It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Airways Plane down in the Hudson river

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

The answer to questions 2 and 3 is quite simple.

A bunch of ferries, owned by private companies such as Circle Line and NY Waterway and by Coast Guard boats.

NYC's West Side has a few piers which are capable of receiving boats of that size and have the facilities to accept passengers.

As a result of that, some were transported to the other side of the river which is New Jersey. As I'm writing this, various agencies are working together using the passenger list and the list of patients transported to hospitals to confirm the locations of every single person.

The press briefings were done very cautiously to ensure that everyone is accounted for.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

trusername...if you'd care to read other of my posts you would know that not ALL airliners are required to carry 'life-jackets'.

Under FAA rules, only if an airplane is flying a route that goes beyond 50 miles from land is it required to carry rafts and/or life-vests.

THIS is why, in case you laugh, ALL of your seats are velcroed to the base, and have straps underneath for your arms, in case you need them to help you float.

IN THIS USAIR situation, even IF they had had life-vests, there was certainly no time to have had the passengers don the vests, in any case.

THIS IS WHY the bottom seat cushions can be used, in an emergency.

EDIT to add....for an average two-engined, under-slung engined jet, such as a B-737, B-757, B-767 or B-777, or an A-319, A-320 or A-321....the airplane will, as I've said, if properly ditched, and if the wings are still attached, float....mostly nose up. THAT is why you DO NOT open the aft doors, in this situation.

[edit on 1/15/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Saw press conference on CNBC

(sorely mistaken)
Hmm...

And, they are Not confirming Any specific cause, saying anything reported is Unconfirmed Speculation Only

removed mistaken content

[edit on 1-15-09 by atoms.2008]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Here's the pilot - Chesley Sullenberger III, former A4 fighter pilot, 40 year veteran pilot, and above all, the hero of the day!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
They are showing live shots right now of the plane in the water tied up to the side of the river. What an incredibly erie site.

They are saying these statistics too:

* 7,439 bird strikes on planes in 2007
* $500mil in damage done
* 100 killed due to birds

wow.

[edit on 1/15/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by atoms.2008

Are you sure Bloomberg was on that flight? I heard he arrived to the site in an SUV...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This entire incident was a complete Miracle. The Pilot had some serious Feather Fingers, and what an amazing landing he Made!

Just a few moments ago, my family was discussing how this Pilot was very likely a Military Pilot, and sure enough, about Two Minutes after we brought it up the News confirmed such. He is a Veteran F-4 Phantom Pilot, and Flight Training Officer, as well as an Aviation Accident Investigator, among other Experience based Background Qualities.

The location he chose was absolutely Amazing as well, far better than choosing Route Four, or any other Land/Water Based Landing Opportunity for that matter. The Harbor Patrol and Coast Guard Coastal Defense Units from Sandy Hook, NJ arrived on Scene Immediately, as did Ferries, Tugs, and so Forth. The Pilot could NOT have picked a better location for an Emergency Landing in the Drink.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Why do you think they didn't have time to grab the seat cushions if you don't think they had life jackets?

I would think that this is the Perfect time to grab the seat cushions.

And I also see a lot of life jackets in later shots - are these all from the boats? There are also life jackets or something floating in the water.

CNBC said that they did fish some people out of the water - so you'd think they'd tell people to grab the floatation devices. They had some warning after all - it wasn't a nose dive. And the water is very cold - they'd all know that without warning -

I'm not saying it wasn't amazing - but this is a conspiracy site - aren't we supposed to at least question the amazing?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Apparently the flock of geese was so large that it showed up on radar. It must have been big, to knock out both engines.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
For the people who are worrying about the pets in the cargo – Don’t worry, US Airways lets your pets in the cabin on domestic flights, this is from their website:

The number of pets that may be carried in each cabin is limited. In order for your pet to travel with you, you must make your reservations on flights with cabin pet space available.

