It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover "Universe is Giant 3D Hologram"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourForever
This has nothing to do with holograms or things being unreal.

Human understanding of the scientific discovery is the flawed factor.

Well would you be kind enough to enlighten us "YourForever"?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
If it wasnt for them trying to renormalize matter they would relaize that it get infinitly small....and there is no hologram...

The only reason they have decided its a hologram is because they still use a mathmatical function and uderstanding that removes the infinite density they found in the vaccum.

Very good addition to the thread! Personally I cant help but feel that when physics gets as hypothetical as this it loses touch with where it started. The theory of a holographic existance is interesting, and ticks off a few more of the boxes for defining reality, but it doesnt explain everything, it merely goes on to clear up a few questions.. potentially.

I tried to skim through the source material, but found it much like swimming through humus. Am i right in saying this theory suggests our reality as we experience it is a 3d depiction of information from a 2dsource unknown to us, and so suggests another plane of existance outside the one we currently know?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
I thought holograms were see-through projections of light?

If all of this is just a hologram then shouldn't I easily be able to punch my arm through a "solid" wall? But gee, what do you know, I can't. Seems pretty rock solid to me.

Anything is possible, and it's a nice theory, but I doubt it's true for this physical Universe.

When scientists say the universe is a hologram, they don't necessarily mean a three dimensional projection of light. They mean the universe has holographic properties. For example, Karl Pribram discovered that when you removed large brain areas from a mouse, their memories would not be impaired. There did not seem to be a one-to-one correspondence between brain sites and particular memories. This lead him to the conclusion that the brain behaves very much like a hologram. What happens when you cut a hologram in half? You get two identical whole pictures without any pieces missing.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hi to all. What interest me most was "the 3D information about a precursor star can be completely encoded in the 2D horizon of the subsequent black hole". The way i think of it is if you were to beam a particle or object through holograhic image the conditions has to be right or same or if not then the object will have to be in another form of energy. so that means i could be beamed by anyone in another part of the universe or the world. So beam me up babe im ready to go. hehehe

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Scientists with equipment to study gravitational waves have stumbled upon something far more strange...
reply to post by super70

That is some pretty cool mental gymnastics trying to imagine the holographic universe concept but we don't have to reinvent the universe.

For many months, the GEO600 team-members had been scratching their heads over inexplicable noise that is plaguing their giant detector. Then, out of the blue, a researcher approached them with an explanation. In fact, he had even predicted the noise before he knew they were detecting it

Before the GEO600 was built I assumed there would be "noise" also. I thought if the universe is teaming with life, intelligent life and much of it even more advanced than we are then they would have a method of travel between the stars. That method of travel would most likely involve the use of gravity waves to open and close artificial "worm holes" to shorten the vast distances between destinations.

Opening and closing worm holes would probably create aberrant gravity waves detectable by sensitive gravity instruments. All we needed to do was build the instruments and we would detect all sorts of noise from gravity wave usage.

So the source of the noise may not be so exotic after all. It may just be street noise from the neighbor's star travel!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

If it wasnt for them trying to renormalize matter they would relaize that it get infinitly small....and there is no hologram...

The only reason they have decided its a hologram is because they still use a mathmatical function and uderstanding that removes the infinite density they found in the vaccum.

Yep, good point. I see someone has been studying Nassim Haramein as well

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Remember people, science is not absolute. It is merely a guess based on certain known factors.

Just looking at pictures of our collection of Galaxies, I believe we know more than 100 years ago however, this knowledge is far from complete.

The other thing that begs questioning is how come the Bible writers understood things modern science is just figuring out about now? Things that were scoffed at by authorities and scientists, 50 years ago?

This is far from being understood by many, but I am sure is gospel to others.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GeeGee

Or the brain behaves much like a harddrive that hasnt been defraged in a few years of absorbing extremely large and complex amounts of information.

sigh.... holograms..
this new age stuff is sad.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
OK- so I read the entire article and this thread up to this point. I have started drooling and my vision is blurry. I think it is safe to say that I popped a fuse somewhere in the middle of this mind blowing discovery. What sent me over the top though was me looking at my TV which is in 2D and wondering how it was sent from a 2D source on the other side of the universe to here in 3D only to be shown again to me in 2D. I will be going now.......

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

reply to post by GeeGee

Or the brain behaves much like a harddrive that hasnt been defraged in a few years of absorbing extremely large and complex amounts of information.

sigh.... holograms..
this new age stuff is sad.

