It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robbery suspect shot and killed by intended victim

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by monikerTell me, since when did asking for money came to mean threaten life? Even if the asking is done while carrying a gun? Surely responding a simple "no" while carrying a gun would be a more reasonable response than silently emptying a weapon to start with.

I agree with the other poster, that is hilarious. So if a guy holds a gun to your head and says "give me your money" you would NOT assume that he is threatening you with the gun. You would just assume that was pointing the weapon at you for no particular reason.

So yeah, just tell the guy NO. And why would you need to have a gun WHILE you tell the guy no? Afterall you said there is no reason to think he is threatening you life. You believe he was a nice non threatening person who just happened to be pointing a gun while he made a simple request, so it seems to me YOU holding a gun would be way over the top and VERY inappropriate.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Scarecrow
Another thing I'd like to say is that robbers don't ALWAYS need guns. Mere intimidation alone is enough to get some victims to hand over the goodies. All they have to is approach a victim, back em into a corner, and menacingly say something along the lines of "hand it here" and they do just that. I know this may sound far fetched, but it's not at all.

Good old fashioned strong-arm robbery. I might go for a leg shot if a guy was trying to strong-arm me. I'd probably gut shoot him though, it would leave a more lasting impression.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
hilarious!!! someone "asks" for somethng of yours while pointing a gun at you is not a threat.. haha. the gun in your face means the "request" is not a choice. Some people baffle me. where do these people come from? a sheltered upbringing in a gated community with no access to the outside world?

It's funny how a gun can instantly change your perspective on things, make you wish you could rewrite history.

State Rep. Michael DeBose, a southside Cleveland Democrat, discovered this lesson the night of May 1, when he thought he was going to die. That's the night he wished he had that gun vote back.

DeBose, who had just returned from Columbus, where he had spent the day in committee hearings, decided to take a short walk up Holly Hill, the street where he has lived with his wife for the past 27 years.

It was late, but DeBose, 51, was restless. The ordained Baptist minister knew his Lee-Harvard neighborhood was changing, but he wasn't scared. The idle, young men who sometimes hang out on his and adjacent streets didn't threaten him.

He is a big man and, besides, he had run the same streets before he found Jesus -- and a wife. That night, he just needed a walk.

The loud muffler on a car that slowly passed as he was finishing the walk caught his attention, though. When the car stopped directly in front of his house -- three houses from where he stood -- he knew there was going to be a problem.

"There was a tall one and a short one," DeBose said, sipping on a McDonald's milkshake and recounting the experience Friday.

"The tall one reached in his pocket and pulled out a silver gun. And they both started running towards me."

"At first I just backed up, but then I turned around and started running and screaming."

"When I started running, the short boy stopped chasing and went back to the car. But the tall boy with the gun kept following me. I ran to the corner house and started banging on Mrs. Jones' door."

It was at that point that the would-be robbers realized that their prey wasn't worth the trouble. Besides, Cheryl, DeBose's wife, and a daughter had heard his screams and had raced out to investigate. Other porch lights began to flicker on.

The loud muffler sped off, and DeBose started rethinking his gun vote.

DeBose twice voted against a measure to allow Ohioans to carry concealed weapons. It became law in 2004.

DeBose voted his conscience. He feared that CCW permits would lead to a massive influx of new guns in the streets and a jump in gun violence. He feared that Cleveland would become the O.K. Corral, patrolled by legions of freshly minted permit holders.

"I was wrong," he said Friday.

"I'm going to get a permit and so is my wife.

"I've changed my mind. You need a way to protect yourself and your family.

"I don't want to hurt anyone. But I never again want to be in the position where I'm approached by someone with a gun and I don't have one."

DeBose said he knows that a gun doesn't solve Cleveland's violence problem; it's merely a street equalizer.

"There are too many people who are just evil and mean-spirited. They will hurt you for no reason. If more people were packing guns, it might serve as a deterrent.

"But there obviously are far deeper problems that we need to address," he added, as he suddenly seemed to realize he sounded like a gun enthusiast.

They say the definition of a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. DeBose's CCW application will bear some witness to that notion.

gunowners.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Shooting this man six times was not excessive force.

Excessive force would be to take his head as a trophy.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Shooting this man six times was not excessive force.

Excessive force would be to take his head as a trophy.

LOL...good idea! That actually would make a nice trophy.

How to Prepare a Shrunken Head

Step 1 Remove the head with a machete or a steel knife, as close as you can get to the collarbone. If desired, you can then wind a cord through the mouth and neck to allow for easy transport.

Step 2 Make a slit up the rear of the neck and head, carefully removing the skin from the skull. The skull itself should be thrown into the river, as a gift to the Anaconda.

Step 3 Boil the skin in plain water for no more than half an hour: this will reduce the size of the skin by about half. The skin is then dried, often left hanging on a stick thrust into the ground.

