It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vocabulary

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

But I will never...not EVER start using things like "LAWLZ" in every day speech instead of just laughing. That infuriates me

Simply ignoring those who use it seems to work fine for me...

When they want to speak as an adult, I'll be happy to further entertain the conversation....

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
Is it just me, or has the general public completely given up on having a vocabulary exceeding that of a 9-year-old? N

I love it. I agree with you, but it's the very same in German. I am a self-taught English speaker and I can't stand typonese or the mutilation of a language in general. I thought you might like my blog entry here ...

I am a logophile, bibliophile and anglophile person. I don't write texts, no I compose them. I don't change text, no I emend it. Words should be chosen felicitously to assuage one's never-satisfiable mind, at least for the time being. It can be a painstaking process if you intend to write something in perfection as you know that perfection is only an incentive, but unattainable. On the other hand, perfection is in the eye of the beholder. A gallimaufry of thoughts, a plethora of ideas and panoply of ways - I attempt to manifest everything into words on my never ending journey. As a perfectionist I seek and I gain pleasure in achievements, but words like verbivore or logolept may be too harsh, for I don't have to use words that obfuscate meanings or bamboozle a reader.

Still pleasure I seek. How many have a passion? Logophilia is rewarding in itself, for not everyone has a passion and pleasure is often hard to gain.
Each sentence is each a composition, comparing it with an uncultivated acre; a wold.
But as a non-native English speaker I need to expiscate other websites and collect each word at a time. Cornucopias of words, phrases, sentences are out there, a surfeit of lodes of what every logophile person seeks, wait in excess. To hit such a lode, to reap what gives one pleasure, a reward and before sunset a doubt not to have succeeded; like everything in life.

It is a quest – maybe quixotic, but still a passion. Reading, absorbing texts, the power of thoughts, the magic of words, and a display of logodaedaly, and much more it is for those who appreciate it; for others it is just hullabaloo.
You can be a logophile person, but you don't have to necessarily use all sesquipedalian words in your repertoire to make your text orotund. It is simply awesome when you read literature that does not only contain five hundred words, for literature like the nature can be appreciated in multifarious ways.

Greetings

<< 1   >>

join