It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Terms for Barack Obama?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Seems like he proposes it once every two years or so. Want me to keep going?

I suppose you took my remarks as sarcasm rather than genuine curiosity. I asked for people to look this stuff up for me, because I am: lazyninja

Now, while I am all for term limits, there is an argument to be made to repeal it. If the people like a President, why not allow them to decide to limit his terms in the ballot box? Wouldn't that be more of a democratic way to determine it? This is was Reagan's argument.

In an ideal world, keeping a president you like around for a bit longer might be a good thing. But when you get people like Bush and his brother, and all their good buddies raping up the electoral system, to get him elected not just once but twice, the idea becomes pretty scary.

In other words, the American electoral system is outwardly visibly democratic, but I doubt it's truly much different to how things roll over in Zimbabwe, they're just slightly more subtle about covering up corruption in America. Plus most Americans dont give two hoots about it anyhow, since the majority are watching the zombiebox.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

Well after devious thought there is a slight technicality for good old W...He has only been properly elected once. He ended up being appointed on his first term, rather than the count/re-count cycle and the question of votes in other states being kicked out to be manually counted came up.

So if W. was insanely popular and could be re-elected he could indeed run again but would have to step down after being sworn in and pass the office to whomever was the VP as he had already served 8 years in office.

So he *might* be eligible for re-election, just not be able to hold the office. Bill Clinton, however, is just SOL.

I do remember the hoopla in the Regan Administration about this proposal. Regan supported the change and even made commercials in support of it but stated that he would be ineligible for a third (or more) term due to being elected under the two term limit. So unless the wording has changed since then, Obama should be under the same restrictions.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join