It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Consider Legal Action After Autistic Girl, 8, Arrested at School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Parents Consider Legal Action After Autistic Girl, 8, Arrested at School

www.abcnews.go.com

Police in Bonner County, Idaho, charged the girl, Evelyn Towry, with battery after the arrest Friday at Kootenai Elementary School.

Even though prosecutors dismissed the case Tuesday, the family is considering legal action against the school. They say their daughter was physically restrained to the point of causing bruises and is now tormented by memories of the incident.

Spring Towry said she got to the school Friday just in time to see 54-pound Evelyn -- who was diagnosed at age 5 with Asperger's Syndrome, a high functioning form of autism -- being walked to a police car with two officers at her side.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This is another one of those cases that has me scratching my head.

I keep seeing this type of thing pop up in relation to autistic children at school---The staff seems totally ignorant on how to deal with these children.

First, seperating her from the rest of the kids at the party, then the physical restraint, and then having her ARRESTED?

Why wouldn't these teachers just call the parents before going through all of this trauma and nonsense?

Seriously, BATTERY by a 54lb, 8 year old autistic child?

Unreal.

www.abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I don't know what to say, its so absolutely apparent that the US is a police state, and their school system is the most obvious way of seeing this. None of this would even be possible in Canada. Behavioral problems from learning disabled, or physically disabled elementary school children do not involve RCMP calls. Yes, if trouble is reached, the parents or emergency social services would have to be called, if the parent could not be reached, if it was extreme.

Guys change your system. You can't let anything slide there any more.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

That wouldn't be possible in ANY other country. You see americans.... aren't "right". I read about these things like once a month, only in USA. Arrest kids.. what the hell? For that? Its sick.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I work with Asperger's children all day long, and have seen things escalate to a scary point, and never have I even considered calling police. I have had to restrain children, and have left a few bruises on a child and on myself, but wow. This is apalling.

[edit on 1/14/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
At first I thought they had her arrested because she attacked another student, but she attacked the teachers who were mishandling her in the first place! I'm really glad the court threw her case out and I hope the school fires those teachers and hires people with a little more experience to care for children with special needs.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
What's really disturbing about this is that this is NOT the first time I have read about autistic children being mistreated by the school system and staff members. There appears to be a total lack of understanding of how to deal with these children, and it appears to be a trend. There should be specialized teachers brought in with training to take these children under their wing IMHO.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
What's really disturbing about this is that this is NOT the first time I have read about autistic children being mistreated by the school system and staff members. There appears to be a total lack of understanding of how to deal with these children, and it appears to be a trend. There should be specialized teachers brought in with training to take these children under their wing IMHO.

I have a feeling that most school systems wouldn't want to spend the extra money on getting a specialized teacher for these students.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Seriously, BATTERY by a 54lb, 8 year old autistic child?

It's pathetic.

new topics

top topics

join