It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Ever A Reason To Hit A Woman? Yes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of the opening scene in the Boondock Saints.

However, I believe that this discussion is going to end up like all the other religious, or political discussions. Pointless. There are already two sides drawn up, people are choosing their sides, and the name calling has already begun. Argue all you want, in the end you will still do what you were raised to do, or what YOU believe is right. No amount of someone elses point of view is going to change yours. Done.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

You will not find support among the enlightened. Go away, hitter.

Just to clarify, if a woman comes at a man with a knife then they should let that woman stab them, otherwise they're a hitter right?

Nonsense.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
...actually Dirk, I too started to read this thread expecting the same old stuff but actually it was informative.
First.....we weren't in the car with the OP, things happen fast, he did what he did to maintain control of the car...our monday morning QBing and 20/20 hindsite is disingenious to say the least.
2nd...to the poster about the law and cops...unless you have been a cop or got better than a C in family law....you don't know what you are saying.
do you know who cops watch out for when they respond to a domestic call? The woman...she is the one that will more than likely blindside the cop as he is distracted with the husband or male....Lawyers represent the client and will side with them....of course if you end up in a southern state with the wrong judge and I'm sure your attorney will advise you to plea.
.....hitting anyone is situational....it is never the first best option...but sometimes you have to.
....the person that said he would hit a woman if they beat his little girl....damn straight! Nobody lays a hand on one of my kids.
....hitting someone DOES NOT make you a HITTER! if you do it frequently than you just maybe an abusive ass. or every other negative term we can give a person. If a woman is kicking my wife's ass, I am going to use the amount of force required to protect her.
...If some of you are of the belief that it would never be necessary to hit a woman...well, hopefully you remember that if, or when, the situation arises.
Hitting is wrong...it is violence....verbal violence is wrong...it is hate and is hurtful....where do you draw the line? Can you spank a child? Driving drunk and killing a woman is worse than punching her in the face but of course we don't look at it that way.
TAZ her?! that was a great one. I bet all you women out there would rather take a punch in the arm than have your spouse TAZ you!
Don't ever hit your spouse male or female out of anger. Our OP did what he did to preserve control of a fast moving car, he did so honestly believing that was his only alternative at the time. I don't believe he is asking for approval but I believe he may be feeling guilty and wants to know if anyone else can relate or is he screwed up feeling that way....he did fine.
Would George Bush ever hit a woman? Lets say no...but he will blow her into a million pieces and he isn't even mad at her. How about anyone that has ever dropped a bomb from a plane? How about allowing a woman to sit in the electric chair??? oh, that has to mess some of you "no hit the woman" believers but are for capital punishment. I bet her vote is "PLEASE hit me if I can get off of death row!"
....get off your high horses and admit that either a) your a hipocrit b) enjoy long walks, reading the Sunday paper in bed and throwing the first stone. c) never been in the situation d) been there and regret getting your ass handed to you but expect the rest of us to experience your humiliations or e) think its pc to say no to violence in the hopes for a couple of blue stars for your post.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Hello ImaginaryReality 1984,

People are very unfortunately judge mental in such situations. As the government would say we took action for the greater good and your action mostly likely was a measure that insured that you both breathed for another day. Is it truly about moral when there is a life to death situation, just ask any army guy.

Although personally I have never raised an arm to any girl I would imagine as that both of your lives where in jeopardy, it was probably the only alternative you had and it was a of matter of survival. Some people mentioned you should have pulled over, but I can only imagine how abusive she was and as I was not there at the time. Rightfully no one can make that judgement, that action realistically may not have been permissible under the circumstances.

Don’t be so judgemental on your self, She is alive and you are alive and now you have moved on.

Regards

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

hey you left mine out.

what are the psychological ramifications of a violent video game in which males and females hit each other relentlessly and to the (in game) death?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

You bring up great points Res, but I never actually commented on the content of the thread itself, aside from my first comment, just the way the discussion was flowing. This is good stuff actually. Reminds me of the debate class i had back in the day.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Actually i am not missing his point, either he put it badly or he meant anyone who hits a woman, under any circumstance is a hitter and will stay as such.

Wow we are missing a communication connection here. Okay one last time and then I'm bowing out. Maybe I put it badly, and that's my fault. The instigator or "first hitter" is the hitter. That's what I'm talking about, not a situation where you may be appropriately defending yourself. If you're involved with a woman who has hit or otherwise attacked you, no matter how contrite and sorry she is after the fact, that's what she is. Physically abusive. A hitter. If you swim with the sharks you'll likely get bit, and if you're dating a hitter you're going to get hit. Much like, if you're dating a cheater, don't be all shocked when they cheat on you. Off topic, but had to throw it in there.

Now as to this thread, I stubmbled into it solely because of the title mainly because I have some very strong opinions on this subject. Circumstances and exceptions and blahblah aside, I'll leave it at this - if you have to ask if it's ok, the answer is "NO!"

