It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dem chairman to introduce military draft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) likely will introduce his controversial legislation to reinstate the draft again this year, but he will wait until after the economic stimulus package is passed.

Asked if he plans to introduce the legislation again in 2009, Rangel last week said, “Probably … yes. I don’t want to do anything this early to distract from the issue of the economic stimulus.”

Full article

This keeps popping up...I wonder if it has Obama's seal of approval?

[edit on 15-1-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It's inevitable that a draft will be initiated if the problems in the Middle East continue to escalate. We have only so many soldiers, and the retention rates are none to good. With Israel fanning the fire, it won't be long before the US becomes involved, and that will require more troops. I'm glad I'm too old to be drafted..

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well I hope they are prepared to deal with the consequences if it passes. The war is not exactly a popular item right now. This move might just cause the US to sink into a civil war. Not only that but it will completely destroy the economy.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I am glad I am in Canada.
I hope this gets people pissed off enough to finally stand up and fight it.
Its easy for a bunch of suit and tie guys to send you to your demise.
Maybe they should draft their own kids first and lead by example.
Star and flag.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Well I hope they are prepared to deal with the consequences if it passes. The war is not exactly a popular item right now. This move might just cause the US to sink into a civil war. Not only that but it will completely destroy the economy.

I really doubt the draft going through. Sadly if such an event occurred around this time I would have to agree there would be serious problems over here I can just hear them at work now, "What the? Where's the world war at? This is..." well you get the picture, it will never go through with the American people at least not this year unless something drastically changes and sadly by that I mean a nuke.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
War has always been our country's way of digging it's way out of hard financial times. It also makes a lot of politicians and military contractors filthy rich overcharging for military goods just like Halliburton is reaping the benefits of millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars.

War is also an effective means of population control. Too many people to support? Start a war and eliminate a few of them through attrition. We're only statistics to the power that be, not living, breathing entities..

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
good thing I've been stocking up...

because there is no way I am going anywhere to fight this fake terrorist war. (9-11 inside job)

They have to come get me and I dont think I am alone in that thought.
(sadly i would be the one up for draft
so come on, I am ready!)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This guy needs to get a grip. From the original link:

She also said Rangel’s legislation was not about reinstating the draft but was instead “a way to make a point” about social inequality.
Rangel voted against his own bill, claiming the GOP was playing political games.

So, he wastes taxpayer money to introduce a bill he votes against just to make a point and then accuses the GOP of playing political games??? He should lose his job.

This is his way of showing his disapproval for the war (which I understand and agree with), saying that if we are to continue war, we're going to need a draft. But what he's really trying to do is blackmail the powers to stop the war.

Rangel's 2006 Bill

"I don't expect my bill to pass; my purpose in introducing this legislation is for it to serve as a constant reminder that we have lost 2,200 of the best, brightest and bravest Americans, have had thousands more maimed, and countless Iraqi citizens killed. As the President speaks of a national response involving the military option, military service should be a shared sacrifice. Right now the only people being asked to sacrifice in any way are those men and women who with limited options chose military service and now find themselves in harm's way in Iraq. A draft would ensure that every economic group would have to do their share, and not allow some to stay behind while other people's children do the fighting.

He makes a GREAT point, though:

”Our military is more like a mercenary force than a citizen militia. It is dominated by men and women who need an economic leg-up. Bonuses of up to $40,000 and a promise of college tuition look very good to someone from an economically depressed urban or rural community. But, as events unfold in Iran, Syria and North Korea and become even more dangerous, at what point will the risks outweigh the attraction of money--even to the hungriest recruits?

I just don't think wasting taxpayer dollars with a phony bill is the way to go about fixing it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Anyone who supports a draft can go straight to hell, sorry buddy but I'm not going to be a pawn in what is nothing more then a rich mans power and profit scheme at the expense of our lives which preys upon the ignorance of man with lies and misconceptions which lead to nothing more than blind patriotism and nationalism. I own my life buddy not any man and not any government and I will not willingly fight someone else's wars against someone else's enemies, But I promise that when the day comes that they or this government actually believe that they own MY life there will be a war alright and I will be proudly and willingly fighting in it, but I wont be on their side.

In understand this guys position but many people actually think a draft should be instated and this post applies to them.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by C0le]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hey there ATS. I would like to inform people, that the draft is not mandatory. It is completely voluntary. Yup, thats right. The only thing mandatory is showing up at the location where they send you to. On your draft card. That is what selective services card is for, it means you have volunteered to show up if draft card is sent. But from there on out it is completely unnecessary to do anything else. Here I'll post a link you guys should see

The Right To Refuse

Hope it was helpful, I know one thing, the only war I'll fight in is the one to defend my country on the soil of my country.

Love and Peace

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I got a 404 on that link.
All I'll say is that if the boy and/or myself (if they draft women) get drafted, and we are supposed to go to war, you can bet I'll be hiding out with one of you guys.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Rangel's a media hound. Whenever he does not get on enough TV programs he pulls that out of his pocket. He is kind of funny actually. He needs to get a Sit-Com.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
HA!

I can't believe after everything these dumb politicians have done to this country, they now expect it's citizens to comply with a draft?

If people do go along with this draft, it will just show how braindead Americans actually are.

Or if we the people refuse to fight, and put the crooks in their place, than I would see some hope for us.

I for one would not go. They can throw me in jail, torture me , or shoot me, whatever. I am in no way going to help them with their evil power scheme.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Go to educate-yourself.org...

It is completely unnecessary to join anything. All you have to do is
show up on draft day.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by M157yD4wn]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
With the pending gutting of our intelligence in a repeat of the Carter/Clinton years, and with our new President whose already on record for some very odd statements which insulted our military, if I were in, I'd be getting the hell out.

And if the Democrats do this, there will hopefully be a complete sweep of Washington politicians in two and again in four years.

These people in Washington have lost all contact with reality. It's like an insane asylum was transferred to the Senate and the House.

This is nothing.

Nothing compared to some of their other stupidity that will manifest itself over the next two years.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
If everybodies politicians child and grandchild is going....
...well, then maybe I will go, too.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
When the govt. downsized the military in 1974 after Vietnam it went to a backdoor draft system where certain criminal offenders were offered Marine Corps or Army duty in lieue of jailtime. A moron I went to high school with did it, paid someone to break his leg during basic so he could DOR, and was caught so he wound up doing harder time in the brig.
This is going to a be neccessity anyway, the military is having a surge in recruiter suicides. They also are trying illegal tactics like getting kids to sign for recruitment info and then lying to them that they signed up for service and have to show up for basic training. That happened not too long ago with an 18-year-old cousin and he barely backed out of it. There is no way we can fight the current warfronts, let alone expand and that is what is happening. I just missed registering before 911 due to age limits and I sure am glad i didn't do it.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Maybe I should delay getting my knee surgery as I could use that as an excuse not to be drafted. Not too mention I've already had surgery on my right knee when I tore all my ligaments and cartilage back in highschool from Football.

Weren't We promised there would never be a Draft again ?

What good is a promise then?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
Weren't We promised there would never be a Draft again ?

What good is a promise then?

To my knowledge, such a rainbopw has only appeared in the sky in relation to God's vow never to flood the whole Earth again. In other words, do you have a source for that comment you can share with the rest of us?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It should be very interesting to see the population revolt. The youth in this day and age will not comply with the draft.

new topics

top topics

join