It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover "Universe is Giant 3D Hologram"

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
So this means that John Lear was right all along and the planes that appeared to fly into the towers were really holograms!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dubiousone

stop
being
petty
4th line

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GeeGee

I didn't mean to appear to sound condescending, and my apologies if I did.

There are no current systems which are built from an architectural level to learn intrinsically. Such systems have been theorized for awhile now, and some believe that the enabling factors for such a computer are now in place both on the hardware and software side. Indeed, the creation of just such a machine is the goal of the DARPA funded SyNAPSE project.

Science Daily: Building a machine that can learn from experience.
Project SyNAPSE homepage

It is to be a multifaceted attempt to create a computer that operates similar to a mammalian brain by tackling traditional design hurdles from hardware architecture, software, and environmental factors. Researchers come from a pool of talented individuals from Universities such as Columbia and Stanford, as well as engineers from IBM.

In the mean time, we do still have software suites for computers that can learn from past experience and make reasoned predictions based on that accumulated data - but only on a very primitive level and only in software. Some of these are used by engineers to let evolutionary designed robots manage and utilize their own emergent locomotion patterns, for example.

Insofar as brain scanning, I don't recall what the latest resolution they have is. However, we have a high enough resolution to scan whole regions of the brain and draw up simple block diagrams on how they function and interact. For example, I believe we've already accurately modeled portions of the Neo-Cortex. Further, claiming that they have a long way to go based on relatively little progress is a bit presumptuous I think. The human Genome project was scheduled to be a 15 year project, and 7 years into the project they had only completed roughly 1% of the Genome. However, as new and more powerful technology came out it sped the process incredibly. The vast majority of the work happened in the last few years merely because of the greater horsepower provided by Moore's Law. Indeed, despite a very disparaging start, the project finished ahead of schedule.

So just because there's still a long way to go, I wouldn't necessarily expect it to take a very long time.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PortableModel
I read the article and emailed Karsten Danzmann. I don't know why, but I felt compelled.

I realize that my intelligence isn't comparable to the great minds of cosmology, but from a troubleshooting standpoint I felt like I had to get this off my chest. Many times, when coding I often jump to conclusions or look for a complex solution to a problem, often ignorant to the simple answer staring me in the face. So I sent the following email:

I just read an article in New Scientist about the GEO600. It is truly fascinating. One thing struck me, that I'm sure has been discussed before, but I just had to say it. Your team is working to isolate and 'tune' parts of the GEO600 to eliminate as much noise as possible. Once you've tuned the instrument as much as humanely possible, but are still experiencing noise (hooray for holograms) couldn't you emit the same noise, at the same frequency and create destructive interference? This would then bypass that 'layer' of noise allowing you and your team to listen for the gravitational waves you originally set out to find? I just figure, two discoveries are better than one. I know it's a silly, simplistic idea, but I had to say it. Thanks for your time,

Doubt I'll get a response, but who knows!

I almost fell out of my chair on this one.
I assume (hope) you are trying to be funny?

I wonder how many of these he gets per day?
Lol

Thank you sir, for the laugh.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by mikesingh

I'm an agnostic Mike when it comes to String Theory and the like, as many who have read my profile will know. I'm not sure if you were being serious about the 'Big Bang' but yes, I believe that too is merely theory at this point in our understanding.

Super Symmetry is a seductive theory but again, it's just another guess with an impressive name to give it more 'gravity' than it really has (pardon the pun).

