It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists baffled as mysterious columns of coloured light appear in the night skies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Scientists baffled as mysterious columns of coloured light appear in the night skies

www.dailymail.co.uk

These stunning images show mysterious columns of light streaming into the sky above the town of Sigulda in Latvia at the end of last month.

Taken by designer Aigar Truhins with a standard digital camera, the photographs have prompted excited online discussions among amateur astronomists all over the internet.

'My son exclaimed, 'The aliens are coming!'' Truhins was quoted as saying.

The lights were said to be a reflection caused by the light from streetlamps on the ground hitting ice crystals suspended in the cold air
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Scientists are guessing that it's ice crystals but they are not sure. You can tell from some of the other pictures that the light is caused from the street lights below but it's still a cool phenomenon.

I remember seeing a thread a while back showing the same kind of lights in the skies over Iraq. I wonder if its the same case as that.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-1-2009 by dreb13]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
great photo's! But I think the explanation is already in the article: Ice crystals reflecting the light of things below them. Beautifull pics none the less.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cappuccino

The pics are cool but the scientist are guessing at what causes it.

These pillars are mysterious. They have unexplained curved tops and even curved arcs coming from their base. 'Arcs in rare displays like these could be from column crystals to give parts of tangent arcs, others could be the enigmatic Moilanan arc or even the recently discovered reflected Parry arc. 'We do not know – so take more photos on cold nights!'

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It is an aurora borealis. "Northern Lights"

Sure, not common outside of the Northern regions, but not impossible either.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
It is an aurora borealis. "Northern Lights"

Sure, not common outside of the Northern regions, but not impossible either.

That is definitely not Aurora. The sun was not active at all late last month.

I think the reason it baffles scientists is because if it is simply ice crystals reflecting lights below then why doesn't this happen everyday in cold places. I think may be ice crystals, light refraction and another yet unexplained phenomenon such as electromagnetism and it's relationship to light.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Ice crystals forming from the steam vapors or warmer waters from the river below I would imagine. The night sky is apparently still and colder? Interesting anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
this is crazy, it's clearly aliens reincarnating jesus!

either that or its another cool optic freak which only happens in very rare cases, maybe the ice needs the right size and shape to act as a massive fiberoptic style pillar?

it impresses me just how awesome random freak conditions can make things look, i think a lot of strange things like this get reported as UFO's -people see strange lights and assume because its weird it cant be natural when in reality nature does loads of weird and awesome looking things all the time.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Why are you under the impression that the only cause of Northern Lights is the sun? Specifically, it is an electromagnetic reaction.

It has been theorized that aurora borealis effects can occur when the polar switch happens for example.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Surely it's the Norns announcing Thor's return?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Couldn't it be a 'faux' aurora caused by the current fluctuation in the earth magnetic bubble? I read that our magnetic field is behaving quite erratically recently.

I suppose it could be ice crystals but wouldn't this be a bit more of a frequent phenomenon; I mean we have ice crystal weather all over the place quite frequently.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dreb13

Woah, that tears it. See you folks in the mountains of Nepal!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

And a precursor to Ragnarok?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It's not April 1st? The Daily Mail loves posting fluff stories and are happy to back up their stories with the generic term 'scientists.' I grew up reading it (parents). In between stories of how England is overrun with immigrants, foreigners, child molesters and the unemployed; they love filling a page with a fluff piece.

Looking at the main image, the sources of the 'mysterious lights' are clearly on the ground directly beneath it. It's most noticeable beneath the center light. Checking the images on the link bears this out. It's a cold night and frosty. The spotlights of various venues are shining up into the night sky. Due to the building mist the light is refracted and defined.

They are beautiful postcard images but I don't see any bizarre principle at work. It's like shining a flashlight into a misty or foggy sky when you go camping. Beautiful nevertheless...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer Woah, that tears it. See you folks in the mountains of Nepal!

Make me laugh...been reading dArk knight too much...
Seriously, though, I was over 50 before I saw my first serious sun dogs, so I figure lots is possible. Talk about stuff to make you say "Well, hell!"

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Why are you under the impression that the only cause of Northern Lights is the sun? Specifically, it is an electromagnetic reaction.

It has been theorized that aurora borealis effects can occur when the polar switch happens for example.

Have you ever personally seen the northern lights? Seen pictures?? It looks nothing like this.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I just recently posted this phenom without seeing this thread. I to agree this is unlike any Aurora I've ever seen and I've seen alot living at 55 degrees north latitude. Nor do I think these are street lights. If these were seen in Vegas or something I'd be more inclined to think man made but Latvia? Cmon not man made. Ice particles reflecting light? Not convinced either. New phenomon seen as a result of our magnetosphere acting weird as of late. Likely.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by The Undertaker]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle

Have you ever personally seen the northern lights? Seen pictures?? It looks nothing like this.

yes, I've seen Northern Lights. How about you? If you've only seen them from inside a city, you probably haven't seen what they can actually look like.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Must be the Saviour that all the mind control victims have been waiting for only this time he's chosen a different colored light to his original white one.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by bignick]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The two different collumns apparently the same height are interesting. Nitrogen and Oxygen are displayed in the aurora as different colors and they yellow and green being O2 and red/violet/blue being N2. They do occur at the same heights to a degree. Red usually occuring at a height of 190miles and the green and whitish occuring at between 60 and 125 miles. They seem to be occupying the same column and height of the ionosphere. Very cool pics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join