learn more

The anger and pain of our young....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Okay i've been thinking....

The reason why our strange youth are going mental, getting depressed, taking medication, taking illegal drugs, fighting, commiting acts of rage, getting addicted to computer games/films, listening to angry music....

Is maybe because (as we know children grow faster and absorb the world around us at a remarkable rate) they are seeing how messed up the world REALLY is, and yet watching us adults freak out, moan, patronise each other and not do anything about it...

Yet when a child acts out of 'line' he gets punished.

Also consider the fact that the spoiled kids, the ones who get away with anything, unpunished, sometimes rewarded by their parents as a way of keeping them under control, then go on to succeed in jobs that only their psychological developments can allow for.... ruthless corporate swines and their ilk.

Oh and let's not forget they are being bombarded by the crap on television, the spin of the media, the strict social regimes of school and college (fashion, music, gangs) and then they have to sit back and watch us responsible adults do NOTHING ABOUT ANY OF IT....

I'm in my late twenties, but i like to think i still have my youth and can see it all very clearly tonight.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
As an 18 year old "child,"

People where I live are so spoiled and confused. Even I am, to an extent. They expect things to just be handed to them, and that suffering only happens to weak, poor people. But then, when things don't go the way they want, they explode and throw fits and don't understand WHY the world isn't perfect.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The reason why our strange youth are going mental, getting depressed, taking medication, taking illegal drugs, fighting, commiting acts of rage, getting addicted to computer games/films, listening to angry music....

Most of what you said here could apply to your average adult. Could it also be that adults are setting the example for their kids? I know many adults who are hooked on meth or on their computers.

Interesting points you make, starred.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Nah, too many kids are spoiled rotten brats these days because they've been raised by spoiled brat whinny parents. There are still a lot of great kids out there, but there sure aren't as many as you would expect. After the economy totally crashes, can you picture your typical baggy pants iPod bopping punk to take up farming and barn cleaning in order to survive and feed themselves? "Oh no, I got manure on my new Nike shoes, damn it, I quit." After the crash, it's gonna be pretty funny watching the spoiled ones having to deal with reality as it was a couple hundred years ago. I'm looking forward to the show myself.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I remember my parents. "School is the most important thing." "School!" "School!" "MORE SCHOOL!" Jeesh and then I come into the world with SCHOOL as all I know. What is school? It really is nothing, but to become a depressed sack of dung wasting away day by day like your parents than SCHOOL is all you need. What ever happened to life. How can I live with school riding me hard everyday of my life. Boy did I get a surprise when life wasnt SCHOOL!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
In the 90's, our generation was pretty ticked off about being the heirs to the world and all it's problems as well.

Maybe it's time this new generation put down their toys and started working on alternatives to the Game they're already growing to hate?

I really feel for this new generation, honestly I do, but sitting around complaining, acting out, screaming and kicking while expecting someone else to fix the problem and then present it on a silver platter isn't going to help change anything.

Best of luck to ya.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
No need to worry about us, we will all be just fine.
2nd line.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

Please, just take pity on my old grungy outdated bones when you guys finally Rise and Conquer! You kids scare me sometimes...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

This is nothing new. But I do feel that our current youth of today lack clear direction for different reasons...

Is maybe because (as we know children grow faster and absorb the world around us at a remarkable rate) they are seeing how messed up the world REALLY is, and yet watching us adults freak out, moan, patronise each other and not do anything about it...

Change was slow before the 1800's. Children lived as their parents did, suddenly humans started to develop the ability to develop enormous amounts of technology and culture in short periods of time. Youth "culture" did not even exist on a widespread scale before the 1950's and early incarnations of Rock'n'Roll. When you grew up before this you listened to the same/similar music, you like same/similar things etc.

Back then people's lifestyle would only have marginal changes from one generation to the next. Now how we live is being redefined every year. New ways to socialize, faster pacing, technology etc. etc.

Jam321 said

Most of what you said here could apply to your average adult. Could it also be that adults are setting the example for their kids? I know many adults who are hooked on meth or on their computers.

Jam summed up something I've believed for a long time. Adults have no idea how to live in this world. We run it, but we really don't know what were doing. Once they settle into their jobs, stop socializing and consume consume consume. Technologically we have evolved at a break neck pace. Socially we haven't quite figured out what works in this society and many many people are filling dramatically unfulfilled in their lives IMO.

Back to OP.

