It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germans Divided on Feelings Towards Israel, Poll Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Germans Divided on Feelings Towards Israel, Poll Shows

www.dw-world.de

Germany is split over its feelings towards Israel, according to a new survey. Of those questioned, 60 per cent thought the country no longer had a special duty towards the Jewish state.

The figures, released on the Web site of German weekly Stern, showed less engagement amongst young people, of whom 70 percent felt no special responsibility towards Israel.

Of those questioned by polling agency Forsa, 35 per cent said this duty did still exist, more than 60 years after the end of World War II.

'Dangerous development'

Forsa's chief executive, Manfred Guellner, said it was a "dangerous development" if the younger generations felt they no longer needed to deal with the events that occurred during the Nazi regime.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16/1/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The survey established that young German people found no connection with Germany's nazi past. They see it as irrelevant to them and have no interest. I see this as a good thing because Germans view the nazi mentality alien to them.

Today, a united Europe that benefits from a connected world community is unlikely to suffer the self indulgent fascism of a post colonial period. Nazism is unlikely to rear its ugly head in Germany yet Forsa's chief executive, Manfred Guellner says that it is a 'Dangerous development'. Why is it dangerous and dangerous for whom?

Forsa is a social research company in Germany that does targeted surveys.

www.forsa.com...

I suggest that the Germany of today is not the Germany of yesterday. The only danger from an indifferent youth is their lack of being politicisable by others. That is a good thing. Also they are not subject to being emotionally blackmailed for crimes they haven't committed; after all, must a son carry the sins of the father?

www.dw-world.de
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Good. The whole ``guilty`` conscience need to get out of their heads. All populations, all cultures did horrible things in history.

The population don't need to feel guilty about it, they need to know about it so they don't do the same thing again.

Israel didn't learn from their own history with what they did in Lebanon in 86 with the massacres or to the palestinians since 60 years. Israel is making the same thing the nazis did to them. Forcing them into ghettos, treating them like dirt and controlling their lives. And if they dare fight back, they are bombed into submission without much regards to who gets killed.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I'll tell you what Israel did learn. With one exception, they learned that they can beat any Arab force that aligns itself against them.

Now, if we can just move things along a bit, the Persians can get the same lesson that Arabs should have learned long ago.

Egypt has had enough misadventure. Saudi's never had anything to work with anyway. Their own culture is as close to full-bodies paraplegics as a people can become.

Jordan doesn't want any more.

That leaves Syria, Hamas in Gaza, Hizballah in Lebanon, and of course the war-losers in Iran. Iranians can't fight worth crap, historically.

I'm sure that nothing has changed to alter that unbroken string of crushing defeats over the past two and a half millennia.

So to agree in part, Israel has learned many things.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by dooper]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Iranians can't fight worth crap, historically.

Well they had a vast empire, but yeah, they were crushed by the greeks at least twice.

After WW2 they had their own democracy and was about to become a great nation much like ours... but no, the western oil corporations overthrowed the regime and placed a dictator and that's why we have the situation now in Iran. That and paying Saddam to attack Iran. Our leadership is really a master in creating terrorism, poverty, suffering and extremism.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Well they had a vast empire, but yeah, they were crushed by the greeks at least twice.

They repelled a Persian invasion. it was nothing like the movie.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher

They repelled a Persian invasion. it was nothing like the movie.

How did Persian's repel a Persian invasion ? If Persian's were fighting Persian's wouldn't that be a civil war, revolution or overthrowal not an invasion

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Actually, when you combine the Greeks and the Macedonians against the vast Persian Empire, the Persians time and again got slaughtered.

Not just beaten - slaughtered. And each time, the Persians vastly outnumbered their Western enemies, often, five to one.

Darius I, lost 300 ships and 20,000 men off Cape Athos. Didn't even get into a fight.

Marathon, some 44,000 to 60,000 Persians(depending on source) met 10-16,000 Greeks(depending on source), and 6,400 Persians lost to 192 Greeks, resulting in a 33:1 kill ratio.

Xerxes sent 250,000 of the cream of the Persian Empire against Greece, fought a small force of 7,000 Greeks at the Thermopylae, and lost 25,000 Persians, while the Greeks lost 1,000, resulting in a 25:1 kill ratio.

At Salamis, Xerxes watched a small Greek navy sink 200 ships and 40,000 of his men drown. Historians agree that this was a slaughter, likely a 40:1 kill ratio.

At Platea, 300,000 Persians met 60,000 Greeks, and all but 43,000 Persians were killed at the cost of 1,360 Greeks.

Nearby, the remaining 43,000 Persians were killed at the Strymon River estuary, resulting in a total of 220:1 kill ratio.

Granicus, Macedonians met the Greeks, and 4-5,000 Persians were killed for 150 Macedonians, roughly a 26:1 kill ratio.

Issus, taking place just before dark, 94,000 Persians met 42,000 Macedonians, and there was only a 4:1 kill ratio, as the Persians ran faster in the dark than the Macedonians could run down.

Sidon, was crushed.

Guagamela, 250,000 Persians met 47,000 Macedonians, and though outnumbered five to one, the Macedonians slaughtered the Persians on their own, prepared battlefield, resulting ini 50,000 Persian deaths and 500 Macedonian deaths, or, a 100:1 kill ratio.

Then, at Perseopolis, Athenian harlots, led by Thais, burned the Persian capitol.

Thus, lays the foundation for my belief that the Persians, or modern day Iranians, can't fight for squat.

Even against the pisspoor Iraqi army, they could only choose to get slaughtered.

Iran may wish to quieten down and pray that no one in the West pays them any attention. And they certainly don't want any of Israel, a nation of Western immigrants, who've already proven unbeaten even against vastly larger foes.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The era of militarism and fascism is over, no longer does religion or race dictate how a country is run, and those countries that still adopt that method are backwards, and usually considered 3rd world.

Germany shouldn’t have to still be paying for what their forefathers did.
After all, it wasn’t today’s Israeli's / Jews that were tortured, and it wasn’t today’s Germans that did it.

Why should you be born into a life of negativity for something your forefathers did?

I think Israel are bringing much of the negativity on themselves, for past actions and present.

I feel sorry for the Germans in a way, if they ever speak honestly about Israel and say they are evil and doing bad horrible things, then no one will even think about it, they will instantly label them Nazi' descendants.

Much like Americans, your nation has been trained to accept Israel for better or worse, and any doubting them is considered anti-semantic.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dracula23

its sad since your Muslim brothers will keep dieing in the hand of the mighty Israeli army because of people like you...

Really? And not because of the "mighty Israeli army"?

Last time I checked, you don't need to be very mighty to subdue an already crushed civilian population. There's nothing mighty about dropping white phosphorous in crowded city streets. There's nothing mighty about bombing schools and UN facilities.

Seriously.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dracula23
reply to post by masonwatcher

Grow up man your one sided approach makes you look childish and Immature.

Pot

Kettle

Black

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I think it right that the Germany of today should not feel any sympathy or guilt towards the jews. Time has passed. I also know that the behaviours witnessed in Gaza can only show that the Israelis themselves hang onto the holocaust only as a means of self gratification for their own inhumane deeds.

Also as an add-on. I would suggest the best remedy for the trolls that are most deff following certain posters in any thread that is remotely Israeli based, is to not reply, just dont engage them in any way.

Some day they will actually read what they have posted and see how blatant their propoganda is.

Respects

new topics

top topics

join