It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes a 'good' person?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Look, I'm not saying that I agree with Iraqi norms, I'm out, your taking this way wrong, good people don't look at things in a bias fashion, you on the other hand are, and thats fine by all means think inside the box and be content in your world where everything is black in white. My world has rainbows and a option to use the gifts your maker of choice gave you. A good person is someone who acts off of morals, norms and their conscience

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Thats why they made them awsome cartoons in the 80's (moral of story included at end of everyshow. You were given heroes to look up to, He-Man, G I Joe, TRansformers, Thundercats ect.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
As far as Buddhist philosophy is concerned, by helping others, you are helping yourself. It's called common sense. Unfortunately, not everyone has it

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by killacaboose

Look, I'm not saying that I agree with Iraqi norms, I'm out, your taking this way wrong, good people don't look at things in a bias fashion, you on the other hand are, and thats fine by all means think inside the box and be content in your world where everything is black in white. My world has rainbows and a option to use the gifts your maker of choice gave you. A good person is someone who acts off of morals, norms and their conscience

Are you implying that alot of social norms and morals are illogical? Im not.... they are patterns of behavior that were deemed memorable in their effectiveness at promoting human growth in understanding.... ,from their limited current perspective.

Im sorry if taking away your free will makes you cry
Know that i love you and care what it is that you do in your life. You dont need a magical god to know my logical love.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
What makes a good person a good person is whatever a person thinks makes them a good person.
Think about it too hard. It'll make sense.

Off topic: Waht tyme iz it? believe it or not someone asked this on a message board.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Elijio

From the standpoint of an individual who is ignorant of the world then yes it would be relative.

But if you understand reality and in turn look at it from the perspective of ALL life good and evil are easily seen and defined.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
So....you took my post seriously.........awkward......Uh...I was actually mocking the view that it's all relative......If I type dots......do you read my post......at a ....slower speed.....?
Just asking.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Also, your avatar offends me.
You are to change it right away.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Elijio

your avatar looks like 3 guys peeing off camera at another man whos tripping.

LOL! im the one whos offended by YOUR avatar.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Elijio

your avatar looks like 3 guys peeing off camera at another man whos tripping.

LOL! im the one whos offended by YOUR avatar.

ahahahaa.
I don't think you are a good person. j/k I'll change mine if you'll change yours

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I'm glad to see in the time I was absent you resorted to a mature way to continue this discussion. "Better to shut your mouth and look like a fool then to open it and remove all doubt." I think your a good person you just haven't found the proper way to express it. Go You!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by killacaboose

You just dont understand my motives and you dont understand the most effective way to get the the bottem of stuff.

Pick a good fight with farily logical people and the truth is the only thing that will remain.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that free will doesnt exist.
see im smiling

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Balance.

There ya go. Solution in one word. Thanks. I wish i got paid for giving my advice.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I love my family. However, I dont see them as often as I would like.
I think I am good for loving them, but not so good at trying to find time to spend with them as often as I would like to.

I love my friends. However, I dont go out of my house as often as I used to. I think I am good for caring about them, but perhaps I could be better by spending more time with them and less time alone at home.

I have never killed a person (that I know of...war story), I dont use illegal drugs, I dont steal from people, I try to be mostly honest, I work hard, I walk/feed/train/treat my dogs, I pay my bills and my taxes, I try not to speed excessively or break the laws of the land, and I genuinely care about the well being of total strangers. I have loved completely and hope that I have been loved back.

I think in the grand scheme of things, its all about what you do and what you dont do that defines you. Goodness is tied to your humanity, conscience, morality, and faith. Tend to them, listen to them, nurture them, and I think you can sleep well each night knowing that you are a good person.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Ibelieve a good person shares his knowlege with others. Like how to make good food and wine. or how to find good bud. He will alsoshare ideas about views on the universe, and subatomic particles.

A good guy will share his car and home if need be, and could also share his woman to show him around. A true man would not be jealous, as trust would be a non issue.

Last but not least, a good man should share his secrets of the occult, such things may differ from prson to person and ought to be passed along.

Doubting Thomas

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
All these point of views are very interesting..

I'm so happy this thread has gotten a good amount of posts and discussion.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I think it's like looking for Bigfoot. It's rumored that "good people" exist somewhere, but it's doubtful we'll ever find one that is truly "good" or (for that matter) anyone who is truly "bad". It's all relative. I believe that Mother Theresa was at least as good as anybody else, but was there doubtless someone who knew another side of Mother Theresa? She was human and complex, and there is never only one side to anybody. It's been found that she doubted the existence of God even as she embraced poverty due to her vows in his name. So, the idea of "good" versus "bad" is a moot point, because neither side can be proven. I believe it's the intention which makes the difference, and I think that most of the time even the most "evil" among us at least have good intentions.

Then again, you know what they say about good intentions...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The way to know for sure how good of a person you are: there is a test.

Go to the following URL to take the test:

www.goodpersontest.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lovelyn

It's hard to deny moral relativism. There is no good or evil. Plus, if you think you are a good person, then isn't that enough? Do you need someone else to validate that you are a good person? If being a valuable and constructive member of your society is important to you, then getting feedback from your community makes sense. It's all relative. Hitler was only evil from our perspective. From his, and many of his follower's perspective, he was a genius. It all depends!!! I'm sure cockroaches think that humans are evil... and they would be right!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join