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 1/15/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

hey you left mine out.

what are the psychological ramifications of a violent video game in which males and females hit each other relentlessly and to the (in game) death?

...ha, actually, I spent one whole year of my life playing World of Warcraft when all you could do is reach level 60. So, I would say there are NO ramifications. I actually never once thought about that I was kicking some ugly woman Orc's ass or if she was even a he.....in fact many, many, people play women in the game that are of course are male in real life...but before I get all geek here let me give you a real solid argument why there are no ramifications.
....Is there racism in the game? Did humans hate Elves? are you laughing yet? Why didn't we? Why didn't we hate dwarves? Why would we allow them in our parties? fight by their sides? Share our fortunes?
....see?.....in that world we treated everyone the same we fought Orcs and laughed when either they or us got smoked in a raid. What you should ask yourself is.....Why in the "World" can't people continue to think like that after they turn off their computers? People from around the world play these games so it isn't just some American thing. No racism, no sexism and if a woman draws a sword on you or is about to throw 1000 hit points of fire at you....you do what you have to do.....LOL!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

No... I don't that is a reason.
restraint works just fine..

And in your example...were the breaks not working?
Why not just stop the car?

I have personally never hit a woman... Not saying i never ever would,( i mean if i was jumped by a gang of girls, or just one mental one, hell bent on killing me.. damn right) i just don't find i often have to hit anyone.
I mean, your knife example too... if you're a "martial arts expert"... why the need to hit...? You should have that knife out of her hand so fast, she wouldn't have time to swing it at you!

I have seen people hit a woman when they themselves have been attacked by one...not my style, but hey... if you wanna fight like a man, expect to get hit like one... not condoning it as i said, not my style... but each to their own.

[edit on 16/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

ahh, well that does clarify it a bit. i was just wondering why i enjoyed it, as a real female playing a fake battle scenario against players who are real people too, somewhere behind that characterization. particuarly the battlegrounds. i liked all that teamwork and quick thinking. not remotely boring although frequently expensive and typically aggravating (if you're alliance). i had a blood elf too, so i saw it from both sides. never played a male. should have though, just to see what it's like from the male perspective.

people are a case study, i tell ya, and especially interesting to discover why you as an individual, do the things you do. i wondered if perhaps it was a throwback from when i would get beat up at the bus stop by a neighborhood bully, and would go home from school with notes from my teachers asking why i came to school with my clothes torn and muddied and my hair dishelleved. hey, he hit me, i hit him back.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by undo]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
...actually Yeahright, I have been waiting to hear your story...it was obvious that there was one to hear. I only say that now because you said you are done here, but I wanted to let you know that I was watching and waiting for it. The "if you hit, you are a hitter" was certainly a flag.
Don't make Dirk's point.....the point that nobody will change their minds about the issue.
I don't think anyone is trying to convince anyone else that hitting a woman (or anyone) is cool or ideal but by addressing this micro issue we can understand better a macro issue like the situation in Gaza.
...what if Hamas was a woman and Israel was a man? the annoying missles they have been "hitting" Israel with and they took it for a long time and then the "man" fights back with disproportionate "hitting" maybe that makes your point that it is never ok to "hit" a woman. does violence solve anything?
That might be getting deeper than anything we want to get into in this thread....but what about what that one poster said.....if you saw a woman beating one of your children? Could you be cool and collected and say, "hey, stop that please" and what do you do if she gives you the finger and then knocks your kid to the ground with an upper cut to the jaw? ......some readers are saying, "well, that is different." or maybe that could never happen.......well to those of you that have never lived in a big city, there are some big 16 year old girls that would have no problem kicking the crap out of your 7 year old daughter for her lunch money and would no more fear you then her dad that she has never met.
....No, protecting your family with violence is not "morally correct" but I for one will tell St.Peter or whomever guards the gates that I would do it again to protect my family.....(no, situation has never ever happened to me, but since I have worked with sex offenders, I have had the opportunity to imagine in my head....how I would "react" to...a situation....and believe me....I would not care for a moment whether the offender was a man or woman.
So the answer is......YES
but I still want to hear why you, "yeahright" think it is still "NO"

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Ever seen the movie Fatal Attraction?

It does show how a man could find himself in a situation where he would have to hit a woman, or possibly even worse.

If you haven't seen the movie, you can watch it free here:

www.fancast.com...

Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.

Who are the true villains and victims?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
First, let me say that I would never hit a woman and I would steer clear of having relationships with women who were violent.

Having said that, sometimes it seems to me that some women will haul off and hit a guy while hiding behind their gender for protection. The thing is, if I were to go up to someone and punch them, I would be expecting to be hit back. Why is this different when it's a woman hitting a guy? If a woman wants to assault a man, she'd have to be crazy not to assume that "Hey, he might hit me back if I do this." As I said, I wouldn't hit a woman for any reason, but if she's going to assault someone be it either a man or another woman, she should be expecting the possibility of being hit back. I don't agree with it, but I understand assuming the man doesn't beat the crap out of her.