IRM

I agree because its true. In fact all of physics is just a collection of theories no mater how much empirical data there is supporting it, we haven't covered all the angles and my belief is we never will. The only difference between mainstream theories and say the theories proposed on this forum are that they are publicized much more in all forms of media until they become branded in our society as a norm forming the current paradigm of physical sciences, but by no means are they or will they ever be absolute and to think that way is not scientific at all. This is especially true for mainstream theories such as String Theory which has no way of being tested and hasn't predicted anything real in over 40 years of it's existence but yet it's funded and accepted by many. Why?!. For all intents and purposes, String Theories can't even be considered a science theory at all. It's all a bad imaginary representation of physics with no merit except in the field of mathematics, but physics is not a representation of math, math is a representation of physics. I think we've lost that underlining understanding of physics and math relationship and in which direction it flows. Math can be highly imaginary as it pertains to it context. For example, johnny has 3 pink flying elephants. The math is correct there are 3 but pink flying elephants... WTF??! This is where string theory has gone. If you can't test it it's not a science theory and you can't test string theory and hasn't been tested for over 40 years by mainstream science why???! Because it was popularized by proponents in mainstream science while Joe Blow on this site gets ostracized for his wacky untestable theories on ... God! It's all relative and very subjective derived by our social programming to accept certain authorities and what they say as absolute because they say they're the authority to begin with. Another wonderfully untestable theory is the Big Bang. Prove to me conclusively it happened. The Big Bang is absolute speculation based on many many assumptions I don't even want to get started. The rulers of this world know that order and control are subject to authorities placed on its people by people who don't know what they're doing half the time. For example, Barrack Obama is a great man but he's going to get the "authorities" on economic information, be required to trust they know anything at all, inform himself then bloody wing it. Obama has the power here, but based on the information supplied by the "authorities". If we all look into the structure and how many of these people achieved any form of authority it would surprise all of you. I remember back in University a student passing all his classes yet he never studied. Apparently his dad donated millions to the school. How about another case I'm personally aware of where student applicants were being rejected not based on credentials but their last name...that one completely revolted me. Basically people in authority are just as likely not to know what they're talking about as much as Joe Blow on this site. And please don't ever confuse complexity for smarts and intelligent. Any one of us can make things complex. For example, you can take the shortest path from A to B or you can take Interstate 90 through Albany to Boston back up I87 to Kingston to point B. Big words, complex equations and concepts can be a huge farce so don't get pl

[edit on 16-1-2009 by MainframeII]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I used to smoke weed when I was a kid, so I feel a bit qualified to throw out some "stoner philosophy".

So... what if all we are is just some random bits of data in a computer simulation ran by ourselves on a higher plane in an attempt to validate theories on the nature of the universe. We too will eventually create simulations to model our understanding of this simulated universe that will be the origins of some other plane of reality for those living in the simulation we create. It goes on forever like this in one large feedback loop. It's like turning a camera into the mirror man, you can see forever.

This baseless speculation stuff is fun!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
reply to post by dubiousone

stop
being
petty
4th line

Could you explain to me how MATHS would apply to this situation?
Thanks

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lasheic
I used to smoke weed when I was a kid, so I feel a bit qualified to throw out some "stoner philosophy".

So... what if all we are is just some random bits of data in a computer simulation ran by ourselves on a higher plane in an attempt to validate theories on the nature of the universe. We too will eventually create simulations to model our understanding of this simulated universe that will be the origins of some other plane of reality for those living in the simulation we create. It goes on forever like this in one large feedback loop. It's like turning a camera into the mirror man, you can see forever.

This baseless speculation stuff is fun!

I like the way you think and that's actually the best theory I've read in quite sometime.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MainframeII

That was meant to be sarcastic, actually.

But something to really blow your mind - what that setup were all just a stand alone complex? Copies creating copies without an original? A gigantic cosmic meme that stretches forever in either direction of the planes of reality - poofed into existence by happenstance, perhaps as a consequence of an emergent phenomena completely unrelated to us or our reality in some other parallel (rather than sequential) reality plane?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Wow! - Just Wow!

I'm not talking about the the theory - which is indeed old news - but I'm refering to how most people on Earth have some ideal of what they want the universe to be and they try to project and rationalize that reality on anything they possibly can!

Self Delusion really is the default state of Human kind.