Step 4 Turn the skin inside out, and scrape all of the remaining flesh with a good knife. When complete, turn it right-side out and sew together the slits with string or reeds.

Step 5 Insert heated stones into the neck hole, and roll them about inside. This will shrink the head further, to the point that stones and pebbles will no longer fit. At this point, use heated sand, and continue the process for the next hour or so.

Step 6 Repeat the process everyday for about 2 or 3 hours. The lips should also be sewn shut, and the skin rubbed daily with finely powdered charcoal.

Step 7 When complete, hold a series of feasts, and show the completed head to your neighbors.
www.ehow.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
Quick, gun nuts, tell us how it's okay to take human life! Justify away, sharpish!

With all due respect (the common precursor to insult), you are a bleeding heart wimp.

All responsible gun owners are taught not to point the muzzle of your firearm at anything you don't intend to shoot.
If somebody points a firearm at me, I'll assume they intend to shoot me, and will take appropriate action using everything at my disposal to render them completely disabled.
The trick is not to beat your enemy, it's taking away their will to ever attack again. (read "Ender's Game").
In this instance, it's a question of "kill or potentially be killed". The intended victim is completely in the clear on this one, IMO.

Anybody who sees this otherwise is wrong. Period.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I am proud of this sharp witted man who acted fast enough to protect himself and his loved one..........they better NOT try to lay any charges on him, he aught to be given a medal. IMO....

More stories like this floating around the more likely perpetrators will think twice before pulling such crimes. YAY for being armed and ready.

My friend gave both her daughter inlaw's cotton candy pink finish 22's for Christmas.....I saw a picture of the ladies in pink onesie long johns holding the guns. Made me want a pink gun.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I am proud of this sharp witted man who acted fast enough to protect himself and his loved one..........they better NOT try to lay any charges on him, he aught to be given a medal. IMO....

This happened in Georgia. The news portrays these guys as heros. There won't be any charges. I am just suprised the guy has refused interviews. He might be shook up, or not want publicity for some reason or another. Typically they share their story.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's probably a wise thing to not talk about it, except maybe to a psychiatrist. Just because "no charges are expected" doesn't mean there won't be any. You never know when some mindless DA will suddenly decide he needs to make an example of somebody for his career.

I say psychiatrist as an example because even though the man was justified in liquefying that criminal's innards, there's always the possibility of post traumatic stress. Especially since the threat faced was so unexpected.

If any of you are ever forced to take somebody's life to defend your own, there's two things that are very important: Don't make any comments a lawyer hasn't okay'd first, and get some counseling. Even law enforcement plays by those rules after they shoot someone.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
I'd probably gut shoot him though, it would leave a more lasting impression.

Indeed it would.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
It's probably a wise thing to not talk about it, except maybe to a psychiatrist. Just because "no charges are expected" doesn't mean there won't be any.

There won't be any. Weird concept...personal rights...property rights...strong public sentiment.

There will not be any charges. They would not dare.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Let's hope you're right. Lately, the "they wouldn't dare" concept is becoming less and less realistic.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
Quick, gun nuts, tell us how it's okay to take human life! Justify away, sharpish!

I won't even kill an ant who just bit me hard. I'm very pro-life... ...But only to innocents.

Anyone who threatens to take another life deserves to die.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The way I look at it, I have a gun and you have a gun. Somebody is gettin' shot and it aint me

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

This happened in Georgia. The news portrays these guys as heros. There won't be any charges. I am just suprised the guy has refused interviews. He might be shook up, or not want publicity for some reason or another. Typically they share their story.
I imagine he doesn't want to go public out of fear of retaliation from the gunman's family, relatives, or others who might want to make an example out of him to frighten other people, who might be considering defending themselves from like thugs in a similar manner.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

That's getting to be pretty much S.O.P W/alot of departments - shoot until the threat is stopped - i.e.:your assailant phsically drops to the ground - can be argued (in court) that the guy was in fear for his life / GF's life
If the guy has a concealed carry permit, & the investigator rules out foulplay - the guy won't get charged........ the perp's family will most likely sue, especially if their ambulance - chaser finds out the guy has money

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I for one appreciate and applaud this man for keeping this piece of garbage from possibly harming my family. No more worries at least about that one. I have a CWP and hope I never have to use it. Now there is one less chance Ill have to.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

That story sums it all up right there. Great post star for you. Its the everything is OK till it happens to you routine. Thomas Jefferson said it well when he said gun laws take guns from the law abiding people. He is right. your not going to get rid of guns from crooks period.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

JUSTIFY THIS !!!!
Here's the scenario - I have a gun to the head of someone that you
hold very dear in your life( brother ,sister,wife,child etc..) and you also have a gun. I tell you on the count of three that I am going to kill this person, if you can tell me that you would let them die and let me live
then I say to you one of two things. 1) SUCKS!! to be someone you care about !! 2) YOU ARE A FOOL AND A LIAR !!! yet you expect that I or someone else should not be allowed to protect themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join