Now, if a man strikes the first blow on a woman, that is different and not acceptable under any circumstances to me. Unfortunately, I saw this as a child and it's not a pretty sight. To this day, I have personally not come across any situation that would call for me to hit a woman and never will.

With regards to the OP, I would have been more inclined to pull the car over and make her get out or something to that effect, but I understand given the circumstances of driving at high speeds and on the verge of losing control of the car because of what she was doing. She was not only endangering the lives of the people in that car, but also the lives of others on the road as well. That's a possible life or death situation at that point, but I would definitely be more selective with who I chose to get into relationships with in the future.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Undo.....if you went to a school in a suburb of Minneapolis then I will be creeped out. The kid that got beat up at the bus stop was beat up by a group of girls and I got thrown into the pond for coming to his "failed rescue"....do I regret not fighting back or hitting them...hmmmm, I will let people decide that....but you can imagine the humiliation. Yeah, why would a highschool bus stop be in the same place as a bunch of elementary kids....? now, could you imagine if a bunch of highschool boys picked up a little 4th grade girl and threw her into a pond? In this day in age they would be on the news....but this was the '70's and I was a boy.....no, I wasn't friends with the kid at all.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If you push things to the point that I have to decide whether to hit you or not, rest assured that your gender will not be the deciding factor.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
From my point of view as an adult you should never hit a girl. Ever. If you do around me you're looking at getting the same treatment back, it makes me that mad.

A story to contemplate:

When I was younger.. maybe 8-10.. not sure. My cousin was going to throw my most prized piece of clothing into a poo pond. It happened to be a Ferrari hat given to me by my uncle. I wrestled with her for that hat and ended up pushing her away from it when it went onto the ground. She went much further than I expected and got a nice gravely knee... I was used to pushing boys around and didn't know my own strength as such. Now at 21 with 3 years of gym under my belt I sure as hell won't push/hit/whatever a girl because of that lesson early on in life.

The only time I'd hit a girl is if she was directly threatening my life and it was the only option.

Good thread OP.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Born and raised in the southern US, you grow up respecting females. If you hit one girl, every boy that can, will take a swing at you.

However, there are times when necessary force becomes the only option.

A former girlfriend of mine got a little buzzed one night and started kicking me, in a manner similar to kickboxing. I can take much more damage to my calves, shins and thighs than she can dish out, so I let her play a bit, blocking here and there. She got a bit carried away and got a little to close to my...um, you know, ultra sentive male area....and my snap reaction was to grab her leg and throat and lay her flat of her back with retaliation force. I stopped myself about halfway through the motion. One arm cradling her leg at shoulder height, the other cradling the back of her neck at waist level. I stood her back up very carefully and walked away. She never played that game again and no one got hurt.

That being said, if a woman swings a fist, a knife, any metal object, any baton/bat type object or anything else that I feel could cause immediate and long term injury to my person...the next call made will be to 911. I have no problems letting women be the rough and tumble flirts that some like to be, but come at me with anger and force and then we find out what happens when male-Hell meets woman-Scorned.

Thankfully, this is all theory and no practice in my life to date.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by USMC-oorah
When I was 18 there was this girl who kept on slapping me in the face over and over again

Ahaha.....ahahahahaheehoohahheehoo...hahaa...
Sorry mate but that's just hilarious. Why did she keep slapping your face?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

no, i was a little girl, being beat up by a much bigger guy, every morning at the bus stop. well, he would start it by knocking my lunch box out of my hand, at which point i would have to go chasing after it like george mcfly. but where george and i differed was, i had no concept of size or gender differential. i would go back and swing at him or yell at him and he would hit me, like smack me in the shoulder or push me or pull my hair, etc. and it would escalate from there, every day, every day. mom finally hired a local teenage girl to walk me to the bus stop in the morning to make sure i got to school in one piece. hehe

i didn't care. totally clueless to the serious pain that guy coulda caused me cause i was just livid. ya know, i had a cute lunch box, made of metal with painted pictures of barbie and so on. mom spent the previous evening brushing out my hair and setting it for the next day (1960s), only to have the guy yank it out of the ribbons or otherwise muss up what had been a long night of sleeping on curlers and bobby pins lol

anyway...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
If the fist is clenched then sorry but you are gonna get the equal rights you have fought for.
[edit on 15-1-2009 by DrumsRfun]

Uh...not the same thing.

No one should hit another person. A woman hitting a man is WRONG. However, men (in general) are stronger than women and consequently, can cause more damage. If a woman hits you, you should restrain her or leave the area. If you want to teach her a lesson, file charges against her.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join