All the latest MRI discoveries point to this inevitable tendency of people to rationalize things even in the face of contrary evidence - in Politics, Social Interactions, and Spirituality - as most people have an extremely low tolerance for uncertainty - and the brain rewards even stubborn irrational world views with large Dopamine drops - but this thread really shows that mentality in action across a diverse set of individuals!

Now this latest evidence is intriguing - and I tend to find it very logical - but really - it's like other posters have said - it's no differnet than the fact that you "know" you are 99% empty space - but your perception is that you are completely solid.

For all practical purposes knowing the truth - doesn't change the Quantum and Newtonian reality of your day to day interactions in the Universe - you can no more "bend the spoon" now then before you knew the truth.

In the same way "knowing" that we are Holographic in 2 dimensions is the equivilent mathematical reality to if we are non-holographic in three dimensions.

The real importance of this - if reproduced repeatedly by experiment - is that it will get us closer to a unified theory of physics - and allow us new and greater ways to manipulate our environment - which is really the hallmark of a sentient species.

Thus - like our understanding of atoms and electrons allow us to now create metamaterials that have negative refraction (something not "found" in nature) - proving a Holographic Universe will simply give us greater understanding of ways to manipulate energy and matter - for our benefit - in our localized environments.

Although I do indeed believe that God is, and created, the Universe - there really is no need to try to place some spiritual significance to a Holographic Universe - anymore than to a Universe where atoms make up molecules, and where Stars (through well understood nuclear processes) make the diversity of atoms we see and use daily.

Science is not about rationalizing pre-existing notions, preferences, or fantasies, but rather the Noble pursuit of the evidence - and the creation of the best models and explantions to account for this evidence.

The more one understands the scientific process - and it's powerful potential - the less one feels the need to make up magical and illogical contrivences to explain the natural world.

I know this falls mostly on deaf ears however, but I thank you for this chance to rant!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

Well what is good for the goose, is not always good for the gander. People are different, just as are the different molecules that make up our universe.

To say that we shouldn't try to impart some spiritual meaning to this holographic theory is absurd.

However deep your thinking goes in one direction, there is always an equal that goes in the opposite so to speak.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
well so far so good in this thread

Im having fun!!

having fun proving its hogwosh
but still admiting some aspects are correct..

The only thing it points out to me is it loops and that is nothing close to new.

but each to there own

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I've thought this was the matrix for years, but now I'm going to reform my opinion of the Multiverse being God. I guess we are from outside the system, and the different programs are occurring because of these of those darn outrageous contracts we keep thinking up for ourselves to try and evolve faster, you know the learn through hardship model. I've been renouncing everyones contracts, and my own and affirming that we're all willing to learn through joy, peace, and positive methods from now on.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

Prost! Excellent observation.

However....

Are you really surprised? This sort of thing happens all the time whenever Quantum Physics is brought up. All the Armchair Psycho-Physicists come out of the woodwork and claim their misunderstanding is somehow proof of their truth and enlightenment. An ambitious few will even make two hour long videos to mis-educate the public into thinking that science is scraping discoveries from the outer walls of the spiritual realm.

There's a reason why real physicists working on stuff like this rarely ever come here or take part in these threads. They'd spend so much time either laughing or refuting bogus assumptions that they'd never get any work done!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

One did come on another thread, talking down the views of the 'untrained.'

From my field of training, he was a mess; the untrained were more aware of what he was talking than himself.

Laughing? Are scientists your gods? They haven't even been able to theorize the beginning of creation, and you act like you worship these emotionless, unconscionable people? Good. You're abviously quite out of your league of comprehension.

The LHC is still trying to validate the aether, know that? Didn't think so!

Ever see a steroegram (2D pic with 3D optic-interface)? Man made computers which enable stereograms (not to mention holo generation), and the people here think a Universal Mind Awareness can't generate interacting 'solid feeling' experiences? Call it flesh, etc.. Check out some of the technology generated by your scientists. Get up to speed.

And by the way, there is nothing 'solid' in the universe, or anywhere else. Even your scientists know that (or should; some are really dumb).

