It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas accepts Egypt’s Gaza ceasefire plan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Hamas accepts Egypt’s Gaza ceasefire plan

www.khaleejtimes.com

JERUSALEM - Hamas has accepted an Egyptian initiative designed to halt the war in the Gaza Strip, Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos said on Wednesday.

“Hamas is going to publicly express its support and acceptance,” Moratinos, the European Union’s former Middle East envoy, told reporters.

An Egyptian official, speaking on condition of anonymity, had earlier said that Hamas had agreed to the proposal drawn up by President Hosni Mubarak and Cairo was awaiting a response from Israel
(visit the link for the full news article)

Fixed headline per requirements.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
And Israel response came...

Report: Israeli defense officials back immediate Gaza ceasefire

JERUSALEM, Jan. 14 (Xinhua) -- Senior Israeli defense officials agree that Israel should reach an immediate ceasefire in the warring Gaza Strip, local daily Ha'aretz reported on Wednesday.

During meetings of high-ranking officers and officials from the army and other security establishments, they said Israel achieved all it possibly could in Gaza several days ago and that it is not advisable to further expand the offensive against Hamas, said the report.

news.xinhuanet.com...

www.khaleejtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

So 1000 dead - 5000 wounded was the goal?

[edit on 14-1-2009 by JanusFIN]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
6000 casualties.....that was their goal..
i mean how many hamas soldiers died??? HOW MANY!??!?
i see only children n mothers dying...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by metalmush

"Looks like so"... This is just in breaking news,

Gaza Medics Say Death Toll In Offensive Over 1,000

GAZA, Jan 14 (Reuters) - The number of Palestinians killed in a 19-day-old Israeli offensive in the Gaza Strip reached at least 1,000 on Wednesday, including hundreds of civilians, officials in the Hamas-run Health Ministry in the enclave said.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Another cease fire will give Hamas time to rearm, recruit/force, lick their wounds and reorganize. Hopefully, it will allow the civilians time to seek medical aid and open the doors to evacuate. Sadly, no neighboring nation wants the refugees.

This isn't over yet folks. It is nice to have hope but I think Hope abandoned this area decades ago.

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just trying to keep in touch with reality.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
GAZAN WOMN BREED MORE TERRORISTS & SUICIDE BOMBERS.
GAZAN CHILDEN GROW UP TO BE TERRORISTS & SUICIDE BOMBERS.

This is wht the Bible says the Lord told Israel to kill every man woman child and animal and to not take any spoils of the victories way back then . The same is still true today. SO YES, KILL THEM ALL Seems to be their goal for both sides of this battle.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

NOT SO FAST!!!

I made triple check before posting, amd three different newsrooms confirms possible truce, but now this came up from Reuters...

Hamas ceasefire report incorrect-Spanish formin

14 Jan 2009 17:23:25 GMT
Source: Reuters

MADRID, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Spain's foreign ministry said on Wednesday that a report quoting Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos as saying Hamas had accepted an Egyptian proposal for a Gaza ceasefire was incorrect.

"This report is not correct," a ministry spokesman said, referring to a report on the website of newspaper El Pais.

"The minister simply mentioned a piece of news that (news agency) EFE had put out saying that," the spokesman said. "He (Moratinos) does not have information from Hamas".

El Pais declined to comment on the Foreign Ministry's denial.

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I be pissed if Hamas accepted it. That would be kowtowing the Israel's bombings and oppression. Just keep firing those mortars and rockets into Israel, sooner or later Israel will give in.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well, good news for Israel I guess. Now they can just go back to keeping the Palestinians in their open-air prison; keep them walled in, deny them food, water, medicine, jobs etc... Continue to settle on Palestinian land. Continue to ignore the dozens of UN resolutions passed against them. And continue the illegal occupation and settlement of arab land.

So, in effect, nothing has changed for Israel. They got to go on a fun, genocidal killing spree of Palestinians under the phony guise of "self-defense", can continue their illegal oppression and can now "save face" by claiming to have accepted a cease-fire.

