It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Airways Plane down in the Hudson river

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

What are trying to say here? Can you see it or not? I'm confused.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Yetichi

That was my first concern also, that of people's pets. I hope a special submarine can be found to search just in case.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Counting the posts until this is chalked up to conspiracy...

Just got off a plane a couple days ago and I seriously want to buy everybody who was on that one a drink.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This forum should be renamed to Breaking News.

Most of the stuff that's posted here isn't alternative news, it's mainstream.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by borachon
Counting the posts until this is chalked up to conspiracy...

Just got off a plane a couple days ago and I seriously want to buy everybody who was on that one a drink.

Lol, what conspiracy, the plane hit a flock of geesa, well the preliminary reports say that anyway

Maybe the government planted the geese

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stripester
reply to post by Yetichi

That was my first concern also, that of people's pets. I hope a special submarine can be found to search just in case.

i already considered this contingency plan on the 3rd post of this thread. someone thought it was ridiculous but i don't understand why. sometimes you have to be innovative in emergencies.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'm glad no one got hurt but this story is taking attention away from the more important story of the U.N. reporting their building in Gaza being struck by Israel's white phosphorus bombs.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I used to live on 59th Bet First and york, that would jhave looked like it was going to hit my apt if I saw it. Imagine what people thought though when first see a plane coming at NY, OMG not this again.

It is just amazing everyone is alright and really give us a lil hope about our humanity, people were calm, and helped women and children out first. The pilot was last to get off. And they say us NYers are pushy jerks lol.

Great news

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Need to say welldone to anyone involved in that rescue, and the pilots/crew/passengers for seemingly remaining calm and level headed during the situation. Normally in something like that, its the mass panic by the people on the plane that results in a lot of death and injury (assuming the plane gets down in one piece! Good job that man! )

As for the pets, seeing as the bottom of the plane was allready submerged.. im pretty sure thats a sad ending from almost the start.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
what a great pilot, planes are known to break up on impact with water.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I just got home and saw this on the TV! Thankfully no one was killed!
They all made it out safely!
Its not often that a plane like this crashes and anyone makes it out alive..

Kudos to the pilot! If it wasn't for his training, those people would have met Davey Jones!

I had heard it was a flock of birds that got sucked into the engines..Took out both the engines! And made a landing into the icy cold Hudson River!

Im just glad no one was hurt!! I can not stress that enough!
Now, I bet those people froze their butts off!! Its really cold there!!

The plane's hull must not have been breached.. As it floated for some time until it sunk. If the planes hull was cracked open, it would have sunk quickly! But becasue the Hull is full of air, it will stay afloat for the time that it did! Its just alot of luck!! And thankfully no one was hurt..

But sertinly would have freaked them all out!! And sertinly was cold!!
These folks are simply lucky they had a trained pilot..
Water landings are tricky as ever.. So many things could have happened, but it didnt, so thats a good thing..
Burrrr..

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

To make a guess i would say it is still full of fuel. The fuel is lighter than water and in the wings.
Cheers,
Kitos

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There is a crane on the way. If they can suspend the plane, maybe they can pump the fuel out to lighten it before they yank it out of the water.

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Absolutey miraculous, people are even walking on water to top it off, kudos to pilots & manufacturer & crew, that everyone is ok!

[edit on 15-1-2009 by stringue]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I know a lot of people were asking what would happen to the plane.

At the moment it's tied to a pier at the very south of Manhattan. As you probably saw, the plane was drifting South anyways, so it's been tied down near Battery Park.

According to what I've been hearing, extraction will be done when the NTSB reps arrive.

That's going to be a hell of a sight.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
What amazing photos that are coming out from this, Im so happy that everyone seems to have lived, What a shocking event but with a happy ending,

Stunned! at the pics,

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There is no doubt that a flock of birds (some say Geese,) but who knows what species of birds happen to flock together in this time of year, but in any case....this does show that our training, as Air Crew, whether they be Pilots or Cabin Crew, result in a resounding success when dealt with extreme circumstances.

The possibility of bird strikes is always there....the chances of losing both engines during a bird strike is a once-in-a-million event. The engines are designed to take a lot of damage....but even under extreme conditions, assuming both engines were damaged enough to limit their ability to continue to produce power, the Captain surely would have tried to find the nearest suitable airport....however, given the situation, I would guess that ditching was the best possible outcome, based on the condition of the engines.

As you watch the news, you will realize that they will describe the ditching procedure....which, basically, involves a PA that says 'BRACE FOR IMPACT', (verbiage will vary depending on airline) and from a pilot's perspective, the best way to ditch is to try to put the tail in first....so it is a nose-high attitude when you impact the water....because, the engines, being under the wings, might cause much drag if they hit first.

Of course, engine mounts are designed to shear under great stresses, and the wings are mostly bouyant, since a lot of the wing structure is hollow (except, of course, for the fuel tanks...and, for a short flight from NYC to Charlotte, the airplane would NOT be fully fueled to capacity).

The pilots and the cabin crew did an exemplarly job, and it is an indication of how well the modern training regimens that are in use today have improved safety standards.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

That's going to be a hell of a sight.

and a lot of soaked luggage

:-) 2nd line

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

burdman.....sorry, but since I know a little bit about how emergencies are understood.....IF you ditch, the Cabin Crew are instructed NOT to open the aft doors!!!

The wings, if intact, will provide a lot of flotation. Since, they are mostly full of air, except for the fuel sections.

Depending on the airplane, if it is certified (or not) for extended over-water operations, there MAY be liferafts installed in the cabin ceiling.

I'm sensing that this particular version was not certified for Over-water OPs....didn't need to be, since every passenger seat has a flotation device, whether it be the seat cushion, or a life-vest. The point, and I think it's been well demonstrated, that the occasional crash into the water, very near a shore, doesn't require the full raft complement.

Anyway...the Flight Crew and the Cabin Crew did an exemplary job, given circumstances presented to them...and this will be proven, as the events unfold...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stringue

well I can suggest a couple of conspiracies:

1) why don't they all have their life jackets on in that picture

2) why weren't they all taken to the same place - so that a count could be official.

3) the officials do seem to be a bit cagey about just coming out and saying NO ONE DIED OR MISSING. maybe you're right - it's because of the pets?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join