it isn't working.

If government were more waste-conscious, there would be no problem. Also, how about planning ahead for the lean years by saving up some of that money? Look at the example of Joseph in Egypt. Smart man. He saved enough grain to provide for Egypt and surrounding countries for seven years of drought.

I say smaller government. Our schools are a mess. One of the assemblymen of CA mentioned that he voted $4500 annually per student for public education. He was talking on the radio one morning on my way to work. He said that by the time the money got to his child, about 30 miles from Sacramento, it was down to $2500. He said that for every 100 teachers there are 122 administrators. He said that the private schools have 8, and the Catholic Church schools have 1.

I am curious about the spending on Child Protective System, or CPS. In CA, we have thousands of cases brought to court. My son is one of them. However, 61% of the cases have no merit and are dismissed eventually, perhaps after a year or two. In the case of my son, he is handicapped mentally somewhat and is on SSI. His wife is not too smart, probably an IQ of 70. They have many children. His wife took one to the hospital emergency room for treatment of a sore on his bottom. The doctor suspected the boy had been anally raped. CPS was called in. The mother didn't want to implicate herself and was already having issues in her marriage, so she didn't defend the father and said she didn't trust him and was fearful of him. Well, it's been a year now, the family was separated by CPS and not reunited yet. The idea of the rape was dispelled within an day or so, but the case moves on through the courts at great expense to the people of California and of course to the family. Now, multiply that stupidity by thousands of wrongful cases, and it's no wonder there is a budget problem. If they manage their state with that much stupidity, they deserve to be broke.

Then, there is the inability of the democrats and republicans to agree. The republicans want the spending reduced, but the democrats want the programs to increase more, and to spend more. It finally caught up with them, and now they have to reneg, and reduce the spending. I think they're hoping for a bailout by the feds, but the loss of property and income taxes, not to mention the business failings, has made a catastrophe for CA.
Of course, CA over-regulation and over-taxation of businesses is legendary.
They scare businesses away, then wonder why they don't have a tax base.

It doesn't do any good to write to your congressman. They do whatever they like.

Whatever.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Meh...... I owe this year for sure so this wont effect my return anyway.

Send them an IOU.

I'm sure they'll understand.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
The Governator, Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer are all grade A morons.

Well, they achieved their goals.

I'd say they're quite intelligent and successful.

Pity people couldn't see it.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
This is a supremely clever attempt at deflection from the state government of California.

Think about it this way:

What is money? What is that bit of paper that you chase all your life. In reality its a promissory note- aka an IOU.

By claiming that they will issue IOUs instead of money, California is merely attempting to reinforce the belief that the US dollar is somehow "real" money, when in fact it is nothing but hot air printed on paper.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I've got to second this, FredT. I arrange my deductions, etc. to make sure I come out even, or a little on the owing side. The spouse starting doing the same thing after we got married. Sure, it's fun getting a nice check at the end of the year, but it was my money to begin with! I'd rather have it all year long

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
post by David9176

WHY DON'T Arnold Schwarzenegger MAKE A FEW MORE MOVIES TO PAY FOR THE REFUNDS.OR SOME OF HOLLYWOODS BIG STARS. THEY'RE ALWAY ON TV ASKING ME TO SEND MONEY FOR THEIR CAUSE..

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Greetings from the broke sunshine state!
California is warm, peaceful, and full of natural wonders. We will not freeze, or starve. The people here are great to each other. I have no worries that we will survive this as we do everything else that is thrown our way. We just cant shop til we drop anymore and need to help each other through this hard time.
I have realized how meaningless money is and how powerful love is.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Not sure if people understand the entire picture of this, because this is no laughing matter at all.

People joke and say we'll send them an IOU for taxes, but that is what will start to happen, this will not be synonymous to California other states will follow.

It looks like the financial chaos is about to really start to roll here.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
You know I haven't heard anyone say anything about California providing education, healthcare, welfare, and other services to its illegal population. California would probably still be in fisical trouble with out a single one there, but providing the level of services that Cali does to such freeloaders can't be helping its balance sheet. I personally hope they do default. I've been reading up on some of the public employee retirement benefits and I hate to say it but some of the retirement bennies there need to be slashed dramatically.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
For what it's worth, they are within the law to not start sending out tax refunds until May 30th.

So expect real troubles come June 1st, if they do not do this.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Well look on the bright side....all of the liberals out in California have been begging and begging for change....well they are about to get a whole helping of it.

Probably not the change they were hoping for, but change it shall be.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

What I can not understand is how the state can take away the peoples taxes, put in some where accounts then make money on interest and then deny their tax returns to the people that is owed too.

What a scam this states and our own government runs at the backs of the tax payer in America.

Hell if two million people were able to show up in Washington for the inauguration in frigid weather so people can get together and complain in masses about this scam call taxes.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Those who have gotten their fed tax returns back ---- how long did it take if you e-filed? Thanks!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I was just issued a IOU from California!! They owe me 1500.00 dollars and I had to sign a waiver explaining the IOU and it had no date of when I would recieve my payment!! But if I had to owe them money I would have to pay right away or I would be held with steep penalties and fines!! Go figure that one...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It is amazing how California can have the highest taxes, highest fees, license requirements for just about everything (more fees) and still be in such a mess.

As a California citizen, I must apologize in advance, on behalf of my fellow California citizens, should Obama decide to bail out the state.

We, the people of California, have a most schizophrenic and irresponsible culture and lifestyle and our political leaders are a perfect reflection of this.

We, the people of California, get what we deserve. We deserve high taxes, we deserve a corrupt government, we deserve IOU's. We voted for our government, we voted for our bond measures. We are a culture of "keeping up with the Jones's". We are a culture where we feel we are entitled o everything whether or not we can afford it.

One can scream at the government all we want, but as long as the people of California feel that they should live like those on MTV, nothing is going to change.

Well if the government collapses then it will change and I really hope that happens.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
This is a supremely clever attempt at deflection from the state government of California.

Think about it this way:

What is money? What is that bit of paper that you chase all your life. In reality its a promissory note- aka an IOU.

By claiming that they will issue IOUs instead of money, California is merely attempting to reinforce the belief that the US dollar is somehow "real" money, when in fact it is nothing but hot air printed on paper.
Dude that is utter nonense,the fact of the matter is you cannot buy a thing without money.IOU is crazy for FEDS to have when they have no clue what the future holds or you have no clue if you will ever get your tax money back.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

Think about it this way:

Dude that is utter nonense,the fact of the matter is you cannot buy a thing without money.IOU is crazy for FEDS to have when they have no clue what the future holds or you have no clue if you will ever get your tax money back.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Wow this thread is over a year old and none of these things even happened lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join