It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget canned foods - Buy the staples - Flour, sugar etc.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Canned defineatly has advantages but I prefer to bring some fresh staples with me (salt, oats, flour (And yes I've made fresh bread when camping LOL)) when camping and then hunting/gathering to suppliment the staples with game/wild edibles.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

I think stocking up on Staples (Rice, Oats, Flour, Powdered Milk, Powdered Eggs) is a good idea, but I have to agree that having some canned things is a good idea as well. However, I would be more inclined to do the canning myself (if I knew how). Having Protein Supplements and such I think anyway, is also a good idea. I have a soy based protein powder that can be mixed with Water or with Soy Milk that is quite nutritional. However, it's pretty expensive.

As a student, I can not stock up on things like that. I have a dorm room the size of a regular houses' washroom. I keep some canned goods in case of emergency, as well as fresh food - I don't buy things I don't eat because I can't afford to have stuff go bad. I have Rice, Oats, Pasta, dried fruits, Protein Powder, Protein bars etc... all in case of an emergency. Because it's just me, I rotate through those things quite regularly. I always have a couple of cans of soup, and enough dry food to last me about a month if I need to.

I've eaten IMP's (which I think are the Canadian version of MRE's?) back when I was in Army Cadets - and they weren't that bad. My parents actually have a couple of ration boxes that they bought from someone (the same ones we used to eat in Cadets) my dad has them in the cold room with the rest of their "Stock". They're not bad, and i would suggest having some on hand in case you need them, but I personally do not stock up on them (I'm a vegetarian and most of those have meat in them). In the even of a SitX though, I'm sure my dietary quirks would change if it meant eating or going hungry.

- Carrot

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

May I recommend a few months food however you like, and then
for survival means 8,000 - 800,000 carrot seeds they are
very small and 8,000 weight much less than one gram.

Also for a complete plant protein may I recommend Giant
Golden Amaranth seeds that are also tiny.

Go to Asian markets and buy 50 lb bags of rice, etc to hold you over,
it stores real well if kept cool and dry, mine is underground.

Get a bugout bag made, and hopefully you will not need any of this,
but with some of the bizzarre things going on who knows.

Check the Survival thread for what to put in your bag.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

I found this through the USDA website. The website is harder to navigate but there are many gems of information located within the depths and other websites it is linked to.

These pdf's form a complete book and guide to canning:
Complete Guide to Home Canning

There are about 8 of them. I use free PDFill to compile them all together to form 1 file. This book looks fairly complete. Just about anything you would want to know about canning.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
They're not bad, and i would suggest having some on hand in case you need them, but I personally do not stock up on them (I'm a vegetarian and most of those have meat in them). In the even of a SitX though, I'm sure my dietary quirks would change if it meant eating or going hungry.

Believe me when it comes to the crunch you will throw away your ideals in preference of survival. Meat contains a lot of nutrients especially protein the amount of meat required for amount of protein is much smaller then the amount of non-meat products.
Being a vegetarian when you are desperate for food is like being an atheist when you are dieing. You change your beliefs very quickly.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

Thank you! I'll be sure to check out the site and pass it along to my mother who knows a little bit about Canning....

Originally Posted by Cauch1
Believe me when it comes to the crunch you will throw away your ideals in preference of survival. Meat contains a lot of nutrients especially protein the amount of meat required for amount of protein is much smaller then the amount of non-meat products.
Being a vegetarian when you are desperate for food is like being an atheist when you are dieing. You change your beliefs very quickly.

I know that - which is why I believe I even stated in the post of mine that you quoted - that in a time of SitX my eating habits would change. Right now - I don't eat meat (not because I'm pro-animal rights or non-animal testing) it's because I don't trust the current meat industry with the food they are feeding us. Pumped full of hormones - no thank you. I'd be more inclined to eat the meat from wild animals, thus reducing my paranoia threshold of commercial meats.

When it comes to the crunch - I won't be picky, I know that.

- Carrot

[edit on 2/9/2009 by CA_Orot]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
reply to post by Amaxium

I know that - which is why I believe I even stated in the post of mine that you quoted - that in a time of SitX my eating habits would change. Right now - I don't eat meat (not because I'm pro-animal rights or non-animal testing) it's because I don't trust the current meat industry with the food they are feeding us. Pumped full of hormones - no thank you. I'd be more inclined to eat the meat from wild animals, thus reducing my paranoia threshold of commercial meats.

When it comes to the crunch - I won't be picky, I know that.

- Carrot

[edit on 2/9/2009 by CA_Orot]

Just seems rather silly if you think about it. Sure the current meat industry is pumping all sorts of goodies into our burgers, but at the same time farms are doing the same to our fruits and veggies. Going vegetarian and using growth hormones in meat is just hypocritical. You can't condemn that practice when the vegetarian lifestyle you lead is also being pumped full of garbage as well.

Unless your buying from a farmer you know for a fact that doesn't use anything but nature itself to grow his crops, then your veggies are no better than someones burger. I too feel bad that we've evolved to require a lot of protein, but that's life. Something has to die for something to live. If it came down to just you. me and the last twinkie on earth ... Your dead. And when I'm done with the twinkie, I'm cooking you up as well.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaxium

The idea being to stretch out your resources as long as possible and do not waste, ever. It only takes me 3 - 4 minutes to heat a can of beans vs 30 - 40 to cook from staple.

Beans rice and pasta can be soaked before cooking and therefore reduce cooking time.

When it comes to long term survival in a depression type situation I'd rather have the food and search for a cooking source than have a working stove and no food.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join