It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One in five Guantanamo Bay detainees is on hunger strike

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Here is an interesting addition to the discussion of all these "innocent" prisoners at Gitmo...

Pentagon: 61 ex-Gitmo inmates return to terrorism

Just what in the hell did you expect the pentagon to say. They do have a vested interest in appearing to be the good guys rather than torturers and jailers of the innocent.
However their track record with the truth leaves something to be desired.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You're right. The Pentagon only lies, and everyone at Gitmo is innocent.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yeah, I suppose we could just ignore the Pentagon and take the terrorists word for it that they're innocent.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
reply to post by whaaa

You're right. The Pentagon only lies, and everyone at Gitmo is innocent.

Please tell me where I said EVERYONE at Gitmo is innocent.

I'm smart enough to know that it's not a black and white issue; However I don't slavishly bow down to authority.

Question Authority!!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

They do have a vested interest in appearing to be the good guys rather than torturers and jailers of the innocent.

Granted you didn't use the term "everyone".....but come on...

[edit on 14-1-2009 by nyk537]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

They do have a vested interest in appearing to be the good guys rather than torturers and jailers of the innocent.

Granted you didn't use the term "everyone".....but come on...

[edit on 14-1-2009 by nyk537]

No you come on....
Prove to me that the prisoners are guilty by anyother means than by what the people that detain them say.

Fair trials....when? where?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Is it your assertion that the US military/CIA just randomly selected folks for no reason whatsoever, to question/detain at Gitmo? Like I said before, there's different burdens of proof/due process with regard to a criminal prosecution vs. having actionable intel/reasonable suspicion that somebody did something, is doing something, is planning on doing something.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I have to say that out of 775 detainees,61 returning to terrorism is an awfully low number.. what are we supposed to gauge from this?

That 714 were innocent and wrongly imprisoned... as i said, 61 is a pathetic number to justify the monstrosity that is GITMO.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Is it your assertion that the US military/CIA just randomly selected folks for no reason whatsoever, to question/detain at Gitmo? Like I said before, there's different burdens of proof/due process with regard to a criminal prosecution vs. having actionable intel/reasonable suspicion that somebody did something, is doing something, is planning on doing something.

All that is very nice.. BUT, most of these people were put there with NO proof, evidence or a fair hearing or trial.. THAT is the point.
You cannot just pluck people from countries you're occupying Willy-nilly... it is not LEGAL.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I think we should release them all and just give them the White House. I'm sure they could all fit comfortably and use the kitchen staff and all the butlers and jazz. Close Guantanamo and just let them run the country.

I mean were screwed no matter what so lets at least take these men who basically sent to Hell, and let them take over and have free reign on anything they ever wanted.

Just an idea.

I bet if they heard my idea they would like it.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

All that is very nice.. BUT, most of these people were put there with NO proof, evidence or a fair hearing or trial.. THAT is the point.
You cannot just pluck people from countries you're occupying Willy-nilly... it is not LEGAL.

You're basing this on what exactly? Have you reviewed each of the detainees cases and evaluated the reason that they were captured and detained?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

From news reports and facts and figures... compiled by many organizations from legal to humanitarian..

I should not have to educate you... i cannot be blamed for your ignorance.

nyk537's own evidence showed that less than 10% of the detainees that been released have returned to terrorism.

Seriously... did you READ the thread at all??
Type in Guantanamo in the search bar in the top right of your screen and LEARN something.
You clearly don't want to read this thread, so go and educate yourself on another

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

I pray that neither you nor any of your family is ever picked up for suspicion that you did something, may do something or are planning on doing something and held with out recourse to justice.

I think you would be much happier if you could find it in your heart to exercise a little compassion.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

reply to post by whaaa

I pray that neither you nor any of your family is ever picked up for suspicion that you did something, may do something or are planning on doing something and held with out recourse to justice.

I think you would be much happier if you could find it in your heart to exercise a little compassion.

These folks weren't just picked up off the street, randomly. Not everyone that got picked up got sent to Gitmo. Probable cause for purposes of intel vs. criminal prosecution is different.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by BlueRaja

From news reports and facts and figures... compiled by many organizations from legal to humanitarian..

I should not have to educate you... i cannot be blamed for your ignorance.

nyk537's own evidence showed that less than 10% of the detainees that been released have returned to terrorism.

Seriously... did you READ the thread at all??
Type in Guantanamo in the search bar in the top right of your screen and LEARN something.
You clearly don't want to read this thread, so go and educate yourself on another

61(that we know about) out of 420 released have returned to terrorism. That's 15 percent. Of those remaining ~270, 60-80 have strong enough cases for a criminal trial. Many of the others can't be returned to their home countries for fear of retribution/torture upon their return, or the countries simply won't accept them. That's not to say that all the rest are innocent. It just means that they might have been guilty of some lesser offense, and not considered to be a high risk.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yes...

I am not going to keep :bnghd:
As i said... go and research... stop linking to the ONE article you can find to "support" this monstrosity.
The fact that you are, tells me i don't want to be discussing this with you.

It is an abomination that the entire world, including every human rights group, is against.... please, however you try and twist this or BS with half truths and blatant lies... it will not work.

It IS closing... FACT.

End of.

Deny ignorance...

Research

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join