It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is smoking cigarettes, commiting suicide?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
We all know that "squares" contain highly addictive and may I add "deadly" chemicals. With that said, if one knowingly smokes them is this cosidered a form of attempted suicide or not? Though I have known people that smoked for 30 plus years and never fell ill to a single tobacco related illness, I know that some have been treated for COPD after smoking for a relitively short period ot time. Smoking has been linked to millions of deaths worldwide, so again I ask, is smoking cigarettes, commiting suicide? you decide.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Living is inherently commiting suicide. 100% of everyone and everything alive will die. Death is always the end result of life no matter how hard people try to stave it off.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ShAuNmAn-X

I agree, but I was attempting to focus on the act of smoking in terms of weather or not it's considered suicide/attempt because some knowingly do it (including me) even though it is known to kill, we don't live by the same unchoosing.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Is eating fatty foods suicide?

*disclosure: militant smoker speaking lol*

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Is eating fatty foods suicide?

*disclosure: militant smoker speaking lol*

Good question! and along the same lines of what I asked, how do define these actions as it relates to suicide meaning prolonged or instant, maybe in one form or another we are all "commiting suicide"

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
There are people that smoke and live 100 years.I don't know if it's a rule but it happens
My grand grand father lived 105 and smoked unfiltred cigarets,a pack a day, every day of his life from 20 years of age until 95 years of age.
My uncle's wife never drinked , never smoked and died of cancer.
Now I don't know what to say, It does not matter if you smoke, drink, all that counts is how your organism is designed to hold.
Most health problems come from food sources, from what everyone eats.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

It's mostly a temporal question.

One could I suppose argue that suicide in the conventional sense is the result of a single overt act such as taking pills etc ..

If we are to include all the "long term" minor acts of self-destruction then the answer to your question is yes.

As in most of life's questions the answer is always "No with a but, yes with an if"

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Good point, as I mentioned some people smoke for years and years with no consequence and others smoke for a few years and get lung cancer, who knows?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I don't think so. Simply put, people don't smoke with the intention of killing themselves, they smoke for enjoyment, at least at first, and perhaps out of addiction later. It's a "leisure" activity much like the consumption of alcohol and any other drug for pleasure as opposed to the act of desperation and pain that is suicide.

Suicide is about ending one's life, smoking is about, perhaps ironically, enjoying it in some way since smoking has a way of enhancing the pleasure of certain activities. Suicide... not so much.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
If I gave up smoking I might commit murder... so I don't know which would be worse.

and, if I gave up smoking for my health, and then died in a car accident, I would be really pissed on my way out...

top topics

join