I don't know too much about harddrives, you will have to explain that one to me.

However I'll tell you that the brain does not work like a computer. Computers do not have the ability to learn, only do what is programmed. The brain is a learning machine. Ironically though, computers can do things that humans consider hard, but they can't do what we consider to be a piece of cake.

I don't understand your last comment. This news is coming from a scientific source.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GeeGee

When a computer writes information to a hard drive often it is placed ranodomly and almost without reason across your hard drive. If this was true for the brain then it would epxlain the ability to remeber things even when portions of memory are removed.

Your precious conciousness may soon be replicated electronically. Do NOT hold your breath.

Just look up "crossing the event horizon" It has nothing to do with brains... thats all me.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I wonder if discovering that we are a type of hologram is the end of the experiment - and it is then 'switched off' by some youngster in his bedroom.

[edit on 15/1/09 by Myrdyn]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by win 52

The other thing that begs questioning is how come the Bible writers understood things modern science is just figuring out about now? Things that were scoffed at by authorities and scientists, 50 years ago?

I believe what the bible writers knew came from their 'angels' and 'gods.'
These intelligent beings, from a different dimension, attempted to enlighten the ancients on the concious universe and its laws. Simple, simple, simple.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

reply to post by GeeGee

When a computer writes information to a hard drive often it is placed ranodomly and almost without reason across your hard drive. If this was true for the brain then it would epxlain the ability to remeber things even when portions of memory are removed.

Your precious conciousness may soon be replicated electronically. Do NOT hold your breath.

Just look up "crossing the event horizon" It has nothing to do with brains... thats all me.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Wertdagf]

I highly doubt anyone is going to replicate consciousness anytime soon since scientists hardly have a consensus on what it is. There are scientists out there that don't even believe consciousness exists. Honestly I have no idea why you are bringing consciousness into this since I'm talking about memory.

Have you ever read Karl Pribram's work? His work is not new age and I don't know where you got this information from. In fact, his holonomic brain model was developed in collaboration with physicist David Bohm. They theorized that memory wasn't stored in cells, but rather in wave interference patterns.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by win 52

How does the bible exactly know more than we know or know stuff we are only just finding out?

please provide information.

to all the religio's; please this is not indication of some god - it is just an idea that may answer some blanks in quantum physics and string theory.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GeeGee

I think it would be very hard to produce effective interferiance patterns with half your symetry removed... even if a portion of the whole was removed or altered you would no longer be able to produce uniform waves.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This brings all into perspective news from freeinternetpress.com
Teleportation, Time Travel, And Aliens - A Vision Of Tomorrow Today
2008-04-02 02:54:24 (4 hours ago)
Posted By: Intellpuke
(Read 25 times || 0 comments) Submit to Digg

Even the most outlandish science fiction could become fact, says City University of New York Professor and noted physicist Michio Kaku.

Einstein gave hope to scientists chasing the most outlandish theories when he famously declared: "If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it."
He then proved the existence of black holes and the notion that time passes more slowly the faster you travel.
Now one of the world's most distinguished physicists has scrutinized some of science fiction's other concepts, such as teleportation and forcefields, and is convinced that they too can become reality.
Professor Michio Kaku, of City University in New York, has ruled out time travel for at least a few millennia, but believes invisibility cloaks and telepathy could be possible this century.
(story continues below)

Make a donation today to remove the advertisments!

