It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Navy Seals use different standard weapons than other special forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Is there a standard issue weapon that all military use or do different parts of the forces use different standard weapons. Obviously they have an enormous range of weapons available to them, but is there a standard that everyone is issued? What is considered the current best all round battle weapon for hostile conditions?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Tho most do have standard issue firearms, anything "special" regarding what the Seals use...well that wouldnt be widely known considering alot of what the Seals do is classified.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tarpon68

All weapons and equiptment are "mission specific" meaning that whatever the mission requires, then thats what they bring along for the ride

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
They generally use the same primary weapon as all U.S. forces do: the M16/M4 series of weapons. Their secondary weapon is usually the Sig P226 in 9mm. Equipment will change to suit the mission, but this is typically what they carry.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They, like Delta, like SF, have multiples of weapons to choose from, depending on mission, preference, duration, and ingress.

Most of us would wet ourselves if we could get access into their weapons rooms and make a selection.

Things that we have never seen.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Most special forces use the same weapons as the current military. With SOPMOD kits. (Special Operations Peculiar MODification). Same basic gun. Rail system with vertical grip, flashlight, infrared laser (can only be seen with nightvision). Difference in buttstocks are usually given to preference of individual soldier. Some will hold batteries, cleaning kits, whatever they feel they might need.

Recently, more and more soldiers are getting the rail system to allow for the laser. It has allowed for quicker targeting during nighttime firefights in Afganistan and Iraq.

The major difference with the guns interior, is that special forces already have the gas piston retrofitted into their weapons. This make the gun EXTREMELY reliable, in sand, mud, water, etc. Not as much cleaning to keep weapon in good condition. The military is looking to retrofit all the M16 varients (m4s) with the gas piston. It is cheaper than building an entirely new weapons platform. ~$600 per rifle, compared to ~2000 per NEW rifle.

The gas piston is what weapons such as the Kalishnakov (AK47/74 etc) use. It's what makes them reliable.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I found a couple of sites that give listings of the more common Seal weapons.

This first one appears to the be the "offical" Seals site

Navy Seals

This next one is general spec op. site.

Sepcial Ops

Interesting - there are a few differences between the lists. I notice the "offical" site has a shorter weapons list than the general special ops one.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Ummmm, I think they have to be especially water-resistant...dummmm.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
SF would diffinitly be mission specific. You don't want to use a longgun(like a M16) in close quarters combat, or use a MP5 for a long range slug fest. Standard issue for the Marine Corps (as of August when I was discharged), is the M16A4, basically just a improved M16A2 with a rail system on the foregrip and a removable carry handle/sight that you can mount a ACOG or whatever too. USMC issues alot of M4's now too though, and the standard sidearm is the M92F pistol, though Recon is issued the old and trusty M1911.

As specifly for the Seals, I'd think that they would perfer more waterproof weapons, like the Steyer Aug perhaps...alas apparetnly no generals agree with me.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This is not a one line post....

Waterproof Ones?

Kind Regards

Elf

new topics

top topics

join