Pets in cabin count toward the carry-on baggage allowance. Pets must remain inside their approved container under the seat directly in front of you.

Amazing landing though.

Mikey

[edit on 15/1/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
this being a conspiracy site i'm surprised there's been no mention of the contingency of Bank of America employees on board.

amazing survival story all the same.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by ll__raine__ll]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I truly apologize, I was sorely mistaken

During the press conference, the ticker at the bottom said something like "Mayor Bloomberg on crashed jet"

I had no idea what he looks like. I Guess I Do Now!

I removed that from my previous post

(obviously he was the one speaking)

[edit on 1-15-09 by atoms.2008]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
AHH, But We Seem To Have This !

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll
i'm surprised there's been no mention of the contingency of Bank of America employees on board.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Yetichi

Yetichi

If your question was sincere, no a submarine would not be feasible. IMHO for two reasons, 1 - there was most likely no sub in the area, 2 - lifting or supporting the air frame in a single location loaded with fuel and now water would most likely cause a structural failure thereby creating a larger problem.

Contrary to the reply post you received, NO your question is not “the most ridiculous thing ive literally ever read”.

Good question from you, keep posting !

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by borachon
Counting the posts until this is chalked up to conspiracy...

Just got off a plane a couple days ago and I seriously want to buy everybody who was on that one a drink.

I'll give it a go. I was talking to a guy in a bar who was a friend of a friend of somone that was onboard. The said that it was not actually birds but two metalic sphere like UFOs that took out the plane. Some guy in a black suit and sunglasses gathered all the people that were onboad including the crew and told them to tell everyone that it was birds not UFOs. Everyone was threatened that if they spoke the illuminati would come for them and their families. These UFOs were the early scouting party for the Galactic Federation of Light starship that will be flying over NYC on October 14th 2009.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Well, a quote from one of the news sites has a passenger saying “we heard a loud explosion”

This is proof that it was a controlled demolition! Obviously lol

Mikey

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Kudos to New York!

After watching the news, I am reminded why I especially love New York and why I am proud to be an American.

Why? Because of the overwhelming response of so many New Yorkers to this accident. There were utility workers and businessmen rushing to the site to help and assist the victims of the crash.

No one panicked, there was no hysteria, it was almost as if they were all trained to respond to an incident in a professional, cool manner.

There was no rich and poor, black and white, left or right - just New Yorkers pulling together in one great act of selflessness.

And of course, the work of the NYPD, FDNY, USCG, harbor workers, etc. was fantastic.

And most of all, the pilot and crew of US Air 1549.

New York, you're the greatest!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The Pilot did an amazing job, it could of been much worse and ended up like this: (what usually happens when a plane lands on water)

Mikey

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The ferry captains that saw the crash put the distress call out on the radio and all of the ferries in the area headed to the crash site on there own with out being called.

It takes a good caption to control a ship that size so skillfully.

I have been a helmsman on a navy minesweeper that size and know what it takes to maneuver that close of quarters to pick up people.

The explosion the people on the plane heard was the engine reigniting after a flame out.
The burning fuel in the engine flamed out when the birds went through.
Then it reignited and the hot fuel fumes behind the engine also ignite making a big bang. sometimes it will make a large fire ball behind the engine.
But by then the engine speed was to low to spin back up to flying speed.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

ANNED.....as a pilot, I agree with the fact that many watercraft came to the aid of the downed airplane....BUT, you are incorrect in your assertion that the engines were flaming, or otherwise causing fires.

Frankly, the choice of getting to a smooth pavement, such as an airport runway, is certainly better than a ditching decision. HOWEVER, given the options at hand, I believe the Captain did what he could, with the best he had. AND, I am proud of my profession, because he made the best decision, under the circumstances.

Folks....we train for the worst possible experience...over and over an over again, never expecting it to happen to us...yet, the training is WHY we train over and over.....

We practice this stuff, in simulations....and it appears to be obvious that experience and simulations have given us the ability to deal with situations, as required.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join