It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — President-elect Barack Obama will allow gays to serve openly in the military by overturning the controversial "don't ask, don't tell" policy that marred President Clinton's first days in
office, according to incoming White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Well, here it is folks, the decision that has been hotly debated to keep silent on the disclosure of gays in the military, has been overturned. Obama says in one word "yes I will end, don't ask don't tell."

I personally can't see how he can take on something so controversial at the beginning of his term. Wonder what the military has to say? We didn't become the strongest military
in the world without strict guidelines. I mean rules are in place for a reason. What does Obama know about what it takes to serve his country that he didn't learn in a text book?
Why can't he stick to the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This man is determined to sell America out. To take the best fighting force in the world and manipulate it to fit his agenda is foolish. In my opinion he is doing everything to undermine this
country and what it stands for.

Our current economic crisis should be where his focus is. By taking on such a controversial issue even before he gets in office, he is asking to fall flat on his face. Someone needs to give the guy a wake up call.

Your thoughts on this?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 01/12/2009 by paxnatus]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Once again, liberals think the military can be used as some sort of social experiment.

So much for Obama earning the respect of the military like he said he was going to do. Didn't take long for him to start crapping on us.

But I didn't expect anything different.

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus

Well, here it is folks, the decision that has been hotly debated to keep gays out of the military has been overturned. Obama says in one word "yes I will end, don't ask don't tell."

Uhm... In case you didn't know you can't "keep gays out of the military". They already serve our country in the military. The Don't Ask Don't Tell proposition was not to "keep gays out of the military", It was to prevent commanders from asking if you were gay.

I personally can't see how he can take on something so controversial at the beginning of his term. Wonder what the military has to say? We didn't become the strongest military
in the world without strict guidelines.

Reminds me of another strong military where homosexuality was strictly enforced... Alexander the Great's

You confuse the use of strict guidelines with homosexuality.

I mean rules are in place for a reason.

Really? What were the rules which kept women from voting there for? How about the rules that allowed Americans to own slaves?

Do you just simply blindly follow rules without questioning their morality?

What does Obama know about what it takes to serve his country that he didn't learn in a text book?

He Served his country more than most simply by bringing light and hope to small communities in the southside of Chicago.

Why can't he stick to the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well in this case.. it's pretty broken. I'm glad he's getting to fixin it.

This man is determined to sell America out.

Really? What is your evidence?

To take the best fighting force in the world and manipulate it to fit his agenda is foolish.

No.. that's Presidential. You now... Commander in Chief...

In my opinion he is doing everything to undermine this
country and what it stands for.

So it doesn't stand for equality for all?

Or do you belive it stands for Homophobia?

Our current economic crisis should be where his focus is.

Oh believe me it is. But he can chew gum and walk at the same time ya know.

By taking on such a controversial issue even before he gets in office, he is asking to fall flat on his face.

No Risk... No Reward. I don't get your fear?

Someone needs to give the guy a wake up call.

I prefer to give the guy a hand!

Thank you OBAMA!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Once again, liberals think the military can be used as some sort of social experiment.

Nope... we just know that the Military is a mirror of society. Not a social experiment.

So much for Obama earning the respect of the military like he said he was going to do.

He has earned the respect of THIS military serviceman!!!!

Didn't take long for him to start crapping on us.

Funny I see it the other way around. It didn't take long for him to start supporting us!

But I didn't expect anything different.

Well then that's why you are seeing this the way you are... it's your attitude.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

And how is allowing gays in the military "supporting" us?

Glad he earned your respect by allowing gays in the service. I don't get bought off that cheaply; he has a bit more work to do before he gets mine.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The policy apparently has done far more harm than good and made discriminatory termination easier according to an article last summer in the Washington alt press which interviewed 30-some people dismissed under it, all with good performance and conduct records. The policy's existence really seemed to piss people off more than actually serving with gays anyway. Homosexuals have been among the world's greatest military leaders and foot soldiers since day one so what is the big deal? So what if closet cases can't stomach it, it's not an issue for most. They need to worry about bigger issues, like returning soldiers' health issues.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
*SNIP*

Oh, sorry about that. I'll lose sleep over your "no respect for the military" attitude.

