It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists baffled as mysterious columns of coloured light appear in the night skies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Could the different colours be accounted for by being generated by different coloured lights?

Have I misunderstood or is the mystery that they have formed specific patterns that cannot be accounted for by standard atmospheric modeling?

Is it possible that particulate matter in the air is having some effect? If so, what?

Someone should U2U Oz Weatherman for his take on this.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Ok, guys its not the aurora....its nothing like it

Its merely a halo effect near the surface, caused by ice crystals refracting light from the city. There are many different types of halos, but in my opinion its something similar to a sun pillar, only without the sun as a light source

www.atoptics.co.uk...

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Ok, guys its not the aurora....its nothing like it

Its merely a halo effect near the surface, caused by ice crystals refracting light from the city. There are many different types of halos, but in my opinion its something similar to a sun pillar, only without the sun as a light source

www.atoptics.co.uk...

www.atoptics.co.uk...

They must have pretty crappy scientists then, if they are baffled.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

I think the most baffling thing about these light pillars is the curved edge at the top, known as the tangent arc. Tangent arcs are not usually seen with sun pillars, but I supposed its possible given that the light source is not in motion as the sun would be.

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
That light source is pretty darn bright and focused. It lights up the sky AND a track of the wooded land in front of the picture.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
One would think if this is so mundane, why isn't there a history or record of it?

Why the bizarre reaction? Reminds me of rocks rolling into the wind.

Nothing to see here, move along.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

particulate matter for project blue beam to project upon, if this is a naturally occuring phenomena then why is it impossible to find images online of anything similar?..unless of course you you tube ufos seen in iraq where some of the nightscopes have taken pics of huge columns of light pretty much the same as these..like i said, the soldiers who have submitted the images have called them ufos. something haarp/bluebeam related im sure....)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dreb13

Originally posted by dreb13

I remember seeing a thread a while back showing the same kind of lights in the skies over Iraq. I wonder if its the same case as that.

EXACTLY.

Strange Lights over Iraq filmed by Soldiers

Very interesting!

EDIT:

Here is the youtube version:

I'm sure it's natural. But how interesting that these should be experienced in two very different latitudes.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by loam]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Looking at the main image, the sources of the 'mysterious lights' are clearly on the ground directly beneath it. It's most noticeable beneath the center light. Checking the images on the link bears this out. It's a cold night and frosty. The spotlights of various venues are shining up into the night sky. Due to the building mist the light is refracted and defined.

I didn't know that Sigulda in Latvia is the only place on this planet that uses urban illumination and where the temperature drops bellow zero . . .

How come that the effect causes such stir? Thousands of applicable city dwellers should be familiar with similar effects. Where are the other photos from Calgary, Alberta to mention one?

Long live Science, Defractrion, Candela, Dark Matter, and Formulas!
Say amen, Gracie.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Oh! I knew it! Damn you CERN! Those pesky CERN scientists never shut down their project for "repairs". They simply used the "repair story" to provide a cover up for their "experiments" which they knew were attracting too much attention.

Snippet from article...

But a handful of scientists believe that the experiment could create a shower of unstable black holes that could ‘eat’ the planet from within, and they are launching last-ditch efforts to halt it in the courts. One of them, Professor Otto Rossler, a retired German chemist, said he feared the experiment may create a devastating quasar – a mass of energy fuelled by black holes – inside the Earth. ‘Nothing will happen for at least four years,’ he said. ‘Then someone will spot a light ray coming out of the Indian Ocean during the night and no one will be able to explain it. ‘A few weeks later, we will see a similar beam of particles coming out of the soil on the other side of the planet. Then we will know there is a little quasar inside the planet.’ Prof Rossler said that as the spinning-top-like quasar devoured the world from within, the two jets emanating from it would grow and catastrophes such as earthquakes and tsunamis would occur at the points they emerged from the Earth. ‘The weather will change completely, wiping out life, and very soon the whole planet will be eaten in a magnificent scenario – if you could watch it from the moon. A Biblical Armageddon. Even cloud and fire will form, as it says in the Bible.’

