The Cash-Landrum UFO Incident: Personal Recollection

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I'm not going to repost the entire Cash-Landrum UFO incident in detail here, as it is one of the most well-known and significant close encounters in history. For those who need a refresher on the case:

Cash-Landrum UFO Incident (1980)

HUFFMAN, TEXAS - On the evening of December the 29th 1980, Betty Cash, Vickie Landrum and Colby Landrum... noticed a bright UFO above the tree tops... Colby was the first to spot it and pointed it out to the others. As they drove on it appeared to get larger and larger. As they realized that the object was approaching the road only a short distance ahead they began to get worried but hoped to get by it in time and leave it behind. But before they could do so the object had straddled the road blocking their way.

In a nutshell, the two women and young boy witnessed a massive "diamond-shaped" craft descend and hover just a few meters above the blacktop country road directly in their path, causing them to stop their automobile. One of the women exited the vehicle for a better look, but was forced to retreat by the intense heat of the UFO's sparking and flaming "exhaust." The UFO then ascended and departed.

All three witnesses reported a large formation of Chinook helicopters (as many as 23 choppers) accompanying the bizarre craft.

In the weeks and months that followed, the witnesses repeatedly sought medical treatment for symptoms that were positively identified as resulting from high-energy radiation exposure. In point of fact, the severe "sunburns" that the women received deteriorated into prolonged battles with cancer, which claimed both of their lives years later. Only the boy, Colby Landrum, survives to this day.

I was reminded of this incident just this evening while viewing an episode of UFO Hunters on The History Channel, an episode specifically addressing the Cash-Landrum event. No new information was revealed (as is usually the case with such programs), but one segment of the show hit home for me.

In early January of 1981, I was catching a ride from a buddy who lived in Conroe, Texas, and we necessarily traveled that same roadway (FM 1485) on our way to work on the east side of Houston. We usually left well before sunrise to reach our jobsite by 7:00 AM, as the commuter traffic up there around Conroe was legendarily bad. So it was still dark when we hit the road.

This would have been shortly after the Cash-Landrum incident transpired, but we didn't know that, as the story had not yet reached the press.

Outside of New Caney, Texas, on a stretch of 1485 that was particularly desolate at the time, we encountered a nondescript sawhorse roadblock and what I supposed was a contract road crew working in the dark, using only a spotlight tree to illuminate what appeared to be some serious road repairs. In fact, we were turned back to New Caney because the entire road was closed.

I thought this was odd because there were no "detour" nor "road closed" nor "men working" warning signs, and it was highly unusual for road repairs to shut down both sides of a thoroughfare. Unless, of course, it was an emergency job. We assumed that a petroleum tanker had crashed and burned, damaging the road and warranting a rush repair.

By the light of our headlights, we could see quite a bit of heavy equipment — a couple of beaten-up and unmarked dump trucks, an unmarked front-end loader, an unmarked road grader, and a couple of other bulky vehicles hidden by the darkness. I guessed that it was a blacktop machine, because we could smell creosote and asphalt in the air. None of the road crew were wearing reflective gear, either, which I thought was pretty peculiar. They were tearing up and laying a new road. In the dark.

Aside from being a little puzzled and pissed off, we turned around and took an alternate route to work and didn't give the road block another thought, except that we remembered to take a different route home later that day.

Shortly thereafter, the Cash-Landrum incident first made the news in a big way; even then, we didn't put two-and-two together for a few more weeks. Then, on the way home from work one afternoon, traveling up FM 1485, we made the connection — here was a new stretch of over 100 feet of the roadway that was stark and pristine blacktop. Even the gravel shoulders of the road were fresh gravel, all of which stood out like a sore thumb against the rest of the forested scenery.

It just suddenly became very obvious to us — this was where that goddamned thing, that diamond-shaped UFO, had come down and melted the road. As later confirmed by the witnesses, it was the exact site of the incident.

Which was a distinctly creepy feeling, but also an infuriating one. I mean, this thing had provided even the staunchest skeptics with some of the most irrefutable physical evidence they could possibly demand of a UFO sighting... A melted highway, and a trio of witnesses suffering high-energy radiation burns, for Godsake.

But the evidence was deliberately destroyed and paved-over. The witnesses tried to sue the U.S. military and then the U.S. government for their grievous injuries, but their lawsuits were dismissed without hearing, simply because the government issued a one-line excuse: The U.S. government has no knowledge of and does not assume responsibility for this incident.