"Take a bullet"? Wow, that's funny, hoping for the death of someone you don't know.

Mod Edit: Quote Cleanup.

[edit on 14/1/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

AMEN !

besides one of the greatest armies/soldiers ever existed, those of "Sparta" were the fiercest gays you could possibly think of

www.hour.ca...

the Athens as well..

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Obama has decided to end the policy.

Go figure.

He's gutting the intelligence community. He's hamstringing the intelligence community.

He'll gut the military.

And what we'll have left is a "Don't complain, just bend over" ruling on gays.

If I were in the military, I certainly wouldn't be re-upping. I'd get the hell out while the getting is good.

Obama is going to get a number of good men killed for no good reason. Just like Clinton did. What a frikkin' embarassement.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

And how is allowing gays in the military "supporting" us?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the numbers for recruitment are way down. And correct me if I'm wrong, but is a gay man not just as able to pick up a gun and die for a barrel of oil as a straight man? Or do you believe there is a difference?

Honestly I always thought the don't ask don't tell policy was a pretty good idea, but I'm not gay so I can't say for sure how that community viewed it. I do know that gay people should have the same rights as straight people, including the right to illegally occupy another country before being blown up by an IED put in place by a pissed off ten-year-old Iraqi boy who's house was bombed by an F-16.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

True, the Don't ask Don't tell policy is in place so commanders don't ask if you are gay. That is the DON'T ASK part.

The Don't tell part covers gay soldiers not letting other soldiers know that they are gay. If they do then they are discharged from the military.

If you are openly gay in the military you will be discharged. No questions asked. So yes it is in place to keep openly gays out of the military.

So you are half right.

The Don't ask Don't tell policy is in place for morale and should not be removed.

When you are deployed you have what is called shower tents. They are not private and are very cramped, with hundreds being pushed through every night. How comfortable do you think a young soldier is going to be when he has to shower a foot away from another soldier who he knows to be gay?

Do they shower with the females (if gay male) or with the men (if gay female)? Do they get their own shower time?

Having a gay male showering with other men would be as uncomfortable for the straight men as having females shower with the males.

There are other examples I can come up with if you need them to see that this is a very bad thing to do.

Edit for grammer

[edit on 14-1-2009 by jd140]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper

Obama is going to get a number of good men killed for no good reason. Just like Clinton did. What a frikkin' embarassement.

Why? Do you honestly believe gay men are going to endanger US forces? Please.

And the intelligence he's gutting is the same intelligence that let 4 planes fly off route for over an hour without any intervention and told us there were WMD's in Iraq. They're all crooks, and they're lucky it's the 21'st century because if it were any other time they'd be strung up.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

yeah and that same gay guy who just saved ur ass means nothing??

I mean hell why cant they serve? whats wrong with being gay and being in the army to protect ur land from whoever or attack for whatever reason..

I find it very hypercritcal..

Do we ask why we have gay doctors firemen police officers or shall i keep going?

Its about time and good on ya obama!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Thanks, I know what it means and I miss spoke myself. Tell me something, how is the disclosing of sexual preference going to benefit our military? Why do the men and women need this distraction? Are you an American?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
If they are willing to uphold the oath they take and to follow the military rules as stated in the UCMJ, I say let them in. Change is difficult for anyone to swallow, but don't they also have a right to defend and protect their country.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy was fantastic. It achieves nothing removing it, while keep it should reduce segregation. Why remove it?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Okay I'm utterly confused. Why are people making it out to seem like gays can't be in the military in and that they would hurt military values? You probably know some openly gay people yourself and don't find them all bad. Why not let them fight with our army? I fail to see how this is just a social experiment.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
If they are willing to uphold the oath they take and to follow the military rules as stated in the UCMJ, I say let them in. Change is difficult for anyone to swallow, but don't they also have a right to defend and protect their country.

I agree 100%, that's really all it comes down to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join