It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Airways Plane down in the Hudson river

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Well they are showing a nice picture of the passengers standing in line on top of the wing and on the door closes to the cabin they had a inflatable boat, it looks like people didn't go into a panic.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was on the NJ side of the Hudson river in Jersey City and I saw the plane go down. The pilot did a great job and landed the plane as softly as possible. It was close to the ferry port on the NY side so the boats got to it within a couple of minutes. It was a surreal moment seeing a plane land in the Hudson river. I am glad everyone got out alive, thank God.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
wow erasure, that must have been a very very surreal experience to see a plane land in the water.

ARe you guys still seeing it floating? Will they be able to literally pull it out of the water intact? What is the protocol for something like this. I dont think Ive ever heard of a plane landing intact on the water and floating.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Localjoe3
-why did the cabin flood if there was no hole in the fuselage
[edit on 15-1-2009 by Localjoe3]

Strictly a guess, but the instant they cracked open the doors, cabin pressure would have normalized and the plane would have lowered in the water enough to start taking on water at the base of the open doors. Notice the doors on an Airbus 320 is pretty low. Also, I doubt they even had the landing gear up and locked yet, let alone the cargo holds presurized.
farm3.static.flickr.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Oh lord..I hope people are ok...This is horrible. I can't imagine a scarier scenario. My prayers and thoughts are with them.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Thanks for posting the picture that is a nicer picture than the one I saw, in this one the passengers are in both side of the air plane wings.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

wow, what an amazing picture. I am so happy that no one perished in this crash.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Okay, perhaps this has been mentioned, but doesn't the speculation of "birds interfering" seem pretty weak?

I mean, what are the chances of birds taking out both engines?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telafree
wow erasure, that must have been a very very surreal experience to see a plane land in the water.

ARe you guys still seeing it floating? Will they be able to literally pull it out of the water intact? What is the protocol for something like this. I dont think Ive ever heard of a plane landing intact on the water and floating.

It is still there but is starting to sink. They are trying to secure the plane now to keep it from completely sinking. What a moment. We get pretty nervous when we see low flying plane around these parts for obvious reasons. I work in Jersey City just across from the Manhatten. I was outside with a group of people and we saw this plane coming down the Hudson river from the north at about 300 feet or so I would guess. First thing that came to mind was a terror attack. Then it just kind of glided in slow motion right into the water. It made a pretty big splash and then you could see the plane just floating there in the middle of the river. The rescue boats were on it in no time. Great job by everyone getting those people out of the water.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Okay, perhaps this has been mentioned, but doesn't the speculation of "birds interfering" seem pretty weak?

Fairly strong if the plane flew through a flock of geese. We get flocks of them out here in the wetlands around the Puget Sound which are composed of hundreds of geese. They're an impressive sight when they all get startled at once and take flight. It's also easy to see how a plane could hit several of them if it happened to be unlucky enough to fly through the flock.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
i wonder if anyones animals were on board in the storage area. that would be horrible if there are and they just let them drown.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean

Many airports, including JFK actually hire handlers and their hawks to keep the birds away. They send out the hawks (though im not 100% sure of the exact bird) to scare off the nuisance birds. Birds are always a huge issue around airports/planes, so the explanation is actually very strong.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reports on pprune is that it was a dual flame out from a flock of geese

[edit on 15/1/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yetichi
i wonder if anyones animals were on board in the storage area. that would be horrible if there are and they just let them drown.

Good lord, that's such a sad thought. I hope that there weren't any animals on board.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Yetichi

I'm sure that there was a submarine in the area at the time waiting for just such an eventually.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Kudos to the pilot and crew for making the emergency ditch and the passangers who appeared to maintain calm and evac.
Kudos to the NYC rescue squads

Nice to have a happy ending once and while.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Looks like everyone got out of the plane OK.

That's good news.

When I first heard this on the radio they didn't have any answers.

Everyone is OK.

Although I bet some of the people need a change of undies !!! '
'

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Wildbob77]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The first thought that came to my head was 'is this obama'ss mini 9/11' setting him up for further wars.

Respect to the pilot though.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Aussie TV is reporting ALL passengers got out alive, no life threatening injuries.

Interviewing a youngman who said that he saw a woman with a baby tryng to climb over the seats and he said to himself "Women and children first". Someone behind him gave him their overcoat as he had light sweater/shirt on.

I am happy for all of them
and although it could have been a tragedy it has a great ending for everyone on board.

Poor birdies

take care
res

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join