Ta-daaaa. Easiest defense ever.

Which is one of the reasons that I have very little respect for skeptics demanding irrefutable physical evidence of UFO contact. I think skeptics know the evidence is being destroyed, which makes it easy to dismiss UFOs out-of-hand, without even bothering to investigate. I mean, how many times do you think this has happened over the decades? How many contacts have been paved-over and officially dismissed, even as people's lives were destroyed in the process?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Wouldn't there be something left... like detectable radiation on the new road? So many UFO crashes I hear about are cleaned up so quickly, I don't think their ET, they sound more like experimental craft, a top secret experiment gone wrong would have the same results.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Nice thread & a good read, cheers. S & F

Which is one of the reasons that I have very little respect for skeptics demanding irrefutable physical evidence of UFO contact. I think skeptics know the evidence is being destroyed, which makes it easy to dismiss UFOs out-of-hand, without even bothering to investigate.

I've taken a little offence by this statement though.

In your post you've stated that the Government destroyed the evidence & you obviously seem to want to challenge their response to the incident & perhaps seek out more information before you decide what actually occurred.

Isn't that, by the definition of the word, skepticism?

People who dismiss without bothering to investigate or consider other opinions are the ones you shouldn't respect.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I do not think it was a UFO, but a secret military vehicle. They were testing it and following it with helicopters. I think it is a shame they did not pay for the three persons medical care, and offer an apology for what happened. It is still classified today, and hopefully in the future will be declassified so Mr Landrum can know what happened to him.

This was definitely NOT an extraterrestrial craft, but a secret military craft.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fillet ask a
In your post you've stated that the Government destroyed the evidence & you obviously seem to want to challenge their response to the incident & perhaps seek out more information before you decide what actually occurred.

Well, no, I never said I thought the government destroyed evidence. I said I thought it was a contract road crew — the workers and equipment were unmarked, as far as I could see, so I cannot say exactly who were the culprits.

The reason the government is even mentioned is because the witnesses believed the entire incident was an encounter with experimental military aircraft.

My point is that people suffered bizarre and debilitating injuries as a result of the Cash-Landrum Incident, yet the skeptics out there seemingly won't accept radiation burns and resulting skin cancer as "hard evidence" of an encounter, nor even acknowledge the emergency road repairs at the site of the incident.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/15/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It's not what you know....it's what you can prove and
these guys are simply NOT going to let ANYTHING out!

They have the best cover and anyone who trys to uncover
anything will be seen as a nut to the general public. It's
fail-proof

And the victors write the history books.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

"I don't think their ET, they sound more like experimental craft, a top secret experiment gone wrong would have the same results"

Since the 'experimental craft' was not identified (except by you; on this thread, with no proof), it is a de facto UFO.

Not a flying saucer either - but a UFO....

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hello Doc,

I also watched the show and it was very interesting and it really upsets me how our government would allow these people to suffer and just brush them off. This shows me when the government says we do this to protect the people they are full of crap they are out for themselves and don't give a crap about us at all.

Look at the way Bush said he doesn't care what the people think about him, well he should he was our President. If we the people don't keep an eye on everything this government does and band together when they do something we don't like or want then it is just as much our fault for letting them get away with the stuff they do.

I also don't feel that this was an Alien ship because there were to many double rotters right there I would think we would have had the faster aircraft out and to try and shoot it down cause that's the way we are.

I would suggest that you write to Bill Birnes and tell him what you have written here for us, I am sure he is looking for every tid-bit of information he can compile.

www.history.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Skeptics do understand that if there was a cover-up of the subject, evidence would need to be removed and witnesses ignored or threatened. That's why the subject is where it is today and will never go away. The evidence that does exist in the public domain is compelling, but its not going to convince everybody.

Only until an incident happens that is impossible to cover up will the subject ever come out. I suspect such an event would require action on the part of UFO pilots themselves that is either accidental or deliberate. The crashing of a large UFO in a major metropolitan area or something else equally major would be required to stop government denials.

