It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Life on Mars

www.thesun.co.uk

ALIEN microbes living just below the Martian soil are responsible for a haze of methane around the Red Planet, Nasa scientists believe.

The gas, belched in vast quantities in our world by cows, was detected by orbiting spacecraft and from Earth using giant telescopes.

Nasa are today expected to confirm its presence during a briefing at their Washington HQ.

And the find is seen as exciting new evidence that Martian microbes are still alive today.

Some scientists reckon methane is also produced by volcanic processes. But there are NO known active volcanoes on Mars.

Furthermore, Nasa has found the gas in the same regions as clouds of water vapour, the vital “drink” needed to support life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Novastar824]

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Novastar824]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14/1/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
From the Sun, but looks pretty official since they talk about NASA providing all the data.

Pretty remarkable.

What do you all think? Maybe there's a commonality between life on Mars and on Earth and its not as alien as we think.

If it is alien and life developed completely seperately on both planets then I think that seals the case for tons of life teaming throughout the universe.

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14/1/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Novastar824

Well I hope and pray this is it.
I was quick with my responce on another thread earlier I will go back and edit that responce if this pans out tonight.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I checked the NASA site and it didn't mention anything yet

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
the sun is a tabloid isn't it? doesn't that automatically mean its a fake? i don't read tabloids much but as i browse the check out stand i notice several that mention that obama is George bush's hypnotized half-brother. ill wait for more news before accepting this

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
According to the Sun, Nasa will report on it tonight (the 15th).

I edited the title of this thread to more clearly reflect the article.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
haven't seen a thing about it on the NASA site unless i'm not looking hard enough? i would suspect this would be front page news.

the Sun also said that Eddie Murphy was going to play the Riddler in Nolans next batman flick, soooo....

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Just keep in mind that this data comes from the exsisting probes and rovers. This data is not new. It only confirms that they already knew about it for the last few years. It also confirms many of the theories put forth by those who have been called "nuts" or "crazy". Well guess who's going nutz now!!!

It is more of the "stale pale slow as a snail" drip drip release of what they know.

In other words, its nothing to scream and shout and jump up and down about. What this should tell people, is that NASA definately knows alot more than what they tell us.

When was the last time a new probe, orbiter or rover was sent to Mars?

Take that into account, and the number of years those things were there collecting data, and there you have the answer to how long they have known about it.

It is definately the "smoking gun".

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Microbes are cool indeed
but I'll save my excitement for when they tell us about the REAL life on mars! ( not holding breath
)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by borachon

True. The latest news release is from yesterday. Maybe the webmaster is just slow in posting things.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Whoopy-doo! give them another 25 billion to go stick some in a bag.

2 line "poo"st

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
If there are underground bases still there, than this is probably part of their underground base gas leaking? Sewer systems?

Some aliens have been said to be vegetarians= farts=methane?idk I would have thought they would be recycling waste gases better. I guess only humans would be so sloppy.

I recall a girl I knew who was given some tubes of green goo like tooth paste tubes and now that they use the green algae like this, it makes more sense as food like the astronauts had.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Meh... big friggin' deal. Microbes on Mars, yawn...

When are they going to tell us about the real ETs which are dropping by on a daily basis?

The mass public will lap this up, while some of us roll our eyes in disgust at the contempt that NASA shows for our intelligence.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If this is true, I beleive this is the find of the century. Maybe not intelligent life. But one has to start somewhere, no matter how small. But at least we can now say, life on other planets exist. Just great to be alive when that happened.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

When are they going to tell us about the real ETs which are dropping by on a daily basis?

The mass public will lap this up, while some of us roll our eyes in disgust at the contempt that NASA shows for our intelligence.

It may not be a big deal to you, but for those of us who have been debating this the past several years, this is a HUGE find, especially if you were on the side of microbial life.

Let's just hope this isn't tabloid hype.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Awesome if true. I know many here have felt that life on mars wasn't only possible but already in existence. Now there is verification of microbes... next comes the big underground worms like in Tremors!

Or do we start a row of asparagus first...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
yes, if this is true, then this IS a outstanding find.
finally, we may get the chance to announce to the world that there is life on other planets!
it's not much but it's ENOUGH! excellent!!!!

a huge chunk of society will be amazed by this, and then we can see the evolution of the thought process: "if there's life on mars, then..."

bring it.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Really, your response is "meh?"

I'm sure those who call UFO investigation crawling through garbage youtube videos an hour a day and call that evidence would share your response. However there are a lot of very intelligent, dedicated, and serious people who spend their entire lives, for very little reward but for the search of knowledge, for whom if this fact is true, would perceive it as one of man's greatest discoveries.

I am neither of the above, but I would call the presence of life on the nearest planet to earth (Mars/Venus depending on orbit) a monumental discovery. It would surely mean that the chances for the emergence of life across the universe is much more common than originally thought.

In any case, if true, this discovery opens the door to many more questions than answers and that in itself is the foundation of discovery and exploration. This discovery will illicit different responses by different people. "Meh" is not one of them.

If you have scientific evidence to present to back this unqualified statement up I look forward to reading it in your no doubt impending thread. I'm sure Zorgon will be ecstatic to hear of this clinching news. Either way, this has absolutely nothing to do with this yet to be confirmed discovery.

My apologies if this sounds rude, but minimizing extraordinary discoveries because you are not getting the disclosure you feel you are entitled to is neither fair nor relevant.

Meh indeed!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I would call the presence of life on the nearest planet to earth (Mars/Venus depending on orbit) a monumental discovery. It would surely mean that the chances for the emergence of life across the universe is much more common than originally thought.

That, in a nutshell, IS the reason that this announcement is so important,if it turns out to be true. I truly hope it is true.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join