It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Airways Plane down in the Hudson river

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exhile
Do you really believe geese or birds can take down the engine of a plane? Especially, a turbofan of an airline jet?

Don't need to believe anything, we know they can take out the engine. A large enough bird will easily take the engine out, even if the engine could (technically) still run. But if a blade is damaged and leads to flameout,it is generally a good idea to turn it off. And if a plane is so unlucky to fly through a flock of birds, then yes, it can take both engines out.

After all, those blades rotate incredibly fast and were they to come out of the cowling (not that they can) it would slice through the first thing it hit. Even if it stays in the engine, if it bends or comes off the engine won't be balanced and will need to be shutdown because it would be unstable.

Pilots nowadays can safely and securely land planes with no landing gear.

I'd like to see that done in plane fully loaded with fuel 5 minutes after takeoff with no fire. It isn't going to happen, for starters the engines would touch down first, probably starting a terrible fireball as they come off.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Dad on flight: ‘It was like a roller coaster
Video of story on today show really informing how other passengers behaved while trying to evacuate plane
today.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Anyone else think that it was odd that all this was being reported live while barely cutting away to Bush's final goodbye?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i went to fl a couple weeks ago, and that was the flight i took to NC for my connecting flight, not the exact same plane, but roughly the same route i took.

i saw this stuff happen right out of my office building. it overlooks the hudson and well everyone survived, geese did in fact strike the plane, the pilot is being praised on tv right now, and im still in shock because 4 weeks ago i was onthat route.

well good thing no one died.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Here's some fairly high res shots of the plane being towed to the dock (I think)

img222.imagevenue.com...

img215.imagevenue.com...

img125.imagevenue.com...

img157.imagevenue.com...

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I dont believe the story of birds stopping the engines at all.Something smells fishy.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

It floats because the fuselage is a more or less airtight pressure vessel trapping a large air bubble of , say, 11,200 cubic feet, which displaces 84,000 gallons of water, weighing 672,000 pounds at 32.5 degrees F. The max takeoff weght of an Airbus 320 is 166,500 pounds. Also, the fuel load is 6300 gallons which weighs about 2 pounds per gallon less than the water it displaces. A modern aircraft carrier weighs about 194 million pounds and it floats.
And the Hudson in that area is about 32 feet deep. The A320 is 37 feet tall with gear extended, which it was not.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
if the plane crashed the thread would be 50 pages

its just a signal that our society on ATS prefers negatives...

well done pilots...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
When did ATS turn into people just doing copy pasta of mainstream media ? i though this was Alternative news. Is this just a cheap way of rackin up points? Correct me if im wrong but alternative news is news that is alternative not the headlines from the mainstream media

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Exhile

please watch the video i posted - that is exactly what a bird beign ingested does to the engine of an airliner.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have to give it to the pilot, that takes some skill and balls to get it done as well as he did. Same with the crew and passengers taking care of business and all getting out safe.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Lol, not a conspiracy... but yeh.

Facts:
Birds really can screw up planes.
Planes do not sink due to buoyancy from wings.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoungStalin
When did ATS turn into people just doing copy pasta of mainstream media ? i though this was Alternative news. Is this just a cheap way of rackin up points? Correct me if im wrong but alternative news is news that is alternative not the headlines from the mainstream media

I thought a plane crash was important enough mainstream information that people here would want to know about. It was not a way to up my points. I don't even know how to do that. I just figured that since a plane was floating in a river and people were getting out, it might be something that others would want to watch/learn about.

Excuse me for going against what you think articles should be. Forgive me

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i am waiting to see a statement from kanye west saying george bush hates black people and somehow brought down the plane so no one would watch his good bye speech

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
God is watching over New York and we can thank him no one got killled.
This pilot is a Hero who knew what he was doing, and we can thank God yet again USAir hired him based on his experience alone.

No Affirmative Action required here!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
If there could ever be such a thing as a perfect crash this is it.

Top notch pilot, co-pilot and crew
Perfect belly landing
Close to shore
Multiple Ferry boats able to assist in a matter of moments
Rapid top notch response (Kudos to the skill of training to all of those in NYC)
No deaths

This is amazing.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
NOW they say 1 of the engines is MISSING, Broken Off !

In current Live shots, you can even see the plane listing far to one side due to the imbalance !

Uh... the plane was sitting fine throughout the rescue & coverage yesterday

They say Divers will have to search for it. GOOD LUCK in that soup !

Also See

Bank Of America: 'Large Grp' Of Workers On NYC Plane
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and

Midnight Story
Treasury, Federal Reserve, and the FDIC Provide Assistance to Bank of America
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1-16-09 by atoms.2008]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
New Jet Mystery: Both Engines Missing
abcnews.go.com...

Both the left and right engines of the US Airways Airbus A320 detached from the plane after impact, according to officials at the scene.

also

NTSB: US Airways Jet to Be Removed From River Tomorrow at 10 a.m. ET

[edit on 1/16/2009 by Telafree]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Uggg. Its so hard for me to fly as it is, this doesnt help

tell me about it, I hate getting on a plane. the only good thing about this is EVERYONE survived.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree
[New Jet Mystery: Both Engines Missing

All I could think after hearing this was LOL

Did they say who was on board? I thought I caught something about important business people on board, I need to look around and try find who was on board.

This is getting more smelly by the minute.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join