Cash-Landrum is a very compelling case. Unfortunately its just not big enough to stop the denials.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Frith]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

At least the military did remove the radioactive road and replaced it with good pavement. That did remove the danger to others potentially getting radiation sickness in the area. I do believe that it definitely was an experimental craft of some sort, and as I have stated above, hope that Mr Landrum can get some answers and closure for what happened to him and his family.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
1n 1994, some workers sickened by unknown toxic chemicals at Area 51 were also snubbed by the government for compensation.

In the Cash/Landrum case, what about radiation effects on the Chinook
pilots and crew? Maybe they had protective suits?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Star and flag for you.

I just finished watching the show, it's compelling to say the least. It also shows that yes, the Government can do as it pleases without forethought, as to the consequences to their actions.

I believe that yes, the government is hiding thousands of "proofs" as to what is being seen daily around the globe. For what reason is the million dollar question. We have the technology to defeat any aggressor and win any war right now (or stop a war) so why keep this technology secret? To keep our enemies from the technology? Yea, sure, by the time any enemy can figure a way to defend it, our technology will be way ahead.

Money is the only answer, follow it and we have our answer.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
My understanding of the reason why the case was dismissed is different than what our witness here as stated. I understand that a military officer swore to the judge that the entire cope of the branches of the military did not have a total collection of over twenty 'copters. However, that is a moot point. the dismissal was an inside job.

Walt Andrus, then the head of MUFON and I butted heads a bit over one of the first (twin) triangle sightings in the country which was excellent. He dismissed it as maneuvers at the ammo base up there in southrn Oklahoma. and never responded to my lengthy report of it until I quieried him a couple of months later. As for the Cash-Lundrum sighting, his response was that it was not a real UFO but a secret device of ours that was being tested from a carrier in the gulf. (Better to have substantial secret craft flying around than real UFOs, right?)

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

A few things point to the object being a military type vehicle:

1. The initial reports I read described a missile shaped object. I don't know if it is embellishment of that Mr Landrum did not get a good look at the craft for it to now take on a diamond shape.

2. The fact that the craft had flames shooting out from it shows it was terrestrial in origin. Why would a civilization thousands if not millions of years ahead of us use such a primitive and dangerous form of travel? They would have a propulsion system much more advanced than a rocket type that is common to what we use.

3. The secrecy of the military indicates that this is still quite secret. Also, the quick way in which they repaved the road indicates they knew of the radiation.

This case is quite obviously not an otherworldly craft. I think UFO researchers want every case to be a flying saucer when that is not necessarily so.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Regarding question #2.

The flames shooting out of the alleged craft may have been a result of malfunction. Since everything is conjecture I am going to go ahead and say this was a malfunctioning extraterrestrial vehicle that was limping along trying to escape capture by the U.S. government. Like a paranormal version of car chases you see on television when a suspect is chased by a large group of cops on the highway where their tires blow off and the rims are biting into the cement causing sparks to fly everywhere.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Frith]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Frith

If it was a extraterrestrial vehicle, how did the military know the road was contaminated by radiation? That should be one of the bigger pieces of evidence to show this was one of our experimental craft.

I know people want every case to involve extraterrestrials, but that is not always the case. Just by looking at the evidence and eyewitness testimony, one can conclude this was one of ours.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
One thing which is rarely touched upon when discussing either case but which I feel deserves closer inspection is the fact that this happened the very night after the Rendelsham Forrest incident. I can't help but feel that the two are somehow connected; both apparently involve US military personel somehow interacting with a UFO, albeit it in very different capacities. Did the events at Rendelsham panic the military into testing a prototype craft back-engineered from alien technology, a prototype which was not yet ready for flight trials and which poisoned observers as a result?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Since the 'experimental craft' was not identified (except by you; on this thread, with no proof), it is a de facto UFO.
Not a flying saucer either - but a UFO....

The doctor who examined Betty Cash and talked on the UFO Hunters episode, Dr. Brian McClelland, said several military people told him and described what happened in great detail (that seemed to have convinced Dr. McClelland), and that the craft was an experimental nuclear powered personnel carrier called the WASP 2.

Then on the UFO Hunters they ask "former Air Force flight test engineer" Bill Scott if he ever heard anything about it and he said he had heard about an Army test program called the WASP, that was a "one-man flying vehicle".

[edit on 19-1-2009 by converge]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by converge

I haven't seen that show, but it seems to offer a plausible explanation.

Of course the question as to why they were testing such a secret and apparently dangerous craft over mainland USA is still very much up for debate...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join