Someone will spot a light ray coming out of .... LATVIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Maxmars

I think the most baffling thing about these light pillars is the curved edge at the top, known as the tangent arc. Tangent arcs are not usually seen with sun pillars, but I supposed its possible given that the light source is not in motion as the sun would be.

www.atoptics.co.uk...

followed your links and i have to say that the pictures posted by OP are nothing like sun pillars.. i am also curious about your take on the sun's motion.. which motion would that be.. perhaps you mean the appeared lateral motion across the sky or maybe you mean it's actual rotational motion in the sky??

i do find this subject of ice crystals interesting but i think we should refrain from using this explanation as the catch phrase to explain just about everything; else we will end up with another global warming type fiasco or the dreaded chemtrail fiasco; which goes around and around like a dog chasing it's tail.. always just in reach but we never quite get to it..

peace

daz__

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Here is my take on the phenomena..

What if there were a few of those new breed of graffiti artists in a couple of locations in the town and they were aiming their lasers up into the eh hem the ice crystals.. could this produce the effect we are seeing here??

peace

daz__

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by daz__
[followed your links and i have to say that the pictures posted by OP are nothing like sun pillars..

Thats because they are not sun pillars. I was merely recognising a similarity between the two

i am also curious about your take on the sun's motion.. which motion would that be.. perhaps you mean the appeared lateral motion across the sky or maybe you mean it's actual rotational motion in the sky??

lateral motion

i do find this subject of ice crystals interesting but i think we should refrain from using this explanation as the catch phrase to explain just about everything; else we will end up with another global warming type fiasco or the dreaded chemtrail fiasco; which goes around and around like a dog chasing it's tail.. always just in reach but we never quite get to it..

But is ice crystals. Its clearly obvious. It happens in Antarctica on a frequent basis, I have friends in the same job as me down there. The weird thing about it is the tangent arc at the top of the pillar. Thats why scientists are baffled.

In my opinion it has something to do with the varying angle of ice crystals.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I don't know what it is exactly, but I have some doubt for the "it is ice refraction" explanation. I've seen a lot of ice, sleet, and hail in my lifetime but never saw anything like that. Yet I do think it does have a mundane explanation, like the amazing "sun dogs" phenomenon.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Have you heard the sounds of these solar flares coming into contact with our Earth's magnetism? It is a very thought provoking sight/sound experience here! Just look at this to see what I mean....

[edit on 19-3-2009 by dawnslight]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
i am sure i have seen a video somewhere also stating "lights" in the sky not as colorfull as these, if i remeber correctly it had something to do with H.A.A.R.P light where seen in the days before an event like earthquake flood or something would happen in that area.

not excactly sure..

someone must know what i mean.

did anything "happen " later on in that area??

but one thing is weird that the scientist say euhhh...
not even a BS story?... makes them a suspect of something.....

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Scientists baffled as mysterious columns of coloured light appear in the night skies

www.dailymail.co.uk

These stunning images show mysterious columns of light streaming into the sky above the town of Sigulda in Latvia at the end of last month.

Taken by designer Aigar Truhins with a standard digital camera, the photographs have prompted excited online discussions among amateur astronomists all over the internet.

'My son exclaimed, 'The aliens are coming!'' Truhins was quoted as saying.

The lights were said to be a reflection caused by the light from streetlamps on the ground hitting ice crystals suspended in the cold air
(visit the link for the full news article)

yep..they are all above street lamps...cool though

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnslight

so have you seen these photo's of our magnetic field if i see that sunburst and look at these www.abovetopsecret.com...

i would think we are in serious danger ??

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Scientists are guessing that it's ice crystals but they are not sure. You can tell from some of the other pictures that the light is caused from the street lights below but it's still a cool phenomenon.

I remember seeing a thread a while back showing the same kind of lights in the skies over Iraq. I wonder if its the same case as that.

[

Yes, the Iraqi light situation was filmed by some of our (U.S.) Service Personnel stationed over there. I was actually in direct contact with the individual who filmed it, and believe that I arrived at the conclusion that it had to do with Atmospheric Temperature Inversion Layers.

I will produce the entire answer for you later today, as I need to delve into my files in order to find it.

Yes btw, it does in both cases directly correlate to Ground Lights.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join