Also consider the fact that the spoiled kids, the ones who get away with anything, unpunished, sometimes rewarded by their parents as a way of keeping them under control, then go on to succeed in jobs that only their psychological developments can allow for.... ruthless corporate swines and their ilk.

Oh and let's not forget they are being bombarded by the crap on television, the spin of the media, the strict social regimes of school and college (fashion, music, gangs) and then they have to sit back and watch us responsible adults do NOTHING ABOUT ANY OF IT....

People of power/wealth getting away with things cause of position is definitely not new.

As for TV, you are right, I believe firmly that the constant bombardment of images and sound effects us on a far deeper level than just buying stuff. It reduces our existence to passive. In the past when people wanted entertainment they went and got with friends. Now you buy DVD's etc.

Yep, most adult do nothing...you are completely correct their. This is something WE must change, I feed the homeless and want to get more involved in helping retirees. Act locally, groove globally.

We are about the same age Mr. Lizard and we ask some of the same questions. I hope you find answers better than mine.

Perhaps this clip sums up our situation.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
My viewpoint on this spans 5 decades; a lot of the social events that triggered change were an unfolding part of my life.

the baby boomers after ww2 were thrown into an arena where life started to change very fast; when I got here in the late 1950's tv was a new box that showed tiny pictures and didn't have a lot to choose from, rock was just getting started, and society was still fairly laid back and mild as a whole;

these events listed next started the avalanche of change:

1. sputnik in orbit

2. Alan Shepherd in mercury-1st sub-orbital flight

3.Bay of pigs

4. cuban missile crisis

5.assassination of John F. Kennedy

6. Vietnam

7.asassanation of Robert Kennedy

8. hippies and the free love generation

9. assassanation of Martin Luther King

and too much to list here; the large family unit had split off into single family units; all this between 1960 and 1970; then Dr Spock convinced the world that we cannot discipline our children, which he later admitted he was wrong after the suicide of his own kid;

then we got cable and satelite tv; vcrs,video games, personal computers; the quality of education was chucked out over quantity of packed in info; they just forgot how to teach kids not only how to think, but to reason.

morality went out, too. then mom and dad both have to work to stay ahead of the game and buy all that unnecessary crap, so they added more stress and less time teaching their kids how to be an adult;

add in street drugs and gangs, too much tv, no real role models for anyone besides the crap on tv, all the problems arising from corrution and outright greed that have pissed up the planet, with a side of " I don't want my kids to go thru what I did, I want them to have it all now."

plus let's add in the schools telling them that it's allright to be mediocre, they will be taken care of, you don't have to try harder to excell or suceed.

Now tell me, is it any wonder things are as they are?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfChaos
This is nothing new. But I do feel that our current youth of today lack clear direction for different reasons...

What direction would you prefer?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
As a member of the current "youth generation" I have to say that people are way too pessimistic these days. There will always be losers with no ambitions and people without a clue, no matter what generation they come from. Even while being blitzed with media, religion, school, and other environmental factors, I and others in my generation have managed to form clear and strong independent beliefs and values.

If a mind is strong enough, it can overcome and even utilize to their advantage the "bad” influences around them to help shape a better future for themselves and maybe if they're lucky, the world around them.

What I’m trying to say is, sitting here on this forum trying to point out all the things that are wrong with the world won’t lead to anything productive. Instead, you older posters, try to give advice to those young people around you who are willing to listen. And I mean real advice, not just criticisms of their culture or their lifestyle. Tell them experiences of your life that might help them make choices to better themselves.

With all this in mind, it’s important to remember that not everyone is willing to listen. Some people will continue down destructive paths because they don’t have the mental will power to change their perspective.

Life is a lot more enjoyable if one can maintain a positive but logical perspective.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMayMelancholies
As a member of the current "youth generation" I have to say that people are way too pessimistic these days.

Coming from "The May Melancholies".

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by cancerian42

Originally posted by TheMayMelancholies
As a member of the current "youth generation" I have to say that people are way too pessimistic these days.

Coming from "The May Melancholies".

You can feel melancholy without being a pessimist you know.

In fact the word melancholy doesn't have to mean “depressed”. It can also mean "sober thoughtfulness; pensiveness." according to dictionary.com.

I think of melancholy as a calm reflective mood.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Okay i've been thinking....

Yet when a child acts out of 'line' he gets punished.