Prediction: It won't last and it won't change a thing. Until TRUE Jews stamp out Zionism and work in concert with other arab nations to establish a true two-state solution with internationally recognized borders, the Palestinians will continue to fight for their rightful place in the ME and their cause will continue to radicalize hundreds and thousands of arab youth for generations to come. Until such time, Israel will always live under the threat of terrorism - the same terror that they have spread throughout the region under the Irgun, Stern gang and Mossad.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I hope that you are correct and this is going to be over soon. Still, i do not understand why it had to happen as it did? From what i hear about Egyptian suggestion it is very similar to previous truce conditions. Israel did not achieve anything (no release of Shalit,no long term cease fire with Hamas) and Hamas did not achieve anything (no control over passages). It was needless conflict. Really. Even with refusal of one of the sides - i think you know which - to renew truce diplomatic pressure for more then a month would have brought similar new truce. And number of rockets fired at Israel would hardly be larger then due to this conflict. I fail to see any sense in what happens (or if you are correct - happened).

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Truce can come, but peace wont with these conditions...

Not without disarming Israel from its attack weaponry, and setting non-christian and non-muslim peacekeepers taking fortified and armed posts around both countries. Not without bordering Jewish community with effective anti-mortar and anti-rocket weaponry, managed by foreign forces.

Damage is already done - Gaza 911 is real - and Arabs will revenge this. It was sneak attack, so it takes some time to make counter moves, but wars will come soon... This genocide what we see its only a provocation to next phase.

But we need that truce to get wounded out from Gaza, evacuate many people as possible to West Bank and Jordania before next slaughtering will take place. We need to get childrens out!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Assuming this report is correct, let us hope Israel does not break the cease-fire agreement again anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Truce can come, but peace wont with these conditions...

Peace is when the good guys win, not when people stop shooting at each other.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
reply to post by kozmo

But we need that truce to get wounded out from Gaza, evacuate many people as possible to West Bank and Jordania before next slaughtering will take place. We need to get childrens out!

rite u r
IF thers a truce...UN atleast SHOULD DO SOMETHING which is getting all the childrens OUT!!...the children we are seeing today getting injured and recovering might become the next fighters. WE do not want that do we ?

whats the point of a truce ?? the damage has been done...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Now we get some "maybe" from Syria... Huh what a mess this war really is.

Syria's al-Assad says Hamas might accept ceasefire

Damascus/Tel Aviv - Hamas, the Islamist group controlling the Gaza Strip, might support a ceasefire under certain conditions, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Wednesday in an interview broadcast by the BBC. "They (Hamas) are for the ceasefire. But when we say ceasefire, we don't say ceasefire for just three days. It has to be sustainable," said al-Assad.

The prime ingredient to making a ceasefire sustainable, he said, is Israeli respect for the ceasefire. That would mean Israel would have to abstain from targeted assassinations of Hamas leaders, launched from military helicopters or drones.

www.earthtimes.org...

- Hamas is setting conditions, and that is seen same as defeat in Tel Aviv.

- Hamas wants to control timetable, that goes out from Israels planning and control... Sure something Israel wont accept, "because they are they, and only they are they, and they knows, because they are only they!"

- How to get guarantee that Israelis wont launch hellfires right very next day, when Hamas leader is taking his children from school? Only solution is banned non-fly zone and free airspace from all IAF planes over Gaza and West Bank. There should come international radars to clean the sky.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

CBS/AP) Egypt and Hamas were negotiating a proposal for a 10-day cease-fire in Gaza, officials said Wednesday, as the Palestinian death toll in the war passed 1,000 and smoke from Israeli airstrikes rose over Gaza City's devastated street

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
None of this means anything until Israel is ready to stop. At this point I don't think they care what Hamas or Egypt has to say. Granted they might concede a few days of rest here and there but it'll end when Israel wants it to.

This title is very misleading.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
10 days ?!??! what is this cease-fire???

is it like, "19 days already?!?..come on lets take rest and we start bombing again"..

no use ..its no cease-fire ..

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well i dont know if that ceasefire has been agreed but their may be more trouble ahead as israel are now massing troops on the lebanon border....
www.presstv.ir...

[edit on 14-1-2009 by cropmuncher]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Another cease fire will give Hamas time to rearm, recruit/force, lick their wounds and reorganize. Hopefully, it will allow the civilians time to seek medical aid and open the doors to evacuate. Sadly, no neighboring nation wants the refugees.

This isn't over yet folks. It is nice to have hope but I think Hope abandoned this area decades ago.

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just trying to keep in touch with reality.

Well if Hamas sees that Israel will remove the blockades and let the Palestinian people have access to basic necessities of life, and both sides stick to the agreements, then it is possible that a lasting peace may be within reach.

Cheers!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join