Wow, lookit the ant....("should I use a laser or flame-thrower on it?" "Nah, let it live, it isn't harming anything; it's just a creature trying to live."). Now, take a few steps up the scale of evolution. C'Mon.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by SS,Naga]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SS,Naga

true in this case:

Observation:

Unkown

do not know what created us

Hologram theory only says - we are in a loop

It adds nothing more to what we know and understand

let me show you

Symmetry generally conveys two primary meanings. The first is an imprecise sense of harmonious or aesthetically-pleasing proportionality and balance[citation needed]; such that it reflects beauty or perfection. The second meaning is a precise and well-defined concept of balance or "patterned self-similarity" that can be demonstrated or proved according to the rules of a formal system: by geometry, through physics or otherwise. symmetry is a form of mathamatics of wich you can use in a vary of different ways or methods.

Now tell me something this hologram theory is ment to tell me ???

or did i miss something in class ?

Math is my bitch and i am its.. for now

[edit on 16-1-2009 by theresult]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SS,Naga

One did come on another thread, talking down teh views of teh 'untrained.' From my field of training, he was a mess; the untrained were more aware of what he was talking than himself.

Yes, I'm sure you pwn Nobel Laureates on a daily basis. Now, I don't worship scientists (such a silly concept), however I do feel most grateful to them for all of the modern amenities I currently enjoy. You know, abundant food, a heated home, modern medicine, electricity, computers, the internet, etc. This is something that your kind... despite their wonderful and clear insight into the detailed inner workings of our universe... have never QUITE seemed to have gotten off the drawing board. Well, I'm sure one of these day it will produce a useful product - either in this life or the next. I'm sure it will be super awesome and better than anything these "stupid scientists" could manage to come up with.

In the mean time, next time you confer with the "Universal Mind Awareness", you might want to ask for some clarification on the concept of evolution since I get the impression that you seem to still hold onto the faulty social meme of evolution being a sort of "ladder" that can be somehow ascended or descended.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lasheic
reply to post by SS,Naga

One did come on another thread, talking down teh views of teh 'untrained.' From my field of training, he was a mess; the untrained were more aware of what he was talking than himself.

Yes, I'm sure you pwn Nobel Laureates on a daily basis. Now, I don't worship scientists (such a silly concept), however I do feel most grateful to them for all of the modern amenities I currently enjoy. You know, abundant food, a heated home, modern medicine, electricity, computers, the internet, etc. This is something that your kind... despite their wonderful and clear insight into the detailed inner workings of our universe... have never QUITE seemed to have gotten off the drawing board. Well, I'm sure one of these day it will produce a useful product - either in this life or the next. I'm sure it will be super awesome and better than anything these "stupid scientists" could manage to come up with.

In the mean time, next time you confer with the "Universal Mind Awareness", you might want to ask for some clarification on the concept of evolution since I get the impression that you seem to still hold onto the faulty social meme of evolution being a sort of "ladder" that can be somehow ascended or descended.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Lasheic]

sorry if i qouted this wrong!! i like my ats points !!

but neways.. look at what i said naga is pointing it out also "just from another angle"

we dont know what made us... we cant even begin to understand "theory" thats why i dont really deal in theory...

i deal in math and hologram theory = LOOP never ending

Symmetry generally conveys two primary meanings. The first is an imprecise sense of harmonious or aesthetically-pleasing proportionality and balance[citation needed]; such that it reflects beauty or perfection. The second meaning is a precise and well-defined concept of balance or "patterned self-similarity" that can be demonstrated or proved according to the rules of a formal system: by geometry, through physics or otherwise. symmetry is a form of mathamatics of wich you can use in a vary of different ways or methods.

Read it again!!!!

THAT alone is hologram theory..

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
Well this is quite interesting. So if the universe is a hologram, then obviously there is an entity who designed it.

Which leads me to wonder why, if that is the case, they, whoever that might be, did that, whatever it is they did.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join