I'm in my late twenties, but i like to think i still have my youth and can see it all very clearly tonight.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by mr-lizard]

I completely agree with you. I am quite young myself, just had my 20th a few months ago, and I can speak from experience that when I was in high school and I started to Awaken to the world around me, I was puzzled why all these adults who were talking against it did not do more to stop this downspin. As a indirect result ( the other reason is, well, I was a teenager! I had to cut the darn cord! ) I did take up more angst-ey music and radical ways of dressing to draw attention to myself and thusly, what I thought.

After I grew up abit more, I have come to embrace my "radical yet still nice" side. I am seeing people coming out of their teens adopting this way of thinking, while still being prepared for whatever the future holds. It is true that todays youth is a generation unlike any other - completely wired, healthier, younger, and more willing to strike out. We should use this, and help shape their ( read - mine mind included ) minds as they go through their young, angry phase.

Do not forget also, those who are saying that the anger is "misplaced" in some way, most of the time anger just means misplaced feelings. Your body is growing, you're having urges, and this Christian fueled oppressive gov't is telling you what to do with it. What would you do?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I am in my 20's and I also have toddlers myself.

I hate it when people say "Morals are out the _" They may be, but too many people say this like it is a forgone conclusion their kids are going to grow up into brainless thugs or criminals.

The world may set a bad example but ultimately the individual person chooses how they fit in to it.

The best thing a parent can do is help a child learn to make rational choices within a difficult world; if you do this, and care about them, they will probably turn out well.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

um, i really don't think this generation is any worse than any of the previous generations.

actually, come to think of it, the main thing that this generation stands out for is not inventing any new angry music form, drug, technology or just about anything that adds to the whole cultural mix.

most of the previous generations had a few different cultural movements, this one doesn't seem to have any!!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I've heard some pretty crazy messed up things from my parents' youth generation in the 70's and when I compare them to now, I don't even see that big of a difference. It's just that now it seems like the population grown, so we see more of it.

In regards to the multitude of different influences to behavior with today's youth, the only significant difference is our societies lenience with taboos that were just less publicly known a few generations back, even though they were still going on. (thank you TV/Internet:up

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Pink Floyyd was right!
Say no to school!
The whole system is A tyrani!

People should can make money without any papers
out of school!

School is nowhere to be found In genghis khan time,
work, work work! that's why Genhis khan ruled big chunk of the world
because he learn on the streets! no schol school school....

THE MAIN PURPOSE OF SCHOOL IS:

1. To give the young something to do, in order not to disturb the older generation!

2. Learn to write and count and related to other human being

I'm not saying school is bad, but shortened the time alreaady!
let them breathe!

TH - The Spirit is far more intellegent than the brain

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Star for yah Asmeone

I have said this all along to my own newly 20 daughter. The world is full of choices and options and no one seems to teach the youth how to make choices that will reflect upon their futures in a positive way.

Its a NOW society. Immediate rewards and grossly delayed punishments/corrections.

The idea that time, effort and investment pay off seems lost in many kids I've talked to, worked with and helped raise. They don't seem to want to nor seem capable of understanding the concepts. If they can't have or see the rewards NOW they lose interest and move on to the next big immediate reward.

I am currently watching my 20 year old SMART daughter do this and it infuriates me and worries me. Even though she has been taught to consider options, work hard for what she wants and to value the rewards she earns...society and peers have pretty much undermined my efforts.

She's had 22 jobs in this last year and it's everyone else fault that she can't manage. She did have an apartment, was enrolled in College, had a job and the time and investment was too much for her...she couldn't maintain the interest and dropped out of it all to get a more immediate "fix" of good feelings.

Now she's in a youth shelter, can't hold down a job, may not be able to get back into school, has debt at only 20 that I don't even have at 40...I can't tell you how hard tough love is!!! I'm crushed at having to say no and watching her go without what I consider to be basic needs.

Her friends sadly, even the working ones are of the same mind.

She has the same outlook on her health...bi-polar and untreated. She'd rather get her "meds" in her own way without the effort of facing the illness and investing effort into becoming healthy. Takes too much time to get it all together and the rewards don't come easily enough or aren't as grand as she'd hope for.

many kids it seems make things far more complex than they really are, and I think this is to justify their behaviour as opposed to things really being that complex.

There are those kids however that get it. Either on their own or through tight families...I am hopeful that my girl will get it after she falls on her face a few more times...it's just so hard to watch and not try to rush in and "save" her.

Faith comes in handy sometimes

It's sad that as a society in general we aren't taught that simplicity can be very rewarding and that excess doesn't equate success or happiness.

the value system is a bit shot I fear.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join