"So many times predictions are made that certain things are impossible only to find them becoming possible a decade or a few decades later," he said. In his new book, "The Physics of the Impossible", published in the U.K. Wednesday, Kaku rates seemingly impossible phenomena according to how likely they are to happen.
Teleportation
When Gene Roddenberry was planning the early episodes of the cult sci-fi series Star Trek Paramount studios, who financed the project, said the special effects necessary to recreate ships taking off and landing were too expensive. Roddenberry needed another way to get his characters down onto the surface of the uncharted worlds they were visiting. "He said, 'we'll just beam them onto the planet and save a ton of money'," said Kaku.
That money-saving decision did much to cement teleportation as the epitome of the sci-fi way to get around, but teleportation is actually already being done by physicists. It relies on a deeply strange phenomenon called quantum entanglement, which physicists have already used to "teleport" a photon 89 miles between La Palma and Tenerife in the Canary Island group. But Kaku concedes that Captain Kirk will have to wait a couple of centuries. "You are not actually moving the photons from one place to another because you are destroying the original. What materializes at the other end is your twin which has all the information of the previous object."
Time Travel
The Cambridge physicist Professor Stephen Hawking spent much of his career attempting to prove that time travel is impossible. If it were possible, he reasoned, why have we not been visited by voyagers from the future? But he was forced to conclude that there is actually nothing in the laws of physics that prevents moving in time.
"He changed his mind about 10 years ago," said Kaku, "There was no way to ban time travel from happening. So now he says that time travel is possible, but not practical."
The way it might work would be to take a trip through a worm hole connecting one point in space and time with another. The laws of physics suggest that the intense gravity of a black hole is enough to rip the fabric of space and time, making a worm hole possible.
"What we physicists want to do is create our own wormhole so that if you walk through the looking glass you may go backwards in time," said Kaku. Stabilizing a black hole would require large amounts of an exotic form of energy called negative energy, thought to be impossible. "But we can now make it in the laboratory," said Kaku.
Invisibility
One reason why no one has met any time travelers from the future might be, Kaku suggested, because they are able to make themselves invisible. "Invisibility a la Harry Potter's cloak is no longer out of the question," he said. He rates it as the sci-fi technology that is likely to happen soonest. Perhaps the most promising new development is the creation of an exotic new substance called a metamaterial. By eliminating reflections and shadows, it renders an object invisible.
Alien Contact
Scientists currently have the best chance in history of making contact with aliens. Although humanity has been combing the skies for signs of life for decades, the search so far has been haphazard. Astronomers have detected around 300 planets in other solar systems, but these are generally large Jupiter-like planets which do not look like a good bet for harboring life.
Satellites will greatly enhance scientists' ability to detect Earth-like planets. "We've only scanned about a thousand stars and that's nothing. We haven't even scanned the stars in our neighborhood," said Kaku, "We hope to analyze a thousand times more data than was collected in all the sweeps of the past. And that's why we are much more optimistic that we will make contact with alien life." He thinks contact with an alien civilization could happen within decades.
Precognition
Being able to predict the future is very difficult to reconcile with the known laws of physics. "It would set off a major shake-up in the very foundations of modern physics if precognition was ever proved in reproducible experiments," said Kaku.
The impossible takes longer: Michio Kaku's ratings:
Type 1 impossibilities
Impossible today, but do not violate the known laws of physics. Might be possible this century or the next: force fields, invisibility, phasers and death stars, teleportation, telepathy, psychokinesis, robots, UFOs and aliens, starships, antimatter and anti-universes.
Type 2 impossibilities
Technologies that sit at the edge of our understanding of the physical world. May be realized millenia or millions of years in the future: faster-than-light travel, time travel, parallel universes.
Type 3 impossibilties
Technologies that violate the known laws of physics. If they turn out to be possible, they would represent a fundamental shift in our understanding of physics: perpetual motion machines, precognition.
Intellpuke: You can read this article by Guardian science correspondent James Randerson, reporting from Manchester, England, in context here: www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/apr/02/sciencenews.physicalsciences

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I've been saying for a long time - everything is a creation of thought - we are like an advanced sophisticated video game.

Nothing exists but energy - energy evolved into an intelligent consciousness - this is the Creator.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
In layman's terms, picture this.

The universe is actually a two dimensional shell, which projects data and information like your eye projects information to your brain. While your eye doesn't understand at all the shapes and colors it sees, the brain translates these bits of information into depth, distance, movement, texture, etc.

While this would mean that we are ultimately 2-dimensional beings on, or part of this shell, we have the unique ability to be "aware" within the projected field of information.

Someone should consider that maybe this is, in fact, what the "all seeing eye" really is all about.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You know something about this just came to my attention, if their really is indeed either another "self" that is out there and your aware of your own self. What would happen when both 'selves' become aware (if that is indeed one way one can look at it)

Or perhaps, what if we could somehow tap into that part that is making all of these holographic illusions dance before us and somehow 'shift' them in a way. I guess I'm a little burned out from classes today which is causing me to have a hard time forming coherent sentences and for that I apologize, just trying to throw out everything that is going through my mind.

Anyway last thing, if this body is merely nothing more than a 'machine' of sorts, wouldn't their be a way to in theory replace, shift, or change it? I mean if you aren't the ones pulling the strings but have the power to move the strings one should be able to do something other than make